Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Ground v AMEX

In an ideal world what would you be happier with?

• A redeveloped Goldstone Ground

Votes: 71 42.8%
  • AMEX

Votes: 95 57.2%

• Total voters

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
In the most perfect of perfect worlds we would have had a 45,000 seater at the Sainsburys west hove site..benfield valley

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
My heart says Goldstone and my head says Amex. I grew up in Hove and lived in Goldstone Villas, I could get ready and wander up to the Cliftonville, have a couple of pints and take a leisurely stroll over the bridge to the ground and after the match I'd be home by 17:15. Obviously this is steeped in nostalgia which slightly skews my judgement, after all these days I live in High Salvington so a commute would be inevitable but leaving at 1pm now to my booked car park does not quite feel the same.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
No contest; a redeveloped Goldstone. I love the Amex but the Goldstone location and the history will make me choose the old lady anytime.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Amex, all day long.

The Goldstone still wouldn't have had a roof over the east stand.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Agree with previous post, tarting up the aging ground in a residential area would look like, erm I dunno, a bit tacky and tinpot and we are better than that given a great opportunity. Nobody would try and do that Shirley?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Why not? They've managed to fit in a bloody great retail park.

Goldstone Lane encroached the East Stand. The only thing they could have possibly done was move the stadium to the west so that it sat on Newtown Road and part of of the Sackville Road Trading Estate.

This is the Goldstone with Amex overlay, though a rectangle stadium would have had to be designed instead of an oval one;

AmexvGoldstone.jpg

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

Goldstone Lane encroached the East Stand. The only thing they could have possibly done was move the stadium to the west so that it sat on Newtown Road and part of of the Sackville Road Trading Estate.

This is a a the Goldstone with Amex overlay, though a rectangle stadium would have had to be designed instead of an oval one;

View attachment 54804

Nice work.

Looks good to me, Goldstone easily i suspect a lot of the Amex voters never went often to the Goldstone or were to young to remember.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill

This is the Goldstone with Amex overlay, though a rectangle stadium would have had to be designed instead of an oval one;

View attachment 54804

Of course you need space for car and coach parks, not sure how many cars are parked on a match day now

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
In an ideal world the Amex would not have been necessary. But for me it's a great improvement and far easier to get to.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Don't think you can compare the two.

Whilst the Goldstone holds a lot of great memories for me, it was getting very run down and would have been totally out of date today.
I was brought up standing on the old East terrace but give me the Amex any day of the week. It's wonderful.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Of course you need space for car and coach parks, not sure how many cars are parked on a match day now

Coaches would have dropped off and then park down by the Lagoon on the Shoreham Harbour road section, I think that is what they did anyway. Most people wouldn't need a car and those that did could P&R from Waterhall.

It would have been a mighty task to aquire land to the west, but as far as ideal location, not the feasabilty the Goldstone wins for me, but Falmer was more realistic. I just hate the 50 mins to get out of the Bridge car park and miss the easy stroll too and from the the Goldstone. I also miss hearing the roar of the crowd in the distance when I didn't attend, as it travelled for miles across the towns.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Coaches would have dropped off and then park down by the Lagoon on the Shoreham Harbour road section, I think that is what they did anyway. Most people wouldn't need a car and those that did could P&R from Waterhall.

It would have been a mighty task to aquire land to the west, but as far as ideal location, not the feasabilty the Goldstone wins for me, but Falmer was more realistic. I just hate the 50 mins to get out of the Bridge car park and miss the easy stroll too and from the the Goldstone. I also miss hearing the roar of the crowd in the distance when I didn't attend, as it travelled for miles across the towns.

The average crowd was much smaller was it not, how would the area deal with 26k every game?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Aren't people missing the point? A redeveloped Goldstone would then itself not be the Goldstone that people have fond memories of attending.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The average crowd was much smaller was it not, how would the area deal with 26k every game?

We were seeing 28 -30,000 crowds in its peak and dispersal of crowds at the Goldstone was so much easier.

I am not saying we should have stayed there, it was more about an easy to get to location for most people, I just don't enjoy the Amex travelling experience. If I lived in Moulscombe I would think differently though.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So the Goldstone site dealt with with same number of coaches and cars week in week out as the Amex does? Where did they all park?

People got there, that's all that matters. People parked all over the place. The point is that the Goldstone coped with crowds well in excess of 30,000 and that was you question.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here