Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Going to France. On the plane. WITH YOUR CAR.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I can remember my parents using this service back in the day. Don’t think they did it very often and tended to use the ferries for their European holidays.
I think we had an ancient piece of cine film somewhere featuring the Silver City ‘flying machines.’

I have said on another thread that when I was a youngster My dad took us to France using the Bristol freighters. We flew from Lydd to Le Touquet and I mostly remember the way the aircraft shook as it revved up for take off. Also, my dad was usually quite frugal so I don't think it can have been that expensive, but have no idea on the actual cost.
My Uncle was a Bristol Freighter pilot based at Lydd for several years doing these flights. As a small kid I would spend time there in the summer holidays watching these aircraft 'consume' their load of cars and passengers.
In later years I worked for BIA whose Dart Heralds operated the Silver Arrow service from Gatwick to Le Touquet - passengers getting the train from Victoria to Gatwick and then from Le Touquet to Gare du Nord. The Chunnel put an end to that in 1980.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here