Giffgaff

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
OK. Can someone help me here, as I haven't got a clue what I'm doing.

I currently pay £45+ per month on O2 for my Iphone 3G for unlimited interenet and a lot of minutes and texts. 250 minutes would be plenty for me. My O2 contract has long since expired. So basically, it sounds like I can get everything I need for around £40 less than I'm currently paying.

My question is, exactly what do I have to do?

Also, surely O2 must lose loads of money due to this, so why do they let them use their network?!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Also, is there any good reason to continue with a contract rather than switching to this. I just don't understand how it can be so cheap!

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Also, is there any good reason to continue with a contract rather than switching to this. I just don't understand how it can be so cheap!

It is a very good deal, but I'd start by suggesting that maybe the £45 for your contract originally was to pay for the 'free' phone in the first place. I've always thought 02, vodafone etc rip you off, as you can often get the same deal much cheaper at places like 3 (albeit for terrible customer service). The main thing with this, I'd imagine, is that a phone isn't included. You can get fairly good sim-only deals with other companies anyway, though admittedly not quite as good as this from what I've seen.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It is a very good deal, but I'd start by suggesting that maybe the £45 for your contract originally was to pay for the 'free' phone in the first place. I've always thought 02, vodafone etc rip you off, as you can often get the same deal much cheaper at places like 3 (albeit for terrible customer service). The main thing with this, I'd imagine, is that a phone isn't included. You can get fairly good sim-only deals with other companies anyway, though admittedly not quite as good as this from what I've seen.

Do you think O2 might reduce the £45 if I ring them up and hassle them, bearing in mind that I've been on it for about 3 years?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Do you think O2 might reduce the £45 if I ring them up and hassle them, bearing in mind that I've been on it for about 3 years?

If your contract is finished then you can probably upgrade to a much cheaper tariff anyway, if you want to stay with them then it won't be much hassle as they'll want to keep you. But I'd advise looking around as well to see what else you could get.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles

I currently pay £45+ per month on O2 for my Iphone 3G for unlimited interenet and a lot of minutes and texts. 250 minutes would be plenty for me. My O2 contract has long since expired. So basically, it sounds like I can get everything I need for around £40 less than I'm currently paying.

Also, surely O2 must lose loads of money due to this, so why do they let them use their network?!

Click on my link (if you don't mind) and they will send you sim card out, might even arrive tomorrow (mine was next day) It will give you a free 5 quid credit. Giffgaff sims work in 02 phones, no need to unlock, and you are away! Tell 02 you want your PUK code, they will give it to you and then you can keep your old number on the giffgaff sim, all done on the forum (takes a few days that bit)

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles

It's cheap because they have no call centers. It's all done online in a forum much like this! You get rapid answers and advice because people who answer get a few pence which quickly adds up to pounds!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I've just switched to O2 monthly simplicity which will half my bills (should've done this ages ago), but will consider giffgaff in the meanwhile.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

Firstly, the founder did have a head job at O2, secondly the network probably pay O2 for usage. At least thats what I think...

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Ahh you fell into their trap... You might have halved your bills, do you mind if I ask how much you pay now and for what? Just for comparison purposes! Thanks

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ahh you fell into their trap... You might have halved your bills, do you mind if I ask how much you pay now and for what? Just for comparison purposes! Thanks

No, no trap, as it's month-by-month rolling.

It's £21.50 for 600 minutes (I apparently use on average 150/m), unlimited texts and 500MB data (I use 300MB)... and they give me £50 high street vouchers.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
So apart from the high street vouchers, you are paying over double the GiffGaff deal with limited data but for more minutes (which you said yourself you won't use) is this a better deal?
Not a criticism just an observation :) thanks for helping me with my question

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
So apart from the high street vouchers, you are paying over double the GiffGaff deal with limited data but for more minutes (which you said yourself you won't use) is this a better deal?
Not a criticism just an observation :) thanks for helping me with my question

No, it's not a better deal, but it was easier for me to sort out :p

I imagine I will switch to giffgaff in the coming months.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
My GiffGaff sims arrived today, now I have to decide whether to use them or my Lebara sims (runs on Vodafone), I have got Lyca sims but you can't top them up online.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I have an iphone 3 at the moment on pay as you go and this sounds like a very good deal but can anyone explain to me what the teathering thing means?

Teathering is where you use your phone as a hotspot for your computer. SO your phone gets the internet, and it sends out the signal to the phone like a router.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Teathering is where you use your phone as a hotspot for your computer. SO your phone gets the internet, and it sends out the signal to the phone like a router.

Still means nothing to me but it's ok my boyfriend tells me I don't need it.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Still means nothing to me but it's ok my boyfriend tells me I don't need it.

Tethering is when you use your mobile phone to connect your PC/laptop to the internet using it's 3g signal, it is effectively your modem! Giff Gaff offer a truly uncapped data plan with their goody bags, you can download as much music or browse as many sites as you like on your phone , they do not however allow you to use it to link it to your PC in the above mentioned way to surf the net or watch films and stuff. They can tell if a user is doing this due to a 'spike' in the data being used (a one off here or there you'd PROBABLY get away with) Hope this helps

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Does the goody bag credit expire if not all used up in a month? There basic call charges are no different from Tesco's or Asda. I've noticed it's free for 0800 numbers though. I'm not a prolific user or use the net.

I'm currently with Tesco's which uses O2 and haven't had any problems in two years.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Does the goody bag credit expire if not all used up in a month? There basic call charges are no different from Tesco's or Asda. I've noticed it's free for 0800 numbers though. I'm not a prolific user or use the net.

I'm currently with Tesco's which uses O2 and haven't had any problems in two years.

Yup the goody bag expires after 1 month but giffgaff to giffgaff calls remain free, even with no credit! I'm a massive user of the net, a pay as you go iphone rips into credit/data allowance like you wouldn't believe so it's ideal for me. I was paying 10 quid a month with orange for 300 texts and internet was capped to 100mb per month (which was gone in literally seconds on the iphone)
Now I have unlimited texts and internet and 250mins free to anynetwork (plus the free giffgaff calls) it was a no brainer for me

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
as kneeOn said, you can set it up to automatically start the new goody bag when your current one runs out. You can even use 02 top up vouchers to top up with or just top up online like i do. You don't HAVE to buy a goody bag with your 10 quid but it's by far the best value deal I've ever seen! They have apps for both Iphone and Android phones which make it really easy to keep up to speed with what you have left for the month etc
I like the idea of free calls to the same network.This has clinched it for me. I've gone through your link but it doesn't give me an option to order two sim cards in one go. One for my missus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports