Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Genres of music that just don’t do it for you

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Modern r&b for me as well. It reminds me of a quote about the Lighthouse Family, "soul music for people with no soul." Nowt wrong with a bit of Zep or Sabbath but death metal just leaves me cold. Oh, and modern jazz, I just don't get modern jazz.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I've always thought it is pretty pointless arguing against other peoples taste in music, my own personal choice is as varied as the day is long. And I agree with HWT's comment,
"Thing about genres is they are a blunt tool for classification and best ignored."
It's a bit like arguing about your favourite colour.

:shrug:

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
RAP of all kinds and Modern R&B, which is really mindless rubbish...

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Hip hop and drum and bass. Absolute shite.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Very hard to pick on anyone genre. My mind was closed between age 12 and 21, but after that, if I liked it, I was 'avin' it.

OK, using the 'voting with their feet' principle, my record collection is deficient in country music. The closest I get is one album by Manassass, a CSNY, a few Neil Young, Elvis Costello's Almost Blue, and Tammy Wynette (produced by the KLF). I don't hate it - I'm just left cold by it.

Edit - yes, folk (just read a post above), So not in my collection I'd forgotten it existed. And yet, Martin Carthy (Prince Heathen is brutal), Richard and Linda Thompson....mmm...just as long as they don't sing with one fffffinger in their ear.

However, pop-punk....Green Day, Blink-182, Sum 41, Weezer, plus lots of names I've never heard before, the modern New Musical Express of the noughties, live at the Brixton Academy, I found very easy to put on ignore.

Great programme about Dusty on the box yesterday.

I'm no massive country fan but, as with everything, I'll never write it off. From two ends of the spectrum ("Country AND Western"), both of these are SUPERB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi5A9OCAyIk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R03Xakd91Xw

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I’m more of a hash fan, or I was many years ago. Never popped the drugs of choice of the eighties and nineties, maybe that’s why It leaves me cold :shrug:

No actually it doesn’t leave me cold it fecking annoys me, just noisy repetitive shit :lolol:

TBF, I've eaten enough gurn to fill a Transit and been to raves of every description. I LOVE dance music.

But that is utter shite. :lolol:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Modern RnB rap and reggae, never been much of a fan of country or western, but there are a few exceptions.

I quite like Kate TEmpest and Sleaford Mods, but its not 'easy' listening, I'd never sit down and listen to an album on a hi-fi

Not sure if its a genre per se, but that spineless commercial sludge that sits in no mans land ( u2, coldplay, mumfords, keane etc)

Sleaford Mods is all about listening to the lyrics shirley? I agree with you about U2, Coldplay etc.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Ubiquitous (in Spain), full-volume-in-public Reggaeton doesn't do it for me. Maybe there's some good stuff but it sounds so samey.

Same here. Every reggeton song is identical. They all have the same beat, some wildly over-autotuned singer, shite lyrics if you bother to try and understand them and for some reason it's the music of choice for local knobs who play music off their phone. Pure shit without exception.

My Spanish girlfriend likes that ear pollution and I despise her for it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Same here. Every reggeton song is identical. They all have the same beat, some wildly over-autotuned singer, shite lyrics if you bother to try and understand them and for some reason it's the music of choice for local knobs who play music off their phone. Pure shit without exception.

My Spanish girlfriend likes that ear pollution and I despise her for it.

:lol: This guy gets it :cheers:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Classical music. All of it.

Tho having said that, classical music does apoear to have it's place in the world. Councils in West Sussex regularly moot it as a possible solution to stopping chavs congregating at rural railway stations

Last edited:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I've always thought it is pretty pointless arguing against other peoples taste in music, my own personal choice is as varied as the day is long. And I agree with HWT's comment,
"Thing about genres is they are a blunt tool for classification and best ignored."
It's a bit like arguing about your favourite colour.

:shrug:

or arguing about whether a Jaffa Cake is a cake or a biscuit

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
:lol: This guy gets it :cheers:

Even though I'm knocking 40 it's not like I'm saying all new music is crap, because it isn't, but come on ffs at least mix it up a bit within a genre. Lazy music and easily the most detestable thing about living in Spain. Worse than the infuriating bureaucracy and Franquistas put together*

*probably.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I’m more of a hash fan, or I was many years ago. Never popped the drugs of choice of the eighties and nineties, maybe that’s why It leaves me cold :shrug:

No actually it doesn’t leave me cold it fecking annoys me, just noisy repetitive shit :lolol:

To be fair I did pick the most offensive sub-genre I could think of! :lolol:

I doubt many people would tolerate that for more than a few seconds.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Remember when you were growing up, and your mum or dad says, 'turn that noise down', and you vow that you will never say that to your kids? My daughter found drum&bass. I added a couple of expletives to the phrase, so technically, I didnt break my vow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here