Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Ground v AMEX

In an ideal world what would you be happier with?

• A redeveloped Goldstone Ground

Votes: 71 42.8%
  • AMEX

Votes: 95 57.2%

• Total voters

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
People got there, that's all that matters. People parked all over the place. The point is that the Goldstone coped with crowds well in excess of 30,000 and that was you question.

My point was about putting a scale pic of the Amex over the footprint of the Goldstone and shouting 'it fits' without adding the other areas the council would have wanted provision for before any redevelopment would have been allowed.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
My point was about putting a scale pic of the Amex over the footprint of the Goldstone and shouting 'it fits' without adding the other areas the council would have wanted provision for before any redevelopment would have been allowed.

Steady on, no way did I shout "it fits" I just posted that image to help this thread visualise that the stadium had a problem with Goldstone Lane and it would have had to have been shifted westwards and we couldn't have gone for the oval shape.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So the Goldstone site dealt with with same number of coaches and cars week in week out as the Amex does? Where did they all park?

Seeing as how it was slap bang in the middle of town with excellent transport links it never crossed most people's minds to go by car.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I would say Withdean. I don't quite know why, but some of the magic that the AMEX gave has gone. The Amex just feels like we are playing in another stadium, whilst the Withdean felt different.You felt closer to the team (even though you were physically further away) and the fans were all in unison. Now, with the Amex, expectation went up to stupid levels, people moan about every little thing, even the singing seems like two different factions, instead of the in unison H block. I feel that at the moment, while spectacular to look at, the Amex doen't have the same feeling to it.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It would be The Goldstone for me- nothing will ever replace town centre based grounds that exist a stones throw from local pubs.

el punal

Good thread. The Goldstone was wonderful on big matches played in the evening, think of the promotion nights against Rochdale (1972), Sheffield Wed (1977), the League Cup tie against Derby and the 2-0 win against Palace in 1976 in front of 33,500 fans. Saturday afternoon games, however, I felt lacked the same atmosphere.

As for the facilities, well the least said the better. We basically had a third division ground when we were in the old first division.

The Amex, on the other hand, is a dream come true. State of the art stadium without being a soulless concrete bowl. And when it counts the atmosphere is amazing - Liverpool in the League Cup, Palace when we beat them 3-0, that "great escape" vocal support against Burnley, and, of course the first league game with Doncaster.

So to sum up, the Goldstone was like an old crumbling family home past it's sell-by date but with wonderful memories. The Amex is the future and with a bit of class to boot.

The Amex for me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good thread. The Goldstone was wonderful on big matches played in the evening, think of the promotion nights against Rochdale (1972), Sheffield Wed (1977), the League Cup tie against Derby and the 2-0 win against Palace in 1976 in front of 33,500 fans. Saturday afternoon games, however, I felt lacked the same atmosphere.

As for the facilities, well the least said the better. We basically had a third division ground when we were in the old first division.

The Amex, on the other hand, is a dream come true. State of the art stadium without being a soulless concrete bowl. And when it counts the atmosphere is amazing - Liverpool in the League Cup, Palace when we beat them 3-0, that "great escape" vocal support against Burnley, and, of course the first league game with Doncaster.

So to sum up, the Goldstone was like an old crumbling family home past it's sell-by date but with wonderful memories. The Amex is the future and with a bit of class to boot.

The Amex for me.

Fair enough, but you've not answered OP's question :shrug:

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Loved the Goldstone but you'd never get anything like that on the site - the world moves on

Jan 30, 2008
Goldstone all day long,the heart and soul of all things BHAFC, HOW CAN YOU COMPARE IT WITH A PLASTICS FANTASTIC STADIUM WITH NO REAL CHARACTER , CLACKERS AND THEME GAMES:shrug:
regards
DR

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
So the Goldstone site dealt with with same number of coaches and cars week in week out as the Amex does? Where did they all park?

I can remember Leeds having 22 - 50 seater coaches down here one year and my brother said Man U had 58 one another occasion.

Thing is the Goldstone was 4 acres? the Amex 8 and most modern stadium require 12 acres,so now as was the case pre 1997,Brighton must be congratulated on making the most of such uncompromising site.

As for the cars,on street parking,the co-op and greyhound stadium car parks,Brighton,Hove,Aldrington and fishersgate,southwick railway stations...to name a few.

Walking? easy

Finally geographically,the Goldstone was more or less dead centre of the whole Brighton conurbation.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I can remember Leeds having 22 - 50 seater coaches down here one year and my brother said Man U had 58 one another occasion.

Thing is the Goldstone was 4 acres? the Amex 8 and most modern stadium require 12 acres,so now as was the case pre 1997,Brighton must be congratulated on making the most of such uncompromising site.

As for the cars,on street parking,the co-op and greyhound stadium car parks,Brighton,Hove,Aldrington and fishersgate,southwick railway stations...to name a few.

Walking? easy

Finally geographically,the Goldstone was more or less dead centre of the whole Brighton conurbation.

Not sure how co-op would feel about that on a Saturday afternoon!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Not sure how co-op would feel about that on a Saturday afternoon!

Most car parks give 2 hours at supermarkets,to be fair there were stewards on duty back then,still nothing to stop the missus doing a couple of hours shopping..

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill

Walking? easy

I am still not sure all those places you have mentioned would cope with the cars that park near the Amex every match

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Sorry I don't go there very often these days...no football ground anymore:cry:
I'm a 5 minute walk away. I'll miss seeing Orlandi doing his shopping:(

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I am still not sure all those places you have mentioned would cope with the cars that park near the Amex every match

I guess compared to then and now there are far more cars on the road today,but what with the wider areas,parking in Southwick for example and bus train or walking..places like Coldean lane are far more visible and going east the next street parking is Lewes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here