Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Like the 2nd one. You're developing quite an eye :thumbsup:

Thanks Shingle. When I look back at my posts on this thread two years' ago, it's quite embarrassing! I feel now I'm at last making progress. At that point, I only used the auto setting (Green) on my Nikon D80 as I didn't know my aperture from my elbow!! I think a full-frame camera isn't far away now.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Thanks Shingle. When I look back at my posts on this thread two years' ago, it's quite embarrassing! I feel now I'm at last making progress. At that point, I only used the auto setting (Green) on my Nikon D80 as I didn't know my aperture from my elbow!! I think a full-frame camera isn't far away now.

i will need some pointers from you, maybe some teaching

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
i will need some pointers from you, maybe some teaching
Thanks Zukey, that's very nice of you.
For what it's worth, my advice;
Read your camera's manual and play with the camera as you go, adjusting the dials, twiddling the buttons, taking photos etc. Then read it again!
Look on the internet for subjects like "How to take photos of xxxxxx (fireworks, landscapes, animals etc)".
Look every day at the photos on "Flickr Explore - Recent Photos". https://www.flickr.com/explore and ask yourself why you like the ones you do. Then try and take photos like them!
Only use the auto setting if you can't get the effect you want with A or S.
Try to be different. One of my favourite photos I seen recently was of a horse's nostrils! Complete horse photos are two-a-penny!
Cut out the clutter and keep them simple. Less is more except in some landscapes.
Go out in the "Golden Hours". (The hour as the sun rises, and the hour when the sun is setting). You get brilliant natural lighting and great skies.
Take loads of photos. Prepare to get home and find you've spent all day taking rubbish - except one brilliant one.
Delete more than you keep.
Edit your photos. Just a little cropping or increasing / reducing exposure, contrast, sharpening etc can help to make a better image.
Don't feel deflated when you see some of the amazing photos we all come across. The photographers who took them took crap when they started!!
You will get better and better. You're not doing bad now!

I'm not David Bailey, but the above seems to have worked for me?!!

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Here's one that I took on my travels in Guilin, China.......Reed Flute Limestone Cave & Reflection

Has sold well over the last couple of years, particularly in Spain for some reason.

a.jpg

PS Lightroom 5 is the dog's bollox, do 90% of my editing with it.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
West Stand Construction Photoshop Stylee.

Took this a few years ago and thought I'd practice my Photoshop skills. I do need practice too.

Attachments

• West Stand NSC.jpg
    West Stand NSC.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 260

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I've just ordered a new camera (Nikon d750 with 24 - 120mm lens).
Therefore, I don't need my Nikon d7100 and 18 - 115mm lens any more so I'd like to sell them.
It's my current camera, so pictures (although reduced in size), can be seen on this thread.
If you have any questions, please reply on this thread.
If anyone would like to make me an offer I can't refuse, please PM me.
I can deliver locally or slightly beyond.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I was at graduation yesterday, and as well as being given the normal unrequited gifts of tea (we have a lot of Chinese students), aftershave, chocolate, alcohol, etc. I also came away with a Canon 6D body, which was nice.

Which 'everyday' lens would you recommend for such a camera?
Blimey, you were either shagging or gave them top top marks! [emoji6]

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Never posted on this thread before and if im honest have no interest in photography but took this picture last week on holiday and though it was awesome ! :)
so though i would share it, is it just a good picture to me or does it have any merit :)

DSC02741.JPG

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Cambodia

/Users/christopherwilson/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2014/08/26/20140826-134306/DAemHS3CSmaU8G090mUWsA/thumb_IMG_0818_1024.jpg

if Ive downloaded it properly that is!!!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Cambodia

/Users/christopherwilson/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2014/08/26/20140826-134306/DAemHS3CSmaU8G090mUWsA/thumb_IMG_0818_1024.jpg

if Ive downloaded it properly that is!!!

try again!!

Give up

Attachments

• IMG_0818.jpg
    IMG_0818.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 191

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
try again!!

Give up

One type of my favourite photos are composed with as little as possible with as few colours as possible. This is one of those, the one of the Cambodian West Pier tribute, above. Love it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here