Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Going backwards in every respect

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's SO worrying having SO many issues still SO far in to the season. Remind me, how many games have we played.

I would understand it if the transfer window had already closed without us doing significant business and we were still not performing.

It's just one game. Calm down, Dear(s).

You can't have been at the game yesterday.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some good points, but also some exaggerating going in various posts. The Albion have played far worse in many home games in the Amex era. Just a few that spring to mind: being outclassed by Millwall and Watford Xmas 2012, inept against a shocking Blackpool team and Championship whipping boys last April, embarrassed by Forest Oct'2013, little old Barnsley winning at the Amex Dec 2013, Ipswich last March. I remember the boos, and the ground half empty (far more than usual) on 80 minutes.

I hope/believe that Bloom will get quality transfers in by 1st Sept, especially up front, LB and in midfield creativity.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Yep I have thought this myself and it could be a problem. All the clubs who know they will probably face an embargo are stocking up with the best pick of players, I would.

This will mean that they will show the door to their worst players who will be cheap to pick up. Every club has their own FFP strategy and I am not too sure that we have been thinking outside the box on this, and have taken too strict an approach without looking at different scenarios and what will happen if our plan backfires.

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that we are one of the best supported clubs in this division and the primary target should be to keep it that way and ride on top of that wave.

If we don't do better than Bournemouth with 12k gates this season there is something fundamentally wrong with our strategy either with FFP or the way we are projecting ourselves to potential signings in the market.

Still, that said, I cannot judge the rest of the season on a game where we were down to 10 men, and we still might get some important signings before the window closes. Hopefully some discontent being shown amongst fans may make them try harder because if we treat the club like the Emperor's New Clothes we wouldn’t be helping them.

Not just one game, we've lost four out of the last five, its becoming a habit

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It's SO worrying having SO many issues still SO far in to the season. Remind me, how many games have we played.

I would understand it if the transfer window had already closed without us doing significant business and we were still not performing.

It's just one game. Calm down, Dear(s).

But we should be ready for when the season starts. Yesterdays performance was woeful, maybe the club should not start taking the DD for the season until the transfer window closes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Some good points, but also some exaggerating going in various posts. The Albion have played far worse in many home games in the Amex era. Just a few that spring to mind: being outclassed by Millwall and Watford Xmas 2012, inept against a shocking Blackpool team and Championship whipping boys last April, embarrassed by Forest Oct'2013, little old Barnsley winning at the Amex Dec 2013, Ipswich last March. I remember the boos, and the ground half empty (far more than usual) on 80 minutes.

I hope/believe that Bloom will get quality transfers in by 1st Sept, especially up front, LB and in midfield creativity.

Those games were with complete squads and bedded in managers. If you're happy to play Calde left wingback, Fenelon "somewhere advanced" and JFC as a holding midfielder, carry on. Sami isn't.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I know it cant be helped,but starting the season,with the window still open,is not ideal . The club have proclaimed the squad ,will be competitive come the end of August.I for one am prepared to give the club that time. I can only hope the squad that is assembled is competitive for a top 6 finish,and not a bottom 6 scramble......!

Thing is the transfer window has always been like that. However, I do agree that we have to wait until the end of the month. After all, we were after Ulloa for a long time before we landed him in the January Window.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Thing is the transfer window has always been like that. However, I do agree that we have to wait until the end of the month. After all, we were after Ulloa for a long time before we landed him in the January Window.
But the club knew when the season started and they should have been ready for it, why do we have to wait for the end of the transfer window to add to the squad when we have targets that we are apparently looking at?
We needed to hit the ground running with a strong squad then add to it if needed to at the end of the window.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But the club knew when the season started and they should have been ready for it, why do we have to wait for the end of the transfer window to add to the squad when we have targets that we are apparently looking at?
We needed to hit the ground running with a strong squad then add to it if needed to at the end of the window.

It's the same for every team though. Some have got their targets and some, like us, are still pursuing them. Is it ideal? No. Is it reality? Yes.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It's the same for every team though. Some have got their targets and some, like us, are still pursuing them. Is it ideal? No. Is it reality? Yes.

Then the club should start taking my DD for season ticket when the transfer window closes,because they seem happy to write off the games being played up to the end of August. I don't give a sh#t about what other clubs are doing or when they want to buy players, all I want is for the club that I support and pay good money to go and see to be ready for when the season starts not play catch up.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Be interesting to see if the club react this week to losing Crofts for 3 matches ...we r seriously lacking quality in the middle of the park

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Then the club should start taking my DD for season ticket when the transfer window closes,because they seem happy to write off the games being played up to the end of August. I don't give a sh#t about what other clubs are doing or when they want to buy players, all I want is for the club that I support and pay good money to go and see to be ready for when the season starts not play catch up.

:facepalm:

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I agree, let's sell the AMEX and ask to share with....I dunnoo....Gillingham! This club is sooooo going backwards I want div 2 maybe div 3 football in a ground not our own and with max 3k supporters. .......and I hate pies too!!!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
You're assuming all the other clubs have got all of their targets?

Most of the clubs you expect to be up there have strengthened significantly.

Please wake up!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Please remove your hands from your eyes, rest assured the teams that want to challenge have 95% of there players in place already and havent missed the boat unlike us. This seems to be the norm now though hence Obika, Dobbie, etc etc coming in so late and being utter failures

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Oh dear - can't you read? Where did anyone say ALL the other clubs had got their targets? Not even you said that - you quite clearly stated that SOME clubs had already got their targets (read your own post) and I merely asked why we can't be one of those, rather than being among the also rans who haven't.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Oh dear - can't you read? Where did anyone say ALL the other clubs had got their targets? Not even you said that - you quite clearly stated that SOME clubs had already got their targets (read your own post) and I merely asked why we can't be one of those, rather than being among the also rans who haven't.

How does anyone know that all the contenders have got all their targets. We know Boro are still pursuing at least one. Yes, it would be good if we had in place what we wanted but every club, from Man City down to the basement of League 2, will be pursuing targets right up until 31st August. The point I'm making is that we know the club are not going to throw money at signings just to please a few bedwetters. We know how hard the club negotiate, look at the deal for Ulloa. Never worth the money Leicester paid but it seems some would have accepted a considerably lower sum just because they were getting annoyed with the whole saga. Like you, I would rather all our business had been done before the start of the season but it wasn't, it never is.

With regard to late signings, can someone remind on what date we signed Vicente? Ulloa came in the January window rather than the preceding August.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here