Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Glenn on Sky Sports this morning

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If I can’t even SEE my mother, kids or grandkids then I don’t see why footballers are allowed to have contact with each other.

Absolutely. I haven’t seen my (70+) mother (we lost my dad a few months ago too) for weeks, and more sadly she hasn’t seen her grandkids....my son hasn’t seen his girlfriend (who lives a mile away) for weeks........but apparently Dunk can grab Aubameyang by the bollocks at a corner and that’s safe. What a load of shite.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Exactly. It doesn't matter how logical, well-presented or reasonable anything the club says is any more. A large section of the media and other clubs' supporters just want to paint it as "you just don't want to get relegated" regardless. It's like trying to engage with Tyrone Biggums on the Trump thread – unrelentingly pointless.

Biggums? I have him on ignore. I'd rather talk to the cat.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
If that’s lifted in 2022 for example, should we see no (behind closed doors) football in the UK until then?

I really don’t know the answer. I know people keep saying there’s risks in life, but on this occasion you are potentially tasking risks with other people’s lives.

I wish I knew the answer, but I just think at the moment there is an indecent rush to restart. Some of the players clearly feel it too.

Let’s throw a question out there. If this virus had come along in between seasons, would we be having this conversation? Would there be a rush to start a new season on time?

I think people’s views would be different without the spectre of the unfinished season and the ramifications hanging over it...

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Sounds like Sunday league park football.

7AB70B26-9FA6-4E5B-AEA6-5F7F2F20C2A8.jpeg

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

I'm sorry as much as I love Glenn I totally disagree with this standpoint he and some of the other clubs in the bottom 6 seem to have about not being relegated if the Championship can't complete its season. At first look it might seem a reasonable argument and all about fairness but you need to explore why the PL might be able to finish its season and why the Championship might not, ultimately money. The PL can afford to spend £4m+ on testing for all its players through training and the periods between the remaining games plus all the extra and additional protocols taking place, paying all of the staff who will still need to be in and around the grounds on a matchday, the Championship becuase of the huge gulf in finances between the league might not. So to say we might finish in the bottom 3 and deserve to go down but because we played in a league where we could afford to finish but the teams at the top of the Championship cannot because they ultimately cannot afford to is wrong. It's a case of pulling up the drawbridge on the lower division and self protectionism.

On this point he is totally acting with his own and his clubs interests at heart, if this hit in 2017 when we were on course for promotion how would he and how would we feel if the PL stuck two fingers up at us and said no promotion if you're unable to complete your fixtures?? I think we'd all be pretty angry at the self indulgance, arrogance and 'in it for their own interests only' PL. As a club I'd like to think after what we've been through and days like Fans United and all the hardship we have encountered we have more moral fibre than most, so these comments are dissapointing and certainly undermine some of his other points on when we should return to playing football where he is not acting in self interest at all.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I'm sorry as much as I love Glenn I totally disagree with this standpoint he and some of the other clubs in the bottom 6 seem to have about not being relegated if the Championship can't complete its season. At first look it might seem a reasonable argument and all about fairness but you need to explore why the PL might be able to finish its season and why the Championship might not, ultimately money. The PL can afford to spend £4m+ on testing for all its players through training and the periods between the remaining games plus all the extra and additional protocols taking place, paying all of the staff who will still need to be in and around the grounds on a matchday, the Championship becuase of the huge gulf in finances between the league might not. So to say we might finish in the bottom 3 and deserve to go down but because we played in a league where we could afford to finish but the teams at the top of the Championship cannot because they ultimately cannot afford to is wrong. It's a case of pulling up the drawbridge on the lower division and self protectionism.

On this point he is totally acting with his own and his clubs interests at heart, if this hit in 2017 when we were on course for promotion how would he and how would we feel if the PL stuck two fingers up at us and said no promotion if you're unable to complete your fixtures?? I think we'd all be pretty angry at the self indulgance, arrogance and 'in it for their own interests only' PL. As a club I'd like to think after what we've been through and days like Fans United and all the hardship we have encountered we have more moral fibre than most, so these comments are dissapointing and certainly undermine some of his other points on when we should return to playing football where he is not acting in self interest at all.

