General Photography thread

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
attachment.php

Wild Barn Owl taken a few weeks ago.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
For wildlife photography with a DSLR you will need at least a 300mm lens (and I would recommend at least 400mm). You will struggle to get this for the budget you have mentioned (The Canon 7D is a good wildlife camera and the crop factor of 1.6 helps but although you can get the camera for less than £400 a decent lens will cost more).
You could get a cheap lens but will end up getting frustrated with the quality - although this could be an option for an entry into wildlife photography.
Another option if you did not want to go down the DSLR route is the Canon SX 60 which has a huge 65x zoom and produces very good picture quality (although as with all bridge cameras they will not match DSLR quality).

Hailsham which lumix is this .She has a Lumix small travel camera, wide angle 25x zoom. because I know one of these is a top rated compact and given 25X zoom this is already quite powerful.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
So glad I got recommended this thread!!

Not managed to read back all of the 100+ pages but getting there!!

Im looking into taking up photographing property and hotels as a little side job.

Would really like to possible come along to a shoot or arrange a joint shoot of some interesting buildings etc etc to pick up some pointers and more detailed knowledge etc.

Would also possibly be interested in buying some second hand equipment and lenses if anyone has any that they would like to move on?

Open to all ideas re the shoot so PM me to discuss further of obv reply in the thread!

Tbh I know its a long shot this and Ive only just picked up a Canon 550D with 18-55 & 55-250 lenses that my dad had spare and has let me have to practise on and build a portfoliio with hopefully........know I obv need to get a wide angle lens but really cant work out which will be better the 10-18 or 10-22.....any tips for mainly shooting interiors?

Also has anyone used Camera Jungle to buy and sell 2nd hand equipment?

Im looking to part ex/sell the 55-250 lens as well if anyone is after one!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just looking across the fields on the way home just before Small Dole. Trouble was I got my van stuck on the grass verge because of the mud. Oh well got the picture.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 237

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Just looking across the fields on the way home just before Small Dole. Trouble was I got my van stuck on the grass verge because of the mud. Oh well got the picture.

Amazing colour sky. Any editing, or straight out of the camera?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Amazing colour sky. Any editing, or straight out of the camera?

I don't think I did edit that one Jack but I usually have two copies now and play about with one. I'm only using Adobe Photoshop express so i am a real novice on editing. I may have tweaked the temperature on that but very little. There have been some great sunsets recently.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
This was the Rome picture I meant to put up the other day but posted the much shorter Shutter speed. Maybe a bit too vibrant on the lights but what do you think Jack. All imput and tips welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 229

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
This was the Rome picture I meant to put up the other day but posted the much shorter Shutter speed. Maybe a bit too vibrant on the lights but what do you think Jack. All imput and tips welcome.
Yep. Like it.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Bluethroats are birds that are extremely rare in Britain. Managed to connect with this one yesterday :)

attachment.php

That's amazing. Where was it perched, two feet in front of your lens? Wonderful close-up.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That's amazing. Where was it perched, two feet in front of your lens? Wonderful close-up.

He's got a selection of stuffed birds he brings out every so often lol. Great picture.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
So glad I got recommended this thread!!

Not managed to read back all of the 100+ pages but getting there!!

Im looking into taking up photographing property and hotels as a little side job.

Would really like to possible come along to a shoot or arrange a joint shoot of some interesting buildings etc etc to pick up some pointers and more detailed knowledge etc.

Would also possibly be interested in buying some second hand equipment and lenses if anyone has any that they would like to move on?

Open to all ideas re the shoot so PM me to discuss further of obv reply in the thread!

Tbh I know its a long shot this and Ive only just picked up a Canon 550D with 18-55 & 55-250 lenses that my dad had spare and has let me have to practise on and build a portfoliio with hopefully........know I obv need to get a wide angle lens but really cant work out which will be better the 10-18 or 10-22.....any tips for mainly shooting interiors?

Also has anyone used Camera Jungle to buy and sell 2nd hand equipment?

Im looking to part ex/sell the 55-250 lens as well if anyone is after one!

Sorry, only just noticed this post. Can only comment on the 10-18 lens, which I've had for a few years and am really pleased with. Being an extreme wide-angle, you need to be careful of distortion. - keep the back upright, so the vertical lines stay vertical. Keep people out of the corners, or they'll look really odd. It's stabilised, so great for slow hand-held exposures in poorly lit rooms. I rarely use the long end of the zoom, so the 10-22 wouldn't give me any more in that respect. My 55-250 gives variable quality results.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Sorry, only just noticed this post. Can only comment on the 10-18 lens, which I've had for a few years and am really pleased with. Being an extreme wide-angle, you need to be careful of distortion. - keep the back upright, so the vertical lines stay vertical. Keep people out of the corners, or they'll look really odd. It's stabilised, so great for slow hand-held exposures in poorly lit rooms. I rarely use the long end of the zoom, so the 10-22 wouldn't give me any more in that respect. My 55-250 gives variable quality results.

Thks for the reply......been doing bit more research and think Im gonna try and get the Sigma 10-20 as it has some real good reviews and there ae a few on Ebay at decent prices finishing tomorrow.

Would still really be interested in a meet up if anyone up for it so that could get some pointers on interior/exterior shooting of architecture etc!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here