Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

George Best Question

Duncan Edwards another Man U legend who had his career ended as a really young man of 19? in 1958.
EDITED taken from northern scum site

A great talent observed to be the best thing since flat caps?

Could he have been the greatest red ever? The prodigious talent of Duncan Edwards was cruelly snatched away from the footballing world in 1958 when he was killed in the Munich air crash. However, not before he had established a reputation as one of the greatest players of his generation.

That he is rated above the likes of Charlton, Best and Law by many of the era is all the more amazing for he was just 21 years old when he died. Virtually anyone who saw him play rates him as their all-time number one. Edwards had immense physical strength coupled with superb ball control and touch.

His passing and tackling was perfect and his shooting was awe inspiring, in both power and accuracy. Not only that, in when it came to aerial battles he was fantastic at winning headers both defending and attacking. In short, Duncan Edwards was the complete player. Not only did the big Midlander possess the physical skills but his mental attitude was first class as well. Duncan had a fanatical practice regime which gave he used to maintain mastery of his technique. He had great awareness, was brave, committed and determined, yet always composed and sportsmanlike.
The great Bobby Charlton said "Duncan Edwards was the only player that made me feel inferior". Sir Matt Busby is once to have said that he believed Edwards was "the best player in the world", but he would never tell Edwards in case it unsettled him. He was world class when United had the ball and their best player when the opponents had it. At his favoured wing-half position Duncan lent steel to the defence and given half a chance would rampage into the attack with an unstoppable surging run.

Matt Busby heard of the "man-boy" playing for Wolves in 1949 and brought him to Old Trafford. Edwards began his United career in 1952, playing in the first team at the unheard-of age of 16 and within two years was playing for England. At 18 he was the youngest ever to play for England (until 1998) and managed to win 18 caps in a short space of time. Duncan helped United win two consecutive League titles in 1956 and 1957, a great achievement in an era were teams were evenly balanced and champions rarely regained their crown. Leading United's charge into Europe they stood on the verge of being the first British team to lift the European Cup and surely would, have had it not been for the tragedy at Munich. In his home town of Dudley he is commemorated in the stained-glass window of St Francis's Church and in October 1999 a statue of Edwards, resplendent in his England kit, was unveiled in the town centre.

The question will always remain, what would have happened had Edwards not lost his life at only 21? He probably would have went on to be the most capped England player ever. At times a team in himself, this ultimate all-round player would have no doubt been up there with greats such as Pele, Beckenbauer, Cruyff and Best. The fact that he never did, and the world was so cruelly robbed of such a talent remains the saddest legacy of Munich. Today, in a different world to the 1950s, Giggsy, Beckham and co are the glory boys, but anyone who saw Duncan Edwards play will tell you, he was better than them all, and that is saying something.

Last edited:

E

enigma

London Calling said:
Duncan Edwards another Man U legend who had his career ended as a really young man of 19? in 1958.

Didn't he have an amazing goal ratio and was observed to be the best thing since flat caps?

Did he score a lot of goals? I always thought he was a midfielder:shrug:

Brighton Jock

Aug 28, 2003
Ashtead,Surrey
George Best was an absolute legend,i'm sure there will be plenty of footage of him on t.v which will show how brilliant he was especially on the shit pitches they had in his day.......

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
My Dad took me down to The Dell many years ago to see Best and company play Saints and he was the best player on the park that day, and I think he was greatest player to come from these isles and only just behind Pele in being the best in the world.

Great Player and a sad loss to football.

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
I can remember being at school and we all wanted to play football with our shirts not tucked in to our shorts. Our PE master at the time, one Bob Mainstone if anyone remembers him, told us if we could play like George Best we could dress like George Best!!

A legend then, and a legend now!!!

He was one of the first 'celebrity footballers' and his downfall was the fame that no one then knew how to handle.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
BarrelofFun said:
In my mind he was the best footballer that Great Britain ever produced.

He wasn't produced in Great Britain. He was born in Belfast

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
A great pity he never played fpr a top international side and tested his undoubted talents against Brazil, Argentina, Germany etc. But saw him play in the old Division 1 and he was awesome. Always remember a match at Stamford Bridge. He was unstoppable. What a player.
RIP

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Yes
Best by name and best by nature.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Uncle Buck said:
I guess this is one for the older posters. But was he one of the greatest players produced from these islands?

....Props walking stick against wall,puts teeth in jam jar,re-adjusts incontinence pads,and says....

Best was a star on the world scene.Was he better than Pele,Maradonna?

Probably.

He was absolutely brilliant.And I've seen Peter Ward.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Bluejuice said:
He wasn't produced in Great Britain. He was born in Belfast

That still makes him a British national though, as we are the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Although yes technically you are correct, Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
He WAS the best ever. I'd put him above Pele.

Rooney, Giggs etc. cannot be compared to Bestie in his prime.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Erm, he wasn't British. He was Northern Irish. Northern Irish people aren't British, they're, erm, United Kingdomnian. Northern Ireland isn't in Britain.

As goes "The Province", yes, the other three counties of Ulster only produce decent goalkeepers. However, its nice to see you did include the 1/3rd of Ulster thats never been in Northern Ireland in that roundup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here