Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray..

SE25

Banned
Feb 19, 2005
Oh South London...
He was a class act last night,bags of energy great awareness and has a great eye for goal. Was very unlucky not to have scored.

He looks at home and class in a Palace shirt. :p

He will score at the Amex don't worry.

cheers to Brighton for allowing the beam back at Selhurst on the 27th although I will be at the game. :thumbsup:

May I add a great first touch, as well! This fella is Mint!!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Indeed, the Brighton fans who were going on about him not being good enough etc were always on a hiding to nothing, cos he is a good player and a good signing for Palace.

Our strikeforce now is stronger than last year's but that doesn't mean that keeping Murray he wouldn't have been a useful part of that group.

very true. we all hoped he would be shite, but apparently he's playing like the Glenn we knew from last season. It still begs the question why did Gus let him go so easily (if he did let him go easily?) It would be very interesting to know what went on.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
very true. we all hoped he would be shite, but apparently he's playing like the Glenn we knew from last season. It still begs the question why did Gus let him go so easily (if he did let him go easily?) It would be very interesting to know what went on.

Yep. Was it purely a personality clash between him and Gus? Surely wages or length of contract wouldn't have been a deal breaker for us.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
You were at home, big difference. P'boro won 7-1 in there next home match aswell. You have played Donny at home also, releagtion fodder. Leeds and Hull away are tough games as is Cardiff. Pompey and Bristol City away are games i would expect us to get something from.

Remind me how many away games you have won over all of last season and this....

SE25

Banned
Feb 19, 2005
Oh South London...
Is it right that he was on around 170k - £3,269 per week and now I think he's on 220k - £4,230 per week? Not a very big increase in wages if true.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
If true, which is probably isn't! The signing on fee and the length of contract, as well as the basic remuneration, were said to be the issues.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
There's a few plausible reasons, one being Gus never seemed to quite rate Murray (which I thought was a shame and a bit of an error), secondly the idea that Murray was not really 'one of the lads' which seems to be true.

I'm not sure Gus let him go easily, I think he would have kept him but also wasn't overly fussed if he didn't. I don't think he saw him as a key player (probably rightly in view of CMS and Hoskins) but Palace did and accordingly offered him a longer contract for more money.

Is it right that he was on around 170k - £3,269 per week and now I think he's on 220k - £4,230 per week? Not a very big increase in wages if true.
I have no idea if those figures are right, but £50k a year extra over three years seems a decent wedge to me (especially if what some other people have said about him is true)! We supposedly only offered him 2 years also.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Remind me how many away games you have won over all of last season and this....

I am basing it on our performances this season, we've really upped our game and changed our style since last year. The new signings have clicked. Yes, we lost to Leeds at the weekend mainly due to 2 moments of madness but we bossed the game, not an easy thing to do at Elland Road.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

I think El Pres put some figures up a while ago that equated to Murray earning close an extra million out of his contract with Palace over Brighton's offer. Mainly due to the 3rd year rather than just 2. Something like we offered 6k a week, Palace 9k

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Reasonable player - but we haven't missed him ( unless he could have turned the draw v Blackpool into a win ).

It is nailed on that he will win a trademark penalty drive though at the AMEX, and Palace will go in 1-0 at half time ( a few injured Palace in the home stands at this point ).

However, all be well, Vicente will tear them apart in the second half and a relatively easy 4-1 win to the stripes in the end..

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm pretty sure that's not true, as he was offered a wage increase here, but he was offered more at Palace. He's on more than that now.

It's funny how both sets of fans seem to change their opinion with the wind. Palace fans were saying our players couldn't make the step up from league 1 - then were saying Murray wasn't good enough to get on their bench - now he's the best thing since sliced bread. Meanwhile Brighton fans are suggesting he's not good enough to get in our team, which I doubt. That may become true if Barnes keeps improving, or if Hoskins is fully fit, but as things stand, he's good enough to play for us.

But good teams aren't about one player, and Murray's attitude wasn't what Gus was after, so we let him go. We'll see who wins the head to heads, and who finishes about whom at the end of the season, little else matters.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Murray has always had a class first touch and excellent lay-off play. His basic finishing is relatively poor though, tends to miss 4 easy chances before putting away the most difficult one.
Would I love to have Murray still here? Yes, he and CMS would be a quality partnership. However CMS is a much better player than Murray and we don't need Glenda with Barnes playing the way he is, haven't seen Hoskins yet so will hold judgement and in theory Vicente will piss all over your sorry team.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think El Pres put some figures up a while ago that equated to Murray earning close an extra million out of his contract with Palace over Brighton's offer. Mainly due to the 3rd year rather than just 2. Something like we offered 6k a week, Palace 9k
I don't think anyone on this board has a clue what he was earning and what Palace offered - and that includes El Presidente.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am basing it on our performances this season, we've really upped our game and changed our style since last year. The new signings have clicked. Yes, we lost to Leeds at the weekend mainly due to 2 moments of madness but we bossed the game, not an easy thing to do at Elland Road.

LOL. Performances don't really win games though do they. Pompey thought their performance deserved a point. .... They got f*** all. Cardiff Didn't .... which is good because they got f*** all. Bristol City thought they deserved a point .... and guess what ... they got f*** all. So you keep up with the performances because the chances are you will go to those grounds suggested and get ... guess what . Yep you guessed correctly.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
LOL. Performances don't really win games though do they. Pompey thought their performance deserved a point. .... They got f*** all. Cardiff Didn't .... which is good because they got f*** all. Bristol City thought they deserved a point .... and guess what ... they got f*** all. So you keep up with the performances because the chances are you will go to those grounds suggested and get ... guess what . Yep you guessed correctly.

Performances do matter, luck only lasts for so long. The way you lot talk is as if you turn up every game and win 5-0 when in fact you've scraped a few wins this season, if Sharp hadn't of been assualted by Dunk you would have lost that game and the momentum would have been gone. Give it time and as i say you will be found out, your riding high on the crest of a wave and it's all gone to your heads, there is so much arrogance on here it's unreal! WE ARE 6 GAMES IN FFS!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
indeed not a bad player but why oh why do we have 9 pages about him he is gone we have probably better players no scrap that we do have better players than him now he is history

onwards and upwards

thinking about it we cannot go any further upwards can we

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Performances do matter, luck only lasts for so long. The way you lot talk is as if you turn up every game and win 5-0 when in fact you've scraped a few wins this season, if Sharp hadn't of been assualted by Dunk you would have lost that game and the momentum would have been gone. Give it time and as i say you will be found out, your riding high on the crest of a wave and it's all gone to your heads, there is so much arrogance on here it's unreal! WE ARE 6 GAMES IN FFS!
Exactly, we are 6 games in,.... BUT WE ARE TOP AND YOU AINT... MUPPET... whatever happens later on in the season,... for now we are doing the business,..... you are average at best,..... keep improving yourselves and you may be on a par with us st some point in the season,... but not at the moment,.... we are a point a game better...... I will take that for now dude.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here