I used to think you posted a lot of common sense crodonilson - and surprised by your stance. But if we were in the same boat in the Championship, I'd
realised that the PL looks after itself primarily and wouldn't hold your view. I'd be thinking 'we're screwed'.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Not just what you can afford to pay it’s about what you lose as well. The bottom six can’t afford to lose £200m playing out games under different rules and conditions but they are being made to. If the championship cannot afford to complete its fixtures why should their top sides get the riches for promotion?

And that’s before you even touch on the integrity of not finishing given none of the top 6 are mathematically up yet (even clubs currently outside the top 6 could have been promoted had the season carried on as normal)

I am with Glenn on this one

Yoda

English & European
Not just what you can afford to pay it’s about what you lose as well. The bottom six can’t afford to lose £200m playing out games under different rules and conditions but they are being made to. If the championship cannot afford to complete its fixtures why should their top sides get the riches for promotion?

And that’s before you even touch on the integrity of not finishing given none of the top 6 are mathematically up yet (even clubs currently outside the top 6 could have been promoted had the season carried on as normal)

I am with Glenn on this one

Lets also not forget how many years in a row Leeds have bottled it at the end of the season.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I quite agree with the players who are coming out and saying they don't think it's safe or justifiable to start playing football again yet. If enough of them stand up and say 'No' then all the current daft plans and wheezes will have to be dropped -as they should have been in the first place.

I do hope though, that they realise that saying no for their safety and their families should also be accompanied by an agreement to be furloughed, as their jobs, at the present, basically just do not exist. They can't work from home, and social distancing is not possible at work.

Completely agree.

But as Glenn also pointed out, they are elite athletes who are accustomed to full preparation before a match and ice baths, massages and treatment post march. They are being asked to turn up 15 minutes before kick-off with just enough time to have a wee and put their boots on, then play 90 minutes of football and drive home within 15 minutes of the final whistle without so much as a warm shower.

Then repeat eight more times in a short space of time. Meanwhile, not unreasonably in my view, he doesn't accept that if the Prem plays out the season and relegates three clubs, the EPL should be able to select three clubs to replace them from the top of the Championship without them fighting for the rest of the season to earn the right.

Completely agree. And this nonsense will not occur as the PL and FA would be sued to **** by the teams negatively affected. I still reckon it's all a scam so that they (PL / EFL) can try to cash in on their insurance having "tried every other option" (none of which are possible or make any sense). It's only Leeds and Liverpool who want the season finished anyway so who cares? The rest of football will just LAUGH at them.

I'm sure that cjd's feelings wouldbe reciprocal on the running the country bit. Perhaps it us our glorious PM's initial cavalier attitude to all this that means things have been as bad as they have - the worst in Europe.

As has been pointed out many times. We don't know if that is true yet, and may never. And I'm the last person to be an apologist for this shambles of a government. But don't post that as fact as it's a bit annoying. Spain, Italy care homes, villages, untested deaths blah blah blah.....

Biggums? I have him on ignore. I'd rather talk to the cat.

He's disappeared since Dettolgate. Biggums I mean, not your cat.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I really don’t know the answer. I know people keep saying there’s risks in life, but on this occasion you are potentially tasking risks with other people’s lives.

I wish I knew the answer, but I just think at the moment there is an indecent rush to restart. Some of the players clearly feel it too.

Let’s throw a question out there. If this virus had come along in between seasons, would we be having this conversation? Would there be a rush to start a new season on time?

I think people’s views would be different without the spectre of the unfinished season and the ramifications hanging over it...

