Gerrard

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Cost Liverpool the league and now England the world cup

I don't think he's "cost England the World Cup". Did you think we were going to win it then? :lolol:

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
he should step down as captain of england and liverpool, retire, start his badges and become assistant to hyypia for a few seasons :jester:

kjgood

Forget blaming individual players, as a group they are just not good enough, its the system that is wrong. Too many non british players in the premiership, not enough chances for young players, no real pathway for talented youngsters apart from loans to championship or struggling premier league teams.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
You're very charitable with your "comical" reference; I think "childish overreaction", "seeking a scapegoat" and "gormless response" are all far more apposite.

He can't be a scapegoat because a scapegoat is an individual who is blamed for the misgivings of others...Gerrard was, as anyone with 1/16th of a football brain could see.....dogshit

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Woeful. Reverted to type, floating balls into the box with Gerrard overhitting most things he tried. Yes, he's the scapegoat but that's because I'm bitterly disappointed that we let a crocked, buck toothed, arm munching cheat take the game away from us

75% fit,
Yes, he could do with some dentistry,
Don't think he bit anyone tonight,
Cheat? - several of ours were diving all over the place tonight.
And he took two chances extremely well. If he had been English tonight, we would have won.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... not enough chances for young players, no real pathway for talented youngsters apart from loans to championship or struggling premier league teams.

could you please outline exactly which players on the pitch tonight weren't given opportunities, or playing for struggling teams? i dont think any starter and maybe about 4 players in the squad wont be playing in Europe next season.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Gerrard will surely retire from international football now, and must go down as one of the biggest failures in England's history in terms of failing to replicate his club form for his country. Has he ever had a good tournament?

Jeez, you have found an easy scapegoat. The fact that Jags and Cahill have allowed Ballotelli and Suarez to peel off wide and beat both defenders (who are taller) to score with HEADERS...is Gerrard's fault.......plum.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Gerrard will surely retire from international football now, and must go down as one of the biggest failures in England's history in terms of failing to replicate his club form for his country. Has he ever had a good tournament?

Fair play, despite your thumbs down. Gerrard, Lampard, etc really haven't delivered. We could have said the same for Rooney (bar 2004), but he was good tonight.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Who is so much better than Gerrard that they deserve to be in the side in his place? The likes of Milner and Lampard aren't as good. As it is players like Sterling and Barkley have made it into the England side on the back of just 10-15 decent games in the Prem.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Yes, that's exactly what I said.

Or maybe you can't read.

It's definitely one of those.

Sorry, i thought you posted "

-1 Not allowed! Thumbs Up!

Gerrard will surely retire from international football now, and must go down as one of the biggest failures in England's history in terms of failing to replicate his club form for his country. Has he ever had a good tournament? "

Must be me, but i thought you were slating him.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
usual comical over reaction to losing a game, in which we played well and dominated the majority of the game. caught out by poor defence, but the forwards should have done a bit more with their opportunities. their defence was suspect, we didnt get in behind or catch them on the break. a bit too... Spanish?

Come come now. There is no room for sensible, common sense, correct posts on NSC. We HAVE to find someone to blame.

Last edited:

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
I'm very sad that Gerrard's career has come to a sad end - at his peak he was one of England's best and has played in just about every position bar goalkeeper. And never sulked - just got on and done his best. He should have retired earlier from international football and been remembered for the player he was, but he has always been prepared to "do his bit". He isn't an eloquent speaker, but we should appreciate the player he had been.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports