Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gerrard...

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Gerrard had a quiet first half (By his standards) he played very well in the Second half.

He should be the FIRST name on the team sheet EVERY time!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Thought he had a fairly poor game to be honest.

Several poor shots and overall seemed to be off the pace. Having said that i wouldn't drop him just hope he can improve his performances.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Gerrard/Barry
Gerrard/Hargreaves
Lampard/Barry
Lampard/Hargreaves

I would be happy with any of those combinations. Lampard and Gerrard doesn't work because they are too offensive and and I think Barry and Hargreaves wouldn't be dynamic enough but any of those other combinations would be fine in my eyes. Hargreaves does a good holding job and Barry is probably the most intelligent player we have.

Also up front I wouldn't put Rooney in straight away when he comes back I would actually have him as back up to Owen and have Crouch as back up to Heskey.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
What the f*** are you lot on ?
He rarely wasted a pass, was hugle competative in the middle of the park, charged forward at every opportunity, was always involvered, and overall did bloody well. OK he didn't mark it with a 30 yard piledriver, but he MORE than played his part.

I honestly think I must be watching a different sport sometimes.

Completely agree, fluffed one good chance but controlled the game with Barry in fine manner.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Gerrard was obviously brilliant last night....the Beeb gave him an 8.

Barry should therefore have scored 17/10,because of his overall performance and his Albion connection.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought Gerrard and Barry were both excellent. Barry more eye-catchingly so, but Gerrard was superb in a supporting role. Best midfield performance by England for years.

I agree and also Barry showed that he forms a much more effective combination with Gerrard than Lampard and perhaps what people have been saying for a long time that Lampard and Gerrard cannot play in the same team is right.

Old hat, I know, but I wonder if DK now regrets taking the cash for GB from Villa. Hindsight is a great thing.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
i will get slated i know, but i would still pick Gerrard and Lampard together in the centre of the park.

questier

Apr 16, 2006
Cambridgeshire/Liverpool
1st half we played immense including Gerrard, and yes we got some luck along the way (the goal that was dissalowed.) But what mucked things up for us so early on in the second half was Mcclaren telling Gerrard he should surge forward more, that left a huge gap when he lost it and the Russians outnumbered us on a few occassions. IF Mcclaren had left things as they were at HT imho we would have scored more, and Gerrard wouldnt be getting any stick

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He rarely wasted a pass, was hugle competative in the middle of the park, charged forward at every opportunity, was always involvered, and overall did bloody well. OK he didn't mark it with a 30 yard piledriver, but he MORE than played his part.

I must be going mad then, I thought he gave the weakest performance of all the England team. :ascarf:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
1st half we played immense including Gerrard, and yes we got some luck along the way (the goal that was dissalowed.)

The dissalowed goal came directly from a Russian goal kick that should have definitely been an England corner - luck and bad decisions usually even themselves out over the 90 mins, and this was a good example.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland

agree with above,i lost count of the times he was at hand in our area to clear

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland

agree with above,i lost count of the times he was at hand in our area to clear

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What people are forgetting is that Russia changed their formation after half time and played the 2nd half with 3 - 4 - 3 formation as they knew that they were getting beaten in midfield during trhe first half.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Nope - he was toss.

None of this 'lampard makes him play shit' rubbish to excuse him - Barry is a defensive midfielder, yet did MORE attacking than Gerrard!

Gerrard made about 2 interceptions, fluffed 5 shots and did bugger all else.

Barry - IMMENSE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here