Hi,

With people having to walk past each in a row of 28 seats, even if clubs allowed only 25% capacity per stand, clearly social distancing cannot be attained. Faces will be literally a foot or two apart max when people pass. For that reason, I think stadium spectator sports, along with the cinema, will be the last to open for punters. 2021, 2022, who knows?

A personal view, different to yours, I think the urge by the TB's/PB's of this world for matches to take place, would be very strong whenever covid19 had struck. If lockdown had occurred exactly two months later, assuming that we stayed up, for 2020/21 the Albion would I think have been looking to receive the following PL distributions of income:
July 2020 £50m
Dec 2020 £50m
May 2021 £15m

With no football at all in the pipeline (90% of NSC'ers, along with Danny Rose, are emphatic that players and their families shouldn't be endangered in the slightest), why would the broadcasters pay the PL a bean? They'd be getting absolutely nothing in consideration for their money. Augmented to zero club ticket income for 2020/21 due to credits, the Albion's projected accounts for 2020/21 would look like:
Income £zero
Costs £135m
Loss £135m

For this reason alone, I believe PB when he stated in very recent interviews that "all PL clubs are agreed that they want football to resume as soon as allowed, it's a business like any other, yes it is unashamedly about money".

Could TB come up with another £135m from under the carpet, could Burnley, Norwich, Palace, Watford do the same? We'd see half or more of the clubs in the UK go into liquidation.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Hi,

With people having to walk past each in a row of 28 seats, even if clubs allowed only 25% capacity per stand, clearly social distancing cannot be attained. Faces will be literally a foot or two apart max when people pass. For that reason, I think stadium spectator sports, along with the cinema, will be the last to open for punters. 2021, 2022, who knows?

A personal view, different to yours, I think the urge by the TB's/PB's of this world for matches to take place, would be very strong whenever covid19 had struck. If lockdown had occurred exactly two months later, assuming that we stayed up, for 2020/21 the Albion would I think have been looking to receive the following PL distributions of income:
July 2020 £50m
Dec 2020 £50m
May 2021 £15m

With no football at all in the pipeline (90% of NSC'ers, along with Danny Rose, are emphatic that players and their families shouldn't be endangered in the slightest), why would the broadcasters pay the PL a bean? They'd be getting absolutely nothing in consideration for their money. Augmented to zero club ticket income for 2020/21 due to credits, the Albion's projected accounts for 2020/21 would look like:
Income £zero
Costs £135m
Loss £135m

For this reason alone, I believe PB when he stated in very recent interviews that "all PL clubs are agreed that they want football to resume as soon as allowed, it's a business like any other, yes it is unashamedly about money".

Could TB come up with another £135m from under the carpet, could Burnley, Norwich, Palace, Watford do the same? We'd see half or more of the clubs in the UK go into liquidation.

Agree with and understand all that - let's just hope the financial model for professional football changes, and sharpish - people's health shouldn't be put above the cost of paying the piper - Sky!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree with and understand all that - let's just hope the financial model for professional football changes, and sharpish - people's health shouldn't be put above the cost of paying the piper - Sky!

Players wages are the elephant in the room.

I was never one over the years to resent their pay, but now even players and ex-players in 5live interviews, are talking about a transformed landscape when the next contracts are agreed. [Other than for ManU, ManC, Chelsea and if the takeover goes through Newcastle. In an arms race with Barca, Real and Juve, they'll still pay almost any sum to a sought after player].

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Here are a few. Transport workers, airport workers, doctors, police, nurses, fire service, dentists, shop workers.

All of those offer essential services. Kicking a bloody football around a pitch is NOT an essential service.

Footballers are at no greater risk, in fact far less than those already listed many of whom are far more vulnerable to the virus.

You and everyone else seems to be forgetting that football isn't just the players, the staff are put at risk as well and not all of the staff are 18-35 year old athletes.. Players and staff have families, they are putting them at risk as well.

But if it wont come back then surely those employed within the game should do what the rest of us have had to endure, including furloughs.

Just because I "have to endure" it doesn't mean I want others to..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here