Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good old British Fish and Chips

albionite

May 20, 2009
When you (if ever) next time buy a piece of fresh Cod, put it in a bowl of water to soak for ten minutes or so. See what emerges into the water.

A lot of cod has parasites but the worms turn white when cooked so you never know they are there. Ignorance is bliss

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
IMHO apart from having quality ingredients, it is essential to cook the fish and chips in fresh oil.

Beef dripping certainly imparts a distinctive flavour to the chips, especially if they have an authentic earthy potato flavour.

A nice creamy fresh piece of haddock coated in a light beer batter, cooked to order and served with quality chips, with a decent sprinkling of salt and vinegar is superb. Plus fresh mushy peas with a hint of mint. Maybe accompanied by a beer or wine but IMHO you cannot beat fish and chips served with bread and butter and hot tea.

Might not be the healthiest option, so deep fried fish has to be an occasional treat. Doesn't mean you can't have fish at the other times though - steamed, poached etc

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
And probably a bit healthier, Haddock are primarily bottom feeders, whereas cod will feed anywhere and eat absolutely anything. That said, once anything has been coated in a thick batter and deep fried, the word 'healthy' pretty much disappears.

I'm not so sure about that. Surely cod poo sinks to the bottom?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Them there Vietnamese River Cobbler were a bit controversial. 'Meaty' flavor but full of all types of goodies apparently. Well I like 'em and I'm alive to tell the tale.

Addick

Jan 20, 2008
Addick is the S London version of Haddock-hence Charltons nickname. There was a local chippy owner near the Valley that used to offer the team a fish meal after a good win

Come on you Addicks

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Addick is the S London version of Haddock-hence Charltons nickname. There was a local chippy owner near the Valley that used to offer the team a fish meal after a good win

Come on you Addicks

Really? That's excellent. I like that! [emoji2]

Pistol Knight

Apr 7, 2014
There seems to have been an absolute plethora of threads on here of late relating to fast food. We have pretty much run the complete gamut. Everything from burger and chips to curry, via Chinese, kebabs and pizza.

As much as l enjoy all of the above, l think my personal favourite just has to be the one and only, the original, the classic, British take away, which is fish and chips.

That said, if you are a fish and chips fan like me, what fish would you choose to order? For me it would be skate, deep fried in beer batter.

Not sure beer batter is original......

I love fish & chips, choice of fish would be Rock (can you still get it?) the chips have to be well cooked though4, too many places give you white chips (this time of year is bad because of "new" potatoes) used to love Fridays going round the chippie with my Dad to get our dinner, the guy used to give me a bag of "crispy" bit (and it was better in newspaper) and WTF is it with some shops that try to lock your chips in those fecking awful polystyrene containers that make the chips "sweat" and go soft!!!

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I love fish and chips, but can't stomach batter, literally as it gives me a bad migraine. So it's breaded fish and chips for me from the supermarket. Tartare sauce and some mushy peas not the side.

M&S do an excellent fish and chip pie!

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
I'm simple - cod and chips, possibly a battered sausage (ooh err) if i fancy it. LOTs of vinegar, bleddy love the stuff.

Haven't found anywhere that stands out in Littlehampton for F&C. Any suggestions? My usual trek is to go to Fred's.

Micks Chips in Sea Lane, Rustington is the Monkeys Chunkys.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Living oop north now the Fish and chips is so much better always Haddock skinned boned and light batter superb :) But as I quit eating fish about 8 years ago I just have chips and potato fritter

You like fried potatoes with your fried potatoes then?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I'm simple - cod and chips, possibly a battered sausage (ooh err) if i fancy it. LOTs of vinegar, bleddy love the stuff.

Haven't found anywhere that stands out in Littlehampton for F&C. Any suggestions? My usual trek is to go to Fred's.

Ye Olde Fish and Chippe Shoppe in Middleton is not too far away from you and is hard to beat.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For a take away I go for cod, but eat-in would go for something a bit different.

The Broadwater fish shop is quite good. I have been recommended Chipwicks on Worthing seafront but not tried it yet.
In Worthing I like Macaris best or the one Coop at The Lamb in Durrington or Lower Salvington as the snobs try to call it.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here