Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I see that the Lumix tz30 comes highly recommended, but does anyone own a Lumix G3?

I bought myself a Lumix G3 a couple of weeks ago and it's an absolutely fantastic camera, I've already taken some great photos (for me at least). My only complaint is that the touch screen doesn't work too well if you use your fingers but you can do everything use the buttons so it doesn't really matter.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know it's a bit late now.

But The Sunday Times magazine was a pictorial Olympic edition.

There was some stunning photography in it.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
I dont actually. D3 is so good in low light and am in to the natural light thing.

Quite interesting and exciting for you at the moment then. 50mm 1.8 is a great lens. Never get rid of that and every pro should have that in the bag. 18-200 is a good lens but feel that it will never get used once you upgrade. Saying that, it might be nice to keep if you just want to go out for the day and and not lug 2 lenses around with you.

24-70 and 70-200 will last you a life time. Again I would look at getting 2 D300s I think as you will find that really useful shooting weddings. Easy to say but it all costs!

As you know all these bodies are changing all the time so I would just look out for a used D300 and you will notice a massive difference with those lenses.

I'd recommend keeping the D90 as a 2nd body and getting a second hand D700 instead, if it's for weddings.

Well, I did the wedding shoot last weekend. I used the 24-70 and 70-200 which worked well other that the 24 end was often not quite wide enough. The camera bodies were definitely an issue though, I had a D90 with a D80 as backup. The D90 just about coped but the D80 struggled with the light. I think the advantage of a D300s or greater is you can bump the ISO right up and not lose too much detail to noise.

Lots of editing to do now, really hard to get the white balance even.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Well, I did the wedding shoot last weekend. I used the 24-70 and 70-200 which worked well other that the 24 end was often not quite wide enough. The camera bodies were definitely an issue though, I had a D90 with a D80 as backup. The D90 just about coped but the D80 struggled with the light. I think the advantage of a D300s or greater is you can bump the ISO right up and not lose too much detail to noise.

Lots of editing to do now, really hard to get the white balance even.

Have you managed to look at the photos yet? Please with them?

Post a few when done!

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Have you managed to look at the photos yet? Please with them?

Post a few when done!

Lots of decent ones, no award winners, though! I am thinking I could have done a few artistic ones, but the available time is so small, and there is pressure to get pictures in the can. The groups shots were particularly difficult to manage, people more interested in the bar than posing for photographs! Wedding photographers certainly earn their crust, that is for sure.

Don't think I will post any pics up here, will try to get some up on Tinx's Flickr group, though.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Lots of decent ones, no award winners, though! I am thinking I could have done a few artistic ones, but the available time is so small, and there is pressure to get pictures in the can. The groups shots were particularly difficult to manage, people more interested in the bar than posing for photographs! Wedding photographers certainly earn their crust, that is for sure.

Don't think I will post any pics up here, will try to get some up on Tinx's Flickr group, though.

Ive always done weddings with a second shooter. One of the biggest reasons was to help with the group shots. It must be really hard to go and arrange the people and then run back and take the photo. With doing this up to 40-50 times and everyone is either drinking or wanting to get to the bar would be a nightmare by myself.

Do you have a list for all the key photos that you need throughout the day?

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Ive always done weddings with a second shooter. One of the biggest reasons was to help with the group shots. It must be really hard to go and arrange the people and then run back and take the photo. With doing this up to 40-50 times and everyone is either drinking or wanting to get to the bar would be a nightmare by myself.

Do you have a list for all the key photos that you need throughout the day?

I did initially have a second shooter lined up but that fell though. To be honest I don't charge a huge amount so happy not to have one.

I had a long list of group photos provided by the bride. I had mentioned beforehand that the timescales were tight and she would need to allocate someone to assist with organising the lineups. Her brother helped out, it was good to have someone who knew who was who, a second shooter would not know who Auny Doreen is.

The only list I had was a list of possible poses for the happy couple, as that is the bit I struggle with.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi

Attachments

• structure.jpg
    structure.jpg
    849.3 KB · Views: 241

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I could never do wedding photography I don't think, just wouldn't like shooting under that kind of pressure. I know I'd just muck something basic up and ruin it for the happy couple! Much respect to you for doing it!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I bought myself a Lumix G3 a couple of weeks ago and it's an absolutely fantastic camera, I've already taken some great photos (for me at least). My only complaint is that the touch screen doesn't work too well if you use your fingers but you can do everything use the buttons so it doesn't really matter.

Thanks, I quite like this because it is somewhat smaller than the DSLR's mentioned in this thread. I think I may have to get myself to the shop to get a feel for it.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Dunno if any of you have ever seen the classic Durban to Drakensberg photo taken in 1988, but it has recently been updated.

Photos is taken from +- 8000 feet and shows the views from Durban Harbour to the Drakensberg mountains 160 km's away. Looks better as a poster, but you get the idea.

durban to drakensberg.jpg

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
With the light rain this morning and all the spiders' webs around, I thought I'd try and get some pictures. Took about 50 but narrowed it down a bit.

La Jardin - a set on Flickr

Best viewed in full screen :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here