Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Genuine question, is Tomer Hemed any better than Chris O'Grady?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Last night COG looked livelier in his 20 mins than Hemed had done so. TH had a relatively quiet game.
He clearly is being paid to score goals and last year he didn't. That said COG is great at holding the ball up and laying off.
but anyway the answer to this question is a fairly obvious ; too early to say.

Becktheman

Jul 7, 2015
As far as I am aware COG has never been a lone striker until he arrive at Brighton. I hope he will eventually start a game with another striker, then we can pass comment.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Despite scoring two penalties, neither was particularly convincing (i.e. could easily have been saved had the keeper gone the right way).

Oh dear what do you want, a good penalty is one that goes in. If you looked at the technique of Hemed you would have seen that there is a little delay just ahead of striking the ball to see where the keeper is going, so that he is able to score by putting the ball the otherside from where the keeper is going.

Certainly a far better technique than Chris Woods showed for Leeds in their penalty shoot out at Doncaster last week.

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
To be fair to COG he was excellent last night in his 10 minute cameo, he turned the game back in our favour when hudders were on top. LOng term im sure tomer is the better but COG has a lot to offer as a option.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
To be fair to COG he was excellent last night in his 10 minute cameo, he turned the game back in our favour when hudders were on top. LOng term im sure tomer is the better but COG has a lot to offer as a option.
Do you think this may have been a tactical masterclass from Chris Hughton and COG maybe, just maybe part of his long term plans.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I'm probably gonna get a barrage of abuse for saying this but I'd quite like to see COG and Hemed start together.

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
Do you think this may have been a tactical masterclass from Chris Hughton and COG maybe, just maybe part of his long term plans.

I would like to think so. When we need to change formation like last night from 442 to 451 we need that ability to hold and give, sam isnt that player and from what we have seen of hemed so far im not sure he is. Obviously we have yet to see what bobby can offer but for now we should not underestimate what COG brings as already mentioned he has that ability to make himself a massive pain in the arse to opposition centre halfs and open play up for others. He will never be a prolific goalscorer but worth his weight in gold for the team.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder who'll play the most minutes, this season, CoG or Bobby?

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
Possibly due to his link up with Hemed.

Fair point but did he ever play in a two with COG? To be honest i think sam and tomer will be a threat and will score goals but when the chips are down and we are getting battered especially away from home or at home hanging on for a win then COG will do a job for us. If he is happy playing that part its win win for us.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Bit unfair on CoG seeing as the crosses into the box and incisive balls played through to him were practically non-existant all season last year. Lets see how he fairs with a team that's now more willing to get forward than sit back as they did last year.... As for Hemed give it a couple of months before a true opinion can be made

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Oh dear what do you want, a good penalty is one that goes in. If you looked at the technique of Hemed you would have seen that there is a little delay just ahead of striking the ball to see where the keeper is going, so that he is able to score by putting the ball the otherside from where the keeper is going.

Certainly a far better technique than Chris Woods showed for Leeds in their penalty shoot out at Doncaster last week.

You can't knock a 100% scoring record, agreed. All I said was I didn't think they were particularly convincing. More than happy for him to continue to pop them in...

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I think you need to look at those penalties again as they are both perfect in that he waits a millisecond to see which way the keeper dives and then adjusts his body position to slot the ball the other side.

Fair play, you're right and he did. Personally I'm not a massive fan of that technique as doesn't fill me with much confidence but so long as he continues to score them that's all that matters!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think you need to look at those penalties again as they are both perfect in that he waits a millisecond to see which way the keeper dives and then adjusts his body position to slot the ball the other side.
Presumably other keepers will study those, and the next time we get a penalty, they'll fake move to the side, and wait for him to hit it. So he shouldn't wait for them to dive next time, he should just bury it, leaving them standing still in the middle. I guess I should tweet him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here