[Albion] Going to France. On the plane. WITH YOUR CAR.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I can remember my parents using this service back in the day. Don’t think they did it very often and tended to use the ferries for their European holidays.
I think we had an ancient piece of cine film somewhere featuring the Silver City ‘flying machines.’

I have said on another thread that when I was a youngster My dad took us to France using the Bristol freighters. We flew from Lydd to Le Touquet and I mostly remember the way the aircraft shook as it revved up for take off. Also, my dad was usually quite frugal so I don't think it can have been that expensive, but have no idea on the actual cost.
My Uncle was a Bristol Freighter pilot based at Lydd for several years doing these flights. As a small kid I would spend time there in the summer holidays watching these aircraft 'consume' their load of cars and passengers.
In later years I worked for BIA whose Dart Heralds operated the Silver Arrow service from Gatwick to Le Touquet - passengers getting the train from Victoria to Gatwick and then from Le Touquet to Gare du Nord. The Chunnel put an end to that in 1980.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Some of the Brylcreem boys on here might share a comment about aircraft payload-masters.
Adding the weight of a car [or 3] on to an aircraft could seriously affect the centre of balance, I would have thought.
I'm sure they had it all worked out.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Random fact, I have flown on one of those. I was very young but I think it was on a flight to Wildenwrath in Germany, my father was in the army. There was some sort of drama on landing and a fire engine was running alongside the plane when we landed. Not needed though. Bristol Freighter?

I have also flown on Dakotas (gave me my fear of flying with the drops that had your stomach in your mouth through air pockets), a Britannia, a Viscount, a Comet, a Stratocruiser (with a stand up bar upfront that kids weren’t allowed in) and Concorde :smile:

Stratocruiser bar
Thats a double decker bus!

I've been in 3 different concordes . . .none of them left the ground!

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Not France with your car on a plane but cost my dad a small fortune in the mid 80s when we and two other families drove down to the Cote D'Azur for a camping holiday. Glorious two weeks, fun had by all etc when on the intended return we stopped in Toulon I think it was where every day we saw a train depart for Calais which you loaded your car onto. Think it was something like £250 back then but apparently I whinged and cried so much that we had to use it to get home... Do I remember any of it? Do I fu..........

I can remember my parents using this service back in the day. Don’t think they did it very often and tended to use the ferries for their European holidays.
I think we had an ancient piece of cine film somewhere featuring the Silver City ‘flying machines.’
Thats a double decker bus!

I've been in 3 different concordes . . .none of them left the ground!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports