Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gillingham kicked off their training ground!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tue 25th March 1997 - Gillingham say Brighton must pay them £300,000 rent, even if they abandon plans to ground-share at Priestfield Stadium. Gillingham's chairman, Paul Scally, is adamant his club want the money due under signed contracts.

What do you think?

I think anyone who is a close mate of Bellotti's is likely to be fly.

The change in the fortunes of the two clubs since we paid for the Gordon Road stand is amazing.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Where else then?......the police said no to millwall, gillingham was a last resort.

Have you read the rest of the posts on this thread?

Crawley for a start. I don't recall it myself but someone else has mentioned Woking. Both better options than Gillingham.

Also Gillingham was far from the last resort.

You're making it sound like Gillingham did us a favour. No one other than Scally (and maybe the pub landlords) wanted us there, we didn't want to be there. Scally showed his true colours when Crawley council back tracked on their original decision. But then I guess he'd probably already spent the our money on his missus' trumpet habit.

I expect if you ask any BHA fan about their views on Gillingham it'll be the same as mine.....I have no view on them, they are a non entity. They may get a bit of grief because we had to spend two years in their shithole of a town watching arguably the worst football in this clubs history and because of the cricket rivalry. Scally on the other hand is a bellend and as he is still chairman they are guilty by association I'm afraid so it's unlikely we are going to feel any sympathy for them when things go sour.

Last edited:

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Have you read the rest of the posts on this thread?

Crawley for a start. I don't recall it myself but someone else has mentioned Woking. Both better options than Gillingham.

Also Gillingham was far from the last resort.

You're making it sound like Gillingham did us a favour. No one other than Scally (and maybe the pub landlords) wanted us there, we didn't want to be there. Scally showed his true colours when Crawley council back tracked on their original decision. But then I guess he'd probably already spent the our money on his missus' trumpet habit.

I expect if you ask any BHA fan about their views on Gillingham it'll be the same as mine.....I have no view on them, they are a non entity. They may get a bit of grief because we had to spend two years in their shithole of a town watching arguably the worst football in this clubs history and because of the cricket rivalry. Scally on the other hand is a bellend and as he is still chairman they are guilty by association I'm afraid so it's unlikely we are going to feel any sympathy for them when things go sour.

Well that cleared that up x

I had heard gillingham was a last resort at the time, otherwise why go as far as gillingham?
That was my question, sorry if I caused offence.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Well that cleared that up x

I had heard gillingham was a last resort at the time, otherwise why go as far as gillingham?
That was my question, sorry if I caused offence.

No offence caused in the slightest.

The Gillingham deal was signed under the previous (to Dick Knight and co) regime who didn't give a flying f*** about the club. Bellotti was bumchums with Scally so I'm sure despite what he said at the time they didn't look at too many other options.

When Dick Knight finally took over they tried everything to find us somewhere closer to home even to the point where there was talk of us starting at Gillingham but then moving mid season initially to the New Den and then closer to the start of the season Crawley. Scally dug his heels in and wouldn't let us get out of the deal before we'd even seen a knackerd item of white goods in someone's front garden so it became a non runner. The then focus turned on getting back to Brighton which they hoped to do mid season of the second year. As it worked out that didn't happen and we stayed put until the end of the second season.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

The Gillingham deal was signed under the previous (to Dick Knight and co) regime who didn't give a flying f*** about the club. Bellotti was bumchums with Scally so I'm sure despite what he said at the time they didn't look at too many other options.

And who turned up working for Scally ?

It all stank GullyCats. And Gillingham are a non-entity to Albion fans - who many of us think colluded with the crooks who took over our club, and in turn took advantage of our club when we were at our lowest ebb, and needed friends.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I think the plan with a Crawley groundshare would have been a withdean style south stand at the Broadfield. This would have taken capacity above 7000. I noticed the other week that Crawley finally got round to doing it ready for league 1 football.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC

When Dick Knight finally took over they tried everything to find us somewhere closer to home even to the point where there was talk of us starting at Gillingham but then moving mid season initially to the New Den and then closer to the start of the season Crawley. Scally dug his heels in and wouldn't let us get out of the deal before we'd even seen a knackerd item of white goods in someone's front garden so it became a non runner. The then focus turned on getting back to Brighton which they hoped to do mid season of the second year. As it worked out that didn't happen and we stayed put until the end of the second season.

Thanks Arthur

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC

It all stank GullyCats. And Gillingham are a non-entity to Albion fans - who many of us think colluded with the crooks who took over our club, and in turn took advantage of our club when we were at our lowest ebb, and needed friends.

It's sank in dick knights mumm, save me embarrassing myself in public....

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC

Do you still need friends?:love::love::love::love::love:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Did gillingham help keep Brighton alive?

We helped Gillingham redevelop their ground with our rent payments and in effect doubled the value of Priestfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here