General Photography thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
If you Google "Photoshop", this is a screen shot of the opening page on the Shopping menu.
View attachment 171051
The two £ 14.99 offers - is it too good to be true? Is it some sort of scam? I would have thought that being on the first page of Google, all is well.
Here is the product;

Should I avoid this like the plague, or do people think it's OK?
Sensible advice would be much appreciated.

If you have an Amazon account, it's worth adding this to your save list and monitoring price drops. (Assuming you want Lightroom and Photoshop)

It's usually £60-something/year at Black Friday, but it's been cheaper at other times of the year.

Amazon product

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
If you have an Amazon account, it's worth adding this to your save list and monitoring price drops. (Assuming you want Lightroom and Photoshop)

It's usually £60-something/year at Black Friday, but it's been cheaper at other times of the year.

Amazon product

Bought a DVD of CS6 for one-off £ 70 from a much more legit looking source. All installed and works a treat. Very happy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wintery sunset a seen from my back garden. Taken on my new bottom of the range Canon.

1703704113258.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Looking east from Kingsdown this afternoon, as the sun set behind me. Taken on my bottom of the range Canon.

1703874969867.png

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
A genuine crash and car write off, after a few light ales, add a waft of cigar smoke for 'atmosphere' . . . it was about 1 am, so more than a few light ales.
I hope nobody got hurt? A candle or two for flames perhaps?!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Very new to this photography lark. Got a cannon Eos 3000D for Christmas and had a crack using Darktable for post.

Any advice would be gladly received. Will read the whole thread in bits to find wisdown as it is pretty long.

Attachments

• 20231228113007_IMG_0268.jpg
    20231228113007_IMG_0268.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
  • 20231228150636_IMG_0491.jpg
    20231228150636_IMG_0491.jpg
    914 KB · Views: 62
  • 20231228150849_IMG_0502.jpg
    20231228150849_IMG_0502.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • 20231228121137_IMG_0388.jpg
    20231228121137_IMG_0388.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 68

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I wish I could take photos that I was pleased with. I’m too lazy with my photography

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Very new to this photography lark. Got a cannon Eos 3000D for Christmas and had a crack using Darktable for post.

Any advice would be gladly received. Will read the whole thread in bits to find wisdown as it is pretty long.
I would say just carry on. Nothing wrong with those photos. I've got my knowledge (for what it's worth), from the internet. Loads of tutorials and advice, but at the end of the day, if YOU like what you've taken, it's job done.
You'll enjoy this wonderful new hobby.
Keep posting your work on here. We love to see everybody's photos.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I would say just carry on. Nothing wrong with those photos. I've got my knowledge (for what it's worth), from the internet. Loads of tutorials and advice, but at the end of the day, if YOU like what you've taken, it's job done.
You'll enjoy this wonderful new hobby.
Keep posting your work on here. We love to see everybody's photos.
Thank you, great advice.

I bought a course (heavily discounted) and I'm working my way through it slowly.

I will keep posting.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

I have not used Darktable but use an old version of Lightroom (v5.7) and Photoshop Elements (v11) so not trapped in monthly/annual costs. Most of the products do teh same thing, some better than others. I think Lightroom is still the best and its user interface is very good IMO.

Regards the pictures , if you are pleased that's all that really matters but clearly we all want to produce images which are pleasing to others.

I got into photography because I like wildlife and liked to record what I have seen then tried all sorts of things but found that mine pictures were not edgy enough perhaps because I was not very good at the arty ones.

My favourites and my best ones in terms of quality are wildlife - foxes, deer, the odd badger , lizards and of course butterflies .

My best technical pictures have been a few astro ones (andromeda, orion nebula an milky way) but they are not up to it when compared with the best.

My kit has generally been bottom end DSLR or micro 4/3rds , usually the stuff which is between a 5th or 10th of the price of the top range.

I know everyone concentrates on what camera they have but the lenses are the important things. Depends what you want to do but you might look at a fast (e.g. F2.8) and fairly wide (e.g. 20mm) lens for 'street photography ' or maybe something around 100mm with macro capability if you wanted to do butterflies.

Use what you have until you think you have mastered your current lens and camera functions then look to branch out buying a lens or two that suits the subject matter you like. I have bought most of my kit on ebay and only once had a lens which was questionable that was out of about 30 as i bought and sold to find what i wanted. Most lenses were bought cheap and resold for simialr money.

I don't know much about canon, tehre are some on here who can advise you on that brand much better than me.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Welcome to the endlessly fascinating world of photography.

We all have our own styles and tastes - so if it pleases you, it's 'right' - don't worry about what others think too much. What really counts is that a) you enjoy it, and b) your happy yourself with what you do.

Love the rooftop photo - it's the odd, quirky ones that often stand out the most and display creativity.

Enjoy.

WestYorkshireSeagull

Dec 28, 2021

These are great! It's an exciting time, getting to know a new camera!
Having a camera to shoot with (instead of a phone/whatever) will naturally make you more vigilant on what each photo's purpose is. It's that 'purpose' which is key when shooting... in my uninformed opinion anyway!

I've spent too many times trying to replicate other people's style of photography, and sometimes I still get bogged down in that mindset, when really I think you should shoot what you find interesting.

Don't worry about framing if the photo looks better absurd or abstract.
Don't worry about colour if the grey, dark scheme works with the photo's subject
Keep playing around and being interested in analysing your results :)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I took this a few months ago with the Lumix before I destroyed it. Very amusing pic of our cat, Ragnar (the bastard) pretending to ignore the neighbour's cat (on the left). Look at his face, just look at his face!

1704665277184.png

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I read somewhere that it is all about finding good light.
I am currently in the mountains in Tasmania and the light is incredible so I apologise in adavance for the probably bombardment of photos over the next few days.

Attachments

• IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0679_01.jpg
    IMG_0679_01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0705_01.jpg
    IMG_0705_01.jpg