Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good old British Fish and Chips

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Back in the 70s, couldn't beat Bardsleys (later J&E) in The Dip, Hollingdean. in more recent times, Fishers in Burgess Hill. A tidy piece of Cod.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Haddock and chips, loads of salt and vinegar.

In my personal opinion, the chippies up here are FAR better than anything i've had in Brighton (Bankers, Bardlseys et al).

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Maggies on the beach, by the fish market/harbour in Hastings is superb. Fresh fish, decent batter and what's more there's lots of it!

I'm simple - cod and chips, possibly a battered sausage (ooh err) if i fancy it. LOTs of vinegar, bleddy love the stuff.

Haven't found anywhere that stands out in Littlehampton for F&C. Any suggestions? My usual trek is to go to Fred's.

Micks Chips Sea Lane Rustington is fabby, the chips are fantastic, give it a try soon & you'll never go back to Freds

Osca's is ok but the bloke who runs it is a miserable git!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Haddock & Chips from Andy's Fish Bar in Chichester .... the biz!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
New Chip Shop up at Hove station, Not bad at all! will be handy before evening games next season.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If it is available, I would ALWAYS go for Rock/Huss or whatever you want to call it. Failing that, Haddock.

For anybody over this way, I would recommend Vic's Fish bar in Fair Oak (Sandy lane, next to the Coop), even though hey don't do Rock. They were open for years in Chandlers Ford, then Vic retired, has now got bored and opened up in Fair Oak.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Couple of trips back to UK.....I think in November... I had Fish and chips from a place on the seafront....was ill for two days, ie my entire visit to UK

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
When you (if ever) next time buy a piece of fresh Cod, put it in a bowl of water to soak for ten minutes or so. See what emerges into the water.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
On a recent blind tasting on the tellybox, once battered and deep fried few could tell the difference between cod, haddock and pollock.
I am sure there will be foodies on here though that can.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Micks Chips Sea Lane Rustington is fabby, the chips are fantastic, give it a try soon & you'll never go back to Freds

Osca's is ok but the bloke who runs it is a miserable git!

Nice one, cheers mate - i'll give it a try!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
On a recent blind tasting on the tellybox, once battered and deep fried few could tell the difference between cod, haddock and pollock.
I am sure there will be foodies on here though that can.

I am no foodie but I can easily tell the difference between Pollack, Cod and Haddock.
Cod and Haddock are similar but Pollack is totally different no where near as tasty and better off in fish pies.
My preference is Haddock, Plaice then Cod.
Always makes me smile when people say the best fish and chips is from Grimsby or somewhere particular, true it always seems better when eaten by the sea ( why is that?) but like steak it depends on the quality of the fish and batter, what it is cooked in and the skill of the fryer.
The winners of best fish and chips is often inland.
Last thing, you cannot beat the smell of a fish and chip shop. Walking towards one makes me instantly hungry.

Camicus

Living oop north now the Fish and chips is so much better always Haddock skinned boned and light batter superb :) But as I quit eating fish about 8 years ago I just have chips and potato fritter

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here