General Photography thread

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
All your bird photos are great. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks JS.

Any recommendations on a best bang for my buck camera body for under £200?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thanks JS.

Any recommendations on a best bang for my buck camera body for under £200?

All I can suggest is that there are some second-bargains to be had if you don't mind pre-owned. You normally can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon.
Some interesting ones here;

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/used-dslrs/?s=1&account=214-494-8977&campaign=PPC+-+Used+-+Cameras+-+Generics&group=Used+-+Cameras+-+DSLRs+-+Generics+-+BMM&mkwid=sCJflS5HI_dc&pcrid=499083106514&kword=%2Bsecond%20%2Bhand%20%2Bdslr%20%2Bcameras&match=b&plid=&pgrid=15712052692&ptaid=aud-1636749396171:kwd-317949418300&si=PPC&gclid=CjwKCAjwo8-SBhAlEiwAopc9W501Fyfb4V43uSY-PmrkMlrF6jhpqRn2iW60R8uAZCFzydpxKV-T2BoCcckQAvD_BwE#p=categoryPath%3A"used>used-cameras>used-dslrs"&facet.multiselect=true&fields=&pagetype=boolean&rows=12&start=0&version=V2&facet.version=V2

Looks like it won't do the blue linky thing!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Went to Cambridge vs Charlton last night. Not a great night for Cambridge as Mark Bonner took the opportunity to play a few fringe players now League One safety is secured and a routine 2-0 defeat ensued.

But the setting sun over the East Anglian fens was nice :shrug:

BB77E694-DD42-483C-B939-48C595C399F1.jpeg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Attachments

• Green Hairstreak NSC.JPG
    Green Hairstreak NSC.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 106

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Male House Sparrow 1.JPG

Learning on a Panasonic Lumix TZ200. A Male House Sparrow this evening.

Playing around with Gimp.

Also wondering what max width and height is for uploding images on here? Anyone able to give definitive figures please? I can see what the max MB is for jpeg, but can't find any details on width and height.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
View attachment 147705

Also wondering what max width and height is for uploding images on here? Anyone able to give definitive figures please? I can see what the max MB is for jpeg, but can't find any details on width and height.

I just use the snipping tool. Snip the whole photo, save it and post that. It's more than good enough. That way, it doesn't seem to matter how big a resolution the original photos are.

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
View attachment 147705

Learning on a Panasonic Lumix TZ200. A Male House Sparrow this evening.

Playing around with Gimp.

Is that your decision...I had the tz100 and was very pleased with it so looking forward to your images.

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
I've been doing some planting to restore some estuary up around the inlaws place and got quite into documenting the wildlife around there. This extended into taking photos for 'observations' for inaturalist which has become quite a fun hobby. A couple of months ago I brought a bridge camera (Nikon P950), which while it may not be a purists camera due to the small sensor etc, the zoom on it is perfect for observing and documenting wildlife. I have looked into maybe buying an APSC camera with a Sigma/Tamron zoom lens, but not going to commit to the expense unless I really get into the photography more. Currently I quite like the ability to just zoom, take a pic and walk away. Not super interested in camping out for hours to get pictures closer to wildlife. I may look to do some underwater photography as well to capture estuary fish life. The P950 is doing the job so far above water.

tomtit.jpeg

Sealion.jpeg

SpottedShag.jpeg

Spoonbill.jpeg

Kereru.jpeg

WFHeron.jpeg

LittleShag.jpeg

Kaka.jpeg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I've been doing some planting to restore some estuary up around the inlaws place and got quite into documenting the wildlife around there. This extended into taking photos for 'observations' for inaturalist which has become quite a fun hobby. A couple of months ago I brought a bridge camera (Nikon P950), which while it may not be a purists camera due to the small sensor etc, the zoom on it is perfect for observing and documenting wildlife. I have looked into maybe buying an APSC camera with a Sigma/Tamron zoom lens, but not going to commit to the expense unless I really get into the photography more. Currently I quite like the ability to just zoom, take a pic and walk away. Not super interested in camping out for hours to get pictures closer to wildlife. I may look to do some underwater photography as well to capture estuary fish life. The P950 is doing the job so far above water.

View attachment 147712

View attachment 147713

View attachment 147714

View attachment 147715

View attachment 147716

View attachment 147717

View attachment 147718

View attachment 147719

What you're doing and with what your doing it with is giving great results already. I'd be proud of these photos.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I just use the snipping tool. Snip the whole photo, save it and post that. It's more than good enough. That way, it doesn't seem to matter how big a resolution the original photos are.

Which snipping tool is that JS? I can't seem to find it on here.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Is that your decision...I had the tz100 and was very pleased with it so looking forward to your images.

Yeah, decided against anything too bulky as it's bad enough with a spotting scope. I wanted something that was easy to carry around with me everywhere, but a step up from a smart phone. Originally I was dead set on the Nikon A1000, mainly for the zoom range, but then decided I'd be better off stepping up to a 1 inch sensor. The Lumix tz200 (as did the the tz100) seems to fill a handy and unique niche. Better image quality due to the larger sensor, but also with a half decent zoom.

Now all I have to do is learn how to use it! :blush: I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment by all the possibilities as I'm determined not to just keep it in auto mode all the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here