Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray to sign today...

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
But unfortunately not quite good enough to prevent Middlesbrough making up a five point deficit, with us having a game in hand too. Mind you, you could also say Middlesbrough's second half of the season must have been awesome!

When were we 5 points ahead of Middlesbrough with a game in hand in the second half of the season?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Quite the opposite. That table shows the results of matches played after the window closed. We made up a 5 point gap on THEM, despite playing one less game.

Oh, I see now - I took it to be the table at the time. OK, so it was Burnley not 'Boro's whose finish was awesome (as was our's, but sadly not awesome enough)!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'll be honest, I think we may have got a Glenn Murray move wrong again.

Not that I don't think he has something to offer us this season - I'm sure he does, but it could be 6 months too late. I reckon if we'd got him in January, and there have been enough whispers to suggest a deal could have been struck, then I think we'd probably be a Premier League side today.

Our second half of the season was spectacular, but I do think we were still just short of firepower, firstly when we pummelled Burnley but couldn't make our supremacy tell but most notably when we destroyed Sheffield Wednesday in the play-offs second leg but didn't have a goalscorer on the pitch. Losing Tomer Hemed for that match was a big blow. Either him or Murray would have had us three or four up within half an hour.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
How the feck will you have the last laugh if he signs for you? It's not like we are both in for him and he's chosen you over us.

With all due respect to Glenn, we have moved on to far better quality and are close to signing Christian Benteke.

You're clearly upset by the news. I'd be absolutely gutted if I was in your shoes too - but please respect this is not a franchise 2010 thread. You will face a ban if you don't stick to the Franchise threads :thumbsup:

We'll let this one slide as your lot are clearly very upset by the news.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'll be honest, I think we may have got a Glenn Murray move wrong again.

Not that I don't think he has something to offer us this season - I'm sure he does, but it could be 6 months too late. I reckon if we'd got him in January, and there have been enough whispers to suggest a deal could have been struck, then I think we'd probably be a Premier League side today.

Our second half of the season was spectacular, but I do think we were still just short of firepower, firstly when we pummelled Burnley but couldn't make our supremacy tell but most notably when we destroyed Sheffield Wednesday in the play-offs second leg but didn't have a goalscorer on the pitch. Losing Tomer Hemed for that match was a big blow. Either him or Murray would have had us three or four up within half an hour.

Agreed. I worry about this signing, just feels like it is far too late. Hope I am wrong but Glenn's motivation does worry me, he is hardly a Zamora

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It depends what he wants. He has made a lot of money since then and still lives in Brighton. He has a choice of staying at Bournemouth and not getting games or going elsewhere and we're his best option. I imagine he'll be paid a decent wage but it won't break the bank.

Great player for us in 2010, but it's 2016 now, he was mercenary back then what makes you think he'd take a cut to play for us now?

I think a big part of the decision, pay cut or not, was he fancied walking to work rather than commuting 3 or 4 hours a day...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
[Tweet]749353165015908352[/Tweet]

Have a word [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] he was still denying our interest weeks / months after the news of it was broke on here if I recall...?!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think a big part of the decision, pay cut or not, was he fancied walking to work rather than commuting 3 or 4 hours a day...

Yes. This must be a very pleasing move for him. I hope it rubs of in his general attitude.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I apologise now if this is wrong but been on the p...s with son at his birthday bbq and he showed me a tweet which was apparently BHA ??? and said GM is signing on a 1 year loan on Monday which I can understand . 1 year at £30k per week plus loan fee would be about £2m a lot less than buying him I can understand the logic of that and agree with it,

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If he finds anything like fitness and form it's a win:win.
Best player at hanging in the air to win headers I've seen for us. Now we need a genuine goal poacher to play off him.
Don't forget he's also capable of winning almost as many free kicks falling over as Wilfred Haha :lolol:

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Agreed. I worry about this signing, just feels like it is far too late.

Five f***ing years too late! Maybe just maybe if this happens it'll be the turning of the tide and instead of being the nearly man as we have so often been since he left, he'll finally help push us over the line?
When I remember how majestic he was for us in that league one championship winning season, both scoring and defending, then leaving to sign for who he did!!! Coming back like a recurring nightmare and seeming to score against us every time, celebrating or not, it f***ing hurt, especially when "they" constantly rubbed our noses in it and we all knew they were right. Ok we had that wonderful St. Patrick's day but they had the last laugh and have been laughing ever since, so if you do come back Glen, you owe us, well that's how I feel.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Have a word [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] he was still denying our interest weeks / months after the news of it was broke on here if I recall...?!

Eh? The Argus has consistently reported our interest in re-signing Murray over the last 6 months:-

January 29: - Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe is playing hard ball in Brighton and Hove Albion's bid to re-sign Glenn Murray

March 23: - Brighton and Hove Albion boss content with options as deadline looms

May 30: - Brighton and Hove Albion will have to pay if they want to get Glenn Murray back

Spinal Wheels

Apr 9, 2012
Newick
The Championship table after the January transfer window suggests we weren't too bad once we had our squad assembled.

View attachment 76294

When I see our finish to last season yet again I'm still finding really hard to believe that we actually missed out on going up. What I wouldn't give for table above to look the same for our last 18 games next season, but sadly that may be wishful thinking off course.

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
But unfortunately not quite good enough to prevent Middlesbrough making up a five point deficit, with us having a game in hand too. Mind you, you could also say Middlesbrough's second half of the season must have been awesome!

Middlesbrough caught up because they went on a club record 6 or 7 matching winning streak towards the end of their season and that combined with a spat of red cards and some bad referring screwed us over big time!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here