Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

German football fans

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Think we were good against Burnley or Leeds?

ATMOSPHERE: Dortmund-Schalke - YouTube

It's now one of my life ambitions to go to a Dortmund match and see 'Die gelbe Wand'.
They're even allowed to drink beer in the stands, what's not to love?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
That game is a local Derby.

I went down to Munich on my travels many years ago. The train was full of Schalke fans on their way to play 1860. Their fans were something else.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nothing in England compares to the intensity of German and other European football atmospheres..

They're nothing on the Palace Ultras

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
Always get a little shiver down the spine when Germans gather on mass and stick 1 arm in the air whilst chanting:lolol:

But the atmosphere does look bloody brilliant....The problem in England is the matches are 2 expensive, 2 many stewards, not enough people willing to sing the closest you will ever get to that atmosphere is on away days.:(

Last edited:

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
Nothing in England compares to the intensity of German and other European football atmospheres..

Is a megaphone the way forward?? I know that Madrid use on at the Bernabau.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
All pissed up blokes, couldn't spot a woman or child in the masses. English football, rightly or wrongly, is more "family orientated" now, more expensive and obviously less of an atmosphere created as a result. Sometimes i miss it from back in the 80's at the Goldstone, mostly i don't.

Benjyman1990

Registered Boon.
Jul 31, 2011
North Stand & Worthing
I was lucky enough to see Borussia Dortmund at the emirates in the champions league. Their fans are insane. They spent the whole game bouncing up and down and chanting! I wish we could conjure up a bit of that magic..

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
All pissed up blokes, couldn't spot a woman or child in the masses. English football, rightly or wrongly, is more "family orientated" now, more expensive and obviously less of an atmosphere created as a result. Sometimes i miss it from back in the 80's at the Goldstone, mostly i don't.

Foreigners don't need to be drunk to have fun...

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The reason it is like that is that is people are allowed to stand on terraces in huge stands behind the goal. Can't see anything there that wasn't as good for the big games in this country in the 80's.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Puts the north stand to shame/QUOTE]

Of course it does. No seating and stands about five times bigger than the north stand plus playing your local rivals .

I do think in retrospect not making the north about double the size was a mistake but not complaining at all. Our stadium AND atmosphere are one of the best in this country.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I must admit I've always had a soft spot for Dortmund, going to the Westfalenstadion has been on my bucket list for a while. Also, as an ESPN subscriber I have been very tempted recently to ditch watching the Prem and follw the Bundesliga instead.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
I live near Frankfurt and watch them 4 or 5 times a season.. Am completely split on the megaphone at the front thing.. It means that only one or two people decide the songs to be sung and there is less spontaneity.. But it can really help pick up the atmosphere..

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Nonsense. I've been to Dortmund and the atmosphere was amazing, and there were loads of women and kids there. Just as many as you see at the Amex, if not more.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I live near Frankfurt and watch them 4 or 5 times a season.. Am completely split on the megaphone at the front thing.. It means that only one or two people decide the songs to be sung and there is less spontaneity.. But it can really help pick up the atmosphere..

Very true, I went to a game in Sydney, Australia and they had a megaphone, it did keep everyone singing together.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011

Doesn't German football have the largest number of female match goers in Europe? I love German fan culture because they've retained what made English football so popular in the first place. You can go to the game and stand with your mates, you don't have to pay an absolute fortune to get in and you can have a beer without being treated like a criminal.

It is disgusting the treatment fans get in England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here