Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Genres of music that just don’t do it for you

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Modern RnB rap and reggae, never been much of a fan of country or western, but there are a few exceptions.

I quite like Kate TEmpest and Sleaford Mods, but its not 'easy' listening, I'd never sit down and listen to an album on a hi-fi

Not sure if its a genre per se, but that spineless commercial sludge that sits in no mans land ( u2, coldplay, mumfords, keane etc)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Jazz
Latin music piped into either Spanish or Mexican restaurants, I love the food, but I just want to eat the stuff and get the feck outta there, with that shite blurring out...

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I'm currently working my way through the 1,001 Albums to Hear Before You Die book. It covers 1955-present day.

I'm only at 1958 so far, and there is a LOT of Jazz in the early years. Some of the more freeform/bebop stuff I really struggle with. Lack of dynamics, or any real sense of where you are in a song, I just feel completely lost. Meanders too much for me.

Generally though, I think you can find something of worth in pretty much any genre, bar some extreme examples.

Seems like a good book, night have a go at that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I wouldn't categorically rule out any whole genre, but realistically my music collection / spotify playlists include no metal of any kind, nothing more 'country' than Mary Lou Lord, and as far into rap or hiphop you'll get would be Beastie Boys or the Streets.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I like most genres but haven't found much country that I like and virtually no metal. I can see why people like both but they just don't do it for me.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Gangsta Rap :whistle: :D

E6FB9261-2E2A-484C-8301-3808187C3C46.gif

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I wouldn't categorically rule out any whole genre, but realistically my music collection / spotify playlists include no metal of any kind, nothing more 'country' than Mary Lou Lord, and as far into rap or hiphop you'll get would be Beastie Boys or the Streets.

At what point does heavy rock turn into metal?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
At what point does heavy rock turn into metal?

That is a consideration that I pondered as I wrote that post.

For example, goth rock would feature fairly heavily in my stuff - Sisters of Mercy, Mission, Fields of the Nephilim, and indie rock with feedback as extreme as any band considered metal, in Jesus and Mary Chain.

But no, I think there's still a clear distinction. Maybe.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Having had a flick through it, I would say I'm most looking forward to the late 70s, where there is a whole load of stuff I've always been meaning to get round to/stuff I already know I love.

Here's a link to my list rating/reviewing each album - https://rateyourmusic.com/list/jazzmann/1001-albums/

Really interestingly to read someone else’s reasoned reviews of stuff. Years ago from studying languages and literature it’s not about whether you like it or not, it’s thinking about and articulating it.

But each to his or her own. I love Thelonius Monk!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That is a consideration that I pondered as I wrote that post.

For example, goth rock would feature fairly heavily in my stuff - Sisters of Mercy, Mission, Fields of the Nephilim, and indie rock with feedback as extreme as any band considered metal, in Jesus and Mary Chain.

But no, I think there's still a clear distinction. Maybe.

It's interesting, isn't it?

For example - Queens of the Stone Age, and Iron Maiden. QOTSA are capable of being much "heavier" than Maiden, yet Iron Maiden are definitely metal and (in my opinion) QOTSA definitely aren't.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Really interestingly to read someone else’s reasoned reviews of stuff. Years ago from studying languages and literature it’s not about whether you like it or not, it’s thinking about and articulating it.

But each to his or her own. I love Thelonius Monk!

I feel bad for my rating of Monk. They're clearly excellent, excellent musicians. It just doesn't impact me or move me very much at all.

Also, I do plan on using the whole spectrum of 1-10, so 6 isn't necessarily as horrendous as rating as it might first appear.

FYI, next 5 albums I'm focused on this week from the book;

Sabu - Palo Congo
Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool
Machito - Kenya
Little Richard - Here's Little Richard
Tito Puente - Dance Mania, Vol. 1

Enjoying this set of 5 quite a bit more so far.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
With you for the most part on both counts. I could never get excited about things like the BeeGees and Saturday Night Fever. And I know Nile Rodgers is supposed to be a legend and is uber cool, but I saw some tribute to him recently where, when I realised some of the stuff he had done in the past (i.e. Chic), I wondered what all the fuss was about.

I am with you re Nile Rodgers. He is treated like some musical genius who sits in his own particular genre, where in truth, he and his mates just cobbled together a mixture of jazz and funk, copied a fair bit of Roxy Music and struck lucky. ' Chic ' was an ' in ' word at the time and people still drool as soon as they hear the name.
Not for me, I'm afraid.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
11 is about right . . . . I lose interest when it becomes indecipherable

I love Chic . . . But Nile Rogers has been blown out of all proportion in recent years . . . . Perhaps because Bernard Edwards isn't here to keep his ego in check

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I feel bad for my rating of Monk. They're clearly excellent, excellent musicians. It just doesn't impact me or move me very much at all.

Also, I do plan on using the whole spectrum of 1-10, so 6 isn't necessarily as horrendous as rating as it might first appear.

FYI, next 5 albums I'm focused on this week from the book;

Sabu - Palo Congo
Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool
Machito - Kenya
Little Richard - Here's Little Richard
Tito Puente - Dance Mania, Vol. 1

Enjoying this set of 5 quite a bit more so far.

Kind of Blue is brilliant. A jazz album to convince people who don't like jazz how good it can be

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here