Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
attachment.php

Kestrel (Wild) from last week

Nice shot Kneon, nice and sharp and nice bokeh, just a shame that the claw is obscuring the beak

What lens please?

The Grub

Nov 14, 2004
Hurstpierpoint
Can I draw the photography types' attention to this thread please:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?336335-On-The-Bench-(Photo-Competition)-Help-Needed!

Thanks. :thumbsup:

I keep telling myself I need to get to grips with this thread, but it's a bit daunting. I WILL make the effort to join in soon, though. Promise!

I've had some great comment and massive thanks to everyone who has clicked the link and voted(liked) my photo. I still need a few more yet so if anyone else could take a look, I'd really appreciate it.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Canon 400mm F5.6

I wish I had got a Canon (instead of Nikon). Lots of reasons I found out afterwards. Nikon does not seem to have an alternative to the 400 m Canon prime (if I could afford it?) which seems very good judging by results.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I wish I had got a Canon (instead of Nikon). Lots of reasons I found out afterwards. Nikon does not seem to have an alternative to the 400 m Canon prime (if I could afford it?) which seems very good judging by results.

Although from what I have seen Nikon cameras appear to be less noisy than Canon.
I do love my 400mm prime though :)

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Nikon or Canon ?

I'm very happy with my Nikon 80-400mm.
Here's a Kingfisher I took last May.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128321708@N03/16991662784/in/album-72157652379520809/

Quite good. I've never got close enough to a KIngfisher.

It is only the cheap Nikons that I would not recommend, as I bought one. te absence of a built-in focus motor on the Nikon D3000 and D5000 series and the absence of the Commander flash mode of these series of cameras is a disadvantage. I don't know of this keeps the weight down or not?

I've not managed a speical picture with my new 16-300 Tamron zoom. The 16 mm at the wide angle end is much better than 18 mm. The macro is not really up to practical use at the telephoto end. OK for close-ups but the magnification is not high enough to even compete successfully with a better bridge camera. Bridge cameras lose out badly with landscapes in low light. i.e most of the time in the English weather.

Waiting for the D7300 ???

Last edited:

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Anyone here gone "mirrorless" thinking of a Sony Ar7II for next body upgrade - currently pootling along with my Canon 550d

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Anyone here gone "mirrorless" thinking of a Sony Ar7II for next body upgrade - currently pootling along with my Canon 550d

https://photographylife.com/sony-a7r-ii-use-considerations

http://www.wexphotographic.com/blog/sony-a7-and-a7r-first-full-frame-cscs-from-sony

No flash commander built in, but third party units can be attached for TTL OTC flash. No large telephoto lens are recommended if you like shooting birds etc. These sort of cameras are never recommended for fast wildlife shots.

I have been mirrorless with my Canon SX60 bridge camera which altogether more versatile than my Nikon D3200 DSLR (which has its limitations).

Myself, I hope the competition will provoke Canon and Nikon to improve their DSLRs as they can be a bit frustrating.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is only the cheap Nikons that I would not recommend, as I bought one. te absence of a built-in focus motor on the Nikon D3000 and D5000 series and the absence of the Commander flash mode of these series of cameras is a disadvantage. I don't know of this keeps the weight down or not?
It keeps the price down, and the weight. I imagine the same applies to the cheapest Canons?

Myself, I hope the competition will provoke Canon and Nikon to improve their DSLRs as they can be a bit frustrating.
Canon and Nikon have been doing this for a long time, they know what they're doing. What are you finding frustrating that you couldn't fix by getting a different model?

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It keeps the price down, and the weight. I imagine the same applies to the cheapest Canons?

Canon and Nikon have been doing this for a long time, they know what they're doing. What are you finding frustrating that you couldn't fix by getting a different model?

It does now as one of the recent Canons do not have the flash Commander TTL mode, but otherwise the Canons were better in this respect (except for the very cheapest) especially the 550D.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_flash_system
Built in focus motor helps with autofocus on third party lens.

Long distance telephoto shot using a bridge camera and cropped: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shoreham/26511358242/in/dateposted-public/ This needed to use of the flip-out screen on the bridge camera.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It does now as one of the recent Canons do not have the flash Commander TTL mode, but otherwise the Canons were better in this respect (except for the very cheapest) especially the 550D.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_flash_system
Built in focus motor helps with autofocus on third party lens.
Don't all Canons rely on the lens having the AF motor? And with Nikon, some lenses have a motor, some don't, it's not related to whether they're third party or not.

I don't know what your complaint / concern is about the competition for Canon and Nikon. What are other manufacturers doing that they're not?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Don't all Canons rely on the lens having the AF motor? And with Nikon, some lenses have a motor, some don't, it's not related to whether they're third party or not.

I don't know what your complaint / concern is about the competition for Canon and Nikon. What are other manufacturers doing that they're not?

Just that I only found out afterwards about the cheap Nikons. Reviews do not mention the considerable snags. Canons are/were better but they are going the same way with a recent model.

As I said, waiting for the Nikon D7300 as the existing affordable Nikons are limited.

Or I get the Nikon D5500, try and find a compatible flashgun to act as Commander (???) and forego the cheap third party lens (or very old Nikon lens) for auto focusing. An extra £600 because the base camera is limited compared to the Canon equivalent. PS: There are ways around the problem, inelegant bodges, wired in external flash units that get in the way and can come undone, manual focusing only etc.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Or I get the Nikon D5500, try and find a compatible flashgun to act as Commander (???) and forego the cheap third party lens (or very old Nikon lens) for auto focusing. An extra £600 because the base camera is limited compared to the Canon equivalent.
I'm confused - third party lenses for the Canon would also require an AF motor wouldn't they?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Just had the best day. Although I ran the marathon last week dressed as a rhino I have been volunteering for the charity for some time and do free photography work for them. Today I had the privilege of a grandstand seat on The Mall for the London Marathon. My job was to photograph as many people as possible running for the charity but as I was in position for more than five hours I had plenty of time to shoot other stuff too. I'm still sifting through the RAW images but there have been two I really like. One is of the winner streaking past, just short of a world record and the other is just of a human moment, with a young lady on the verge of tears as she is approached by a friend on the finishing straight. It's days like today when I love photography so much. There were 39,000+ stories out there and I was only able to grab a handful but it's an honour to do it.

605B2151.jpg

605B2436.jpg

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I'm confused - third party lenses for the Canon would also require an AF motor wouldn't they?

Your're right. Just checked. This gives the advantage to the Nikon D7200 series. This camera is a bit heavy in weight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here