General Photography thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Come on all you photographers lets get people joined be nice to build up a portpholio (spelling?) of pics from fellow fans.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Joined.

Smirko, those photo's are awesome, how do you get the colours like that, is it by messing around with photoshop etc? Sorry if it is a dumb question but I am new to this.:rolleyes:

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Joined.

Smirko, those photo's are awesome, how do you get the colours like that, is it by messing around with photoshop etc? Sorry if it is a dumb question but I am new to this.:rolleyes:

Bit of both, taken @ twilight so colours were in the sky, enhamced etc with some tweaks on Photoshop.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Out of interest, how many people look at the histogram displayed after taking a photo? Simple reassurance that your exposure is within reasonable limits, though I guess it's not available on all cameras.

Someone put me onto this and it's been a godsend - I have started doing this religiously.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I don't have much use for histograms. There is no right or wrong histogram. I prefer to use the blinking highlights.

No right or wrong, but it's a pretty clear indication if you're losing information due to poor exposure.

The challenge is to shoot a picture where the subject is the same shape as the resulting histogram! Truro cathedral is good for that. :)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Part of a set I took a couple of weeks ago (more on Flickr - click on any photo).

Was lucky enough to go a few times. I miss it! :-(

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Part of a set I took a couple of weeks ago (more on Flickr).

Was lucky enough to go a few times. I miss it! :-(

Those are great photos. We only went to the olympic park once, but going twice for the para's, one being an evening session so looking forward to seeing it in the dark

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
A couple of mine that I've taken recently:

7777087826_db709bd7c7.jpg

Dandelion macro | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

7777092826_07aa4ce15c.jpg

Clematis in the garden | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

7776561758_9b5b8f78e3.jpg

Amex tour | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

7776666298_a6f083810c.jpg

7776706856_956673d5de.jpg

My photos never look as good as other peoples' to me! Maybe because I don't have photoshop? Is it really a worthy investment?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
My photos never look as good as other peoples' to me! Maybe because I don't have photoshop? Is it really a worthy investment?

A lot of the photos you see will have been edited to some degree or other - I find photoshop hard work and quite a bit of effort, if you don't want to commit the time and money up from, why not try Picasa or the like.....

Last edited:

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

Your photos look great to me! People are often a bit too critical of their own work.

I hate using Photoshop (have Photoshop Elements rather than the full package) and try as hard as possible to get everything right in the camera settings. I do give some images a little sharpen and boost colours but no more than that, and you can probably do that in a free programme.

Do you shoot in RAW format, or JPEG?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Your photos are perfectly fine. Its always good to be self critical because it helps you, as a photographer, to improve.

There are plenty of programs out there to help you tweak your photographs if you so wish. Photoshop itself is very pricey and way too complicated just to tweak pictures.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports