Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
50mm 1.7 or 1.4?

I had a 1.7 that came with my Pentax ME Super that I bought when I was 15 for my birthday. Really wonderful lens. Then a few years ago gave it to my youngest. Bought a replacement (ridiculously cheap, about £13 ebay iirc) which was good but then gave that to my eldest. Now I'm waiting for a 1.4 from eBay. I think the 1.7 has better reviews and the 1.4 by most accounts is softer, but I just love the bokeh!
oooooh. 1.4 if it's a choice, but you've got to be precise with your focusing (y)

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Here's a pic of mine taken of some children of the Kayan (Long Neck) ethnic group in Loikaw, Myanmar. This was taken with my 85mm 1.4 (at 1.4) Canon lens. Its long gone now as ive switched to Sony A7, it weighed a ton but gave the most amazing bokeh at those wide angle apertures
myanmar.jpg

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Where is a good place to sell a camera and lens? I have an A6400 which is gathering dust at the moment.

Put off by eBay due to high fees and risk of scams - do they still side with the purchaser rather than the buyer?

I'd rather sell if face to face and be able to show the other person it is working rather than someone claim it isn't when they receive it.

Don't have a Facebook account but could potentially get my partner to list it on marketplace for me, much to her annoyance.

Gumtree I assume is just used to sell drugs these days.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Announcing that around April 2024 I will be crowdfunding to do an alternative version of More Than Ninety published back in 1997. It’s the book that documented the last 2 seasons that Brighton & Hove Albion FC had at their original ground (1902-1997). The last 2 seasons was an epic battle both on and off the pitch that became international news as fans sought to save the club from a ‘bad’ owner and on the pitch the team narrowly avoided relegation into non league obscurity. Images from 96/97 season. For anyone not aware of it here's a review on YouTube - More Than Ninety Minutes

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Where is a good place to sell a camera and lens? I have an A6400 which is gathering dust at the moment.

Put off by eBay due to high fees and risk of scams - do they still side with the purchaser rather than the buyer?

I'd rather sell if face to face and be able to show the other person it is working rather than someone claim it isn't when they receive it.

Don't have a Facebook account but could potentially get my partner to list it on marketplace for me, much to her annoyance.

Gumtree I assume is just used to sell drugs these days.
I’ve used MPB in Brighton for both buying and selling used gear. They are normally pretty reasonable and will give you a no commitment quote for your gear.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
If you Google "Photoshop", this is a screen shot of the opening page on the Shopping menu.
1702247354287.png

The two £ 14.99 offers - is it too good to be true? Is it some sort of scam? I would have thought that being on the first page of Google, all is well.
Here is the product;

Should I avoid this like the plague, or do people think it's OK?
Sensible advice would be much appreciated.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If you Google "Photoshop", this is a screen shot of the opening page on the Shopping menu.
View attachment 171051
The two £ 14.99 offers - is it too good to be true? Is it some sort of scam? I would have thought that being on the first page of Google, all is well.
Here is the product;

It is a scam. Googling 'lifetime activation' throws up results from Adobe's forum where it is stated that there is no such thing.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It is a scam. Googling 'lifetime activation' throws up results from Adobe's forum where it is stated that there is no such thing.
View attachment 171051
Here is the product;

If you google the place where there head office is , its a 3 bedroom semi and the telephone number is recorded as a scam line....

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
If you google the place where there head office is , its a 3 bedroom semi and the telephone number is recorded as a scam line....
That's incredibly helpful. Thank you very much. It seems the phone number is based in Arizona?!

WestYorkshireSeagull

Dec 28, 2021
Here's a pic of mine taken of some children of the Kayan (Long Neck) ethnic group in Loikaw, Myanmar. This was taken with my 85mm 1.4 (at 1.4) Canon lens. Its long gone now as ive switched to Sony A7, it weighed a ton but gave the most amazing bokeh at those wide angle aperturesView attachment 170789
Amazing shot!
If it's amazing Bokeh you're after then I recommend an old Helios Lens. I actually jimmied onto my A7 series a while back but it never captured in the same way as on my film cameras.
There is one in the Kit Wilson charity shop in Hailsham as of yesterday infact. £5 for lens and a zenit body!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here