George Best Question

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Uncle Buck said:
I guess this is one for the older posters. But was he one of the greatest players produced from these islands?
from all accounts he was probably the greatest.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Besty had retired, I think, by the time I was born (1980). Although I have seen a great deal of his play. You could perhaps say that there were people as talented as him, but he was a showman and entertainer which made him stand head and shoulders above the rest.

I remember seeing one incident when he scored from a corner and people were saying it was a fluke. He rubbished those ideas and did the same thing the following week. In my mind he was the best footballer that Great Britain ever produced. Some people may think otherwise.

Last edited:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Pele called him the greatest ever player which is a pretty high accolade to get from someone who was right up there as well.

TONY

Jul 27, 2004
HANTS
I'm shocked how many games he played

450+ for Utd

150+ in the American soccer league

plus Fulham and Bournemouth (?)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Yes. Without a doubt. I am too young to have seen Finney or Matthews - but he was the best of the "modern" era. Players like Charlton, Dalgleish, Gascoigne can not be compared.

Peter Ward excepted of course.

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
He was probably the greatest player I ever saw, and the jokes are doing the rounds already.
Hope the media shut the f*** up soon, Talk Sport are OTT.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A shame he never had the chance to play on the world stage. Much like a lot of others on here, he was a bit before my time so I've only ever seen the grainy old TV coverage of him you see from time to time. But by all accounts the fella really was something special at the time, and I feel slightly the poorer for having missed it.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Just watch some of the higjlights from his playing career and it shows you how good he is.

My favourite George Best story was when he was playing for Man United and in a European game he saw a Spanish player flick the ball onto his right foot and knock it over the defenders head. Best, impressed by this trick, practised this but not with his right foot but his left (wrong foot) and promptly took a player on in that fashion during the next league game.

He biggest regret when asked about football was that he never scored on his hands and knees heading the ball over the line after taking a goalkeeper on and stopping the ball right on the line. I Can’t imagine Wayne Rooney saying the same thing in 15 years time.

Dandyman

In London village.
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I can't think of any British players that even compare to him now. Rooney perhaps?

True. One of the best players to come from the province and a great British sportsman.

Sep 24, 2003
Seven Dials
TONY said:
I'm shocked how many games he played

450+ for Utd

150+ in the American soccer league

plus Fulham and Bournemouth (?)

Best played 5 times for Bournemouth in 1983 - I think they were his last as a professional

Dandyman

In London village.
There was a nice quote about him in today's paper from the late Danny Blanchflower. Another truely great British player.

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:
Giggs was the other British player that was touted as the new George Best.

Gazza would be a good comparison as well, given the off the field problems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports