Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I’ve owned an XT1 Xpro1 using vintage lenses….then in the x100 range the s/t/f and rented the latest model…..but gone back to the simplicity of the original model
I have an x-t1, bought it second hand a few years ago from mpb on the Internet after rather a lot of whisky. Lovely camera, lovely whisky!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Stanmer Park today.

DSCF0500~2 (1).jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Nice crispy weather pic.
I recall seeing a similar picture, not on NSC where the photographer hadn't been too observant of their subject matter which included, amongst the leaves a nicely framed lump of dog turd.
Thankfully not evident in yours.
That was a s*** photo.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Anyone into buying vintage lenses? I have a few from back when I started out in the 80's and since taking photography up again in Covid, I have gained a couple more. I bought a Pentax 135mm 3.5 last week and the way it resolves bokeh is just stunning. That's wide open and appreciably softer than a stop or two down, but I am a sucker for it.

The lens only cost £20 on ebay.

Minolta 100mm Macro - cost me about £50. Never found anything sharper.
1701553980063.png

Minolta 80-200 from the early 1990s - cost me a bit more. Something like £300, but a lot less than the newer Sony equivalent
1701554118187.png

Minolta 35-105 from the late 1980s - first one cost me £10 off e-bay. Sold it when I 'upgraded' for £15. Then realised that it was a quite astonishing lens - especially for colour renditioning, so bought another one for £15!
1701554722321.png

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Minolta 100mm Macro - cost me about £50. Never found anything sharper.
View attachment 170672

Minolta 80-200 from the early 1990s - cost me a bit more. Something like £300, but a lot less than the newer Sony equivalent
View attachment 170673

Minolta 35-105 from the late 1980s - first one cost me £10 off e-bay. Sold it when I 'upgraded' for £15. Then realised that it was a quite astonishing lens - especially for colour renditioning, so bought another one for £15!
View attachment 170675
I am thinking about a vintage 100mm macro. I'll look into the Minolta. What is the aperture and the year or model to look out for? Love the pictures btw!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I am thinking about a vintage 100mm macro. I'll look into the Minolta. What is the aperture and the year or model to look out for? Love the pictures btw!
f2.8. They made them from 1986-to about 2000. The earlier ones (metal) are supposedly the better ones, but the optics were the same in all of them.

But presumably you'll need an adapter - so may be best to look for native vintage lenses if they exist?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
f2.8. They made them from 1986-to about 2000. The earlier ones (metal) are supposedly the better ones, but the optics were the same in all of them.

But presumably you'll need an adapter - so may be best to look for native vintage lenses if they exist?
I can't use native vintage as Fuji x is the mount on my two Fuji bodies. I've been using a Pentax K to FX adapter as I had some Pentax already from back in the 80's. I am sure there's one available for Minolta. Thanks!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Sadly, the cheapest priced one on ebay has a little fungus and is £100. Bettter condition options are way more. I've noticed, like much else, vintage camera stuff has rocketed in price this last year or two as people search for more value.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Sadly, the cheapest priced one on ebay has a little fungus and is £100. Bettter condition options are way more. I've noticed, like much else, vintage camera stuff has rocketed in price this last year or two as people search for more value.
I have a Pentax k70... Can use the native old lenses on it from 40 years ago also have a simple adapter for m42 lenses to fit Pentax. They are excellent value if you don't mind manual focus and settings. My eyes are beginning to let me down a bit with MF for astro work but you do get focus confirmation. I like Pentax but it's twice the size of my Olympus, and the 100-300 lens(200-600) is very small compared to its dlsr equivalent.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I have a Pentax k70... Can use the native old lenses on it from 40 years ago also have a simple adapter for m42 lenses to fit Pentax. They are excellent value if you don't mind manual focus and settings. My eyes are beginning to let me down a bit with MF for astro work but you do get focus confirmation. I like Pentax but it's twice the size of my Olympus, and the 100-300 lens(200-600) is very small compared to its dlsr equivalent.
The 'newer' m line of Pentax typically made mid 70's to end of 80's are generally smalller than their M42 counterparts. Most of these lenses are fantastic in construction and all metal (except of course for the optics) and still make wonderful pictures. I prefer manual I think, but I do have a lot of focus misses!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The 'newer' m line of Pentax typically made mid 70's to end of 80's are generally smalller than their M42 counterparts. Most of these lenses are fantastic in construction and all metal (except of course for the optics) and still make wonderful pictures. I prefer manual I think, but I do have a lot of focus misses!
I have had a few of them. Still have 28mm and 50mm

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I have had a few of them. Still have 28mm and 50mm
50mm 1.7 or 1.4?

I had a 1.7 that came with my Pentax ME Super that I bought when I was 15 for my birthday. Really wonderful lens. Then a few years ago gave it to my youngest. Bought a replacement (ridiculously cheap, about £13 ebay iirc) which was good but then gave that to my eldest. Now I'm waiting for a 1.4 from eBay. I think the 1.7 has better reviews and the 1.4 by most accounts is softer, but I just love the bokeh!

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
50mm 1.7 or 1.4?

I had a 1.7 that came with my Pentax ME Super that I bought when I was 15 for my birthday. Really wonderful lens. Then a few years ago gave it to my youngest. Bought a replacement (ridiculously cheap, about £13 ebay iirc) which was good but then gave that to my eldest. Now I'm waiting for a 1.4 from eBay. I think the 1.7 has better reviews and the 1.4 by most accounts is softer, but I just love the bokeh!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here