General Photography thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I'm on my way to an unseen London tour, which is the underground at Charing X where Skyfall, Paddington etc have been filmed. It's the old disused jubilee line. Free tour through work, hoping to get some good pics.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Are those all your photos? Some good shots in there.

Yep. And not expensive equipment either. You can see the improvement chronologically as the camera equipment is improved.

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Lizard-comparison.html

It is not clear (in the field rather than the studio) that the DSLR can beat a good bridge camera for lizards and butterflies.

This won't last long: the mirrrorless Olympus OM D is arguably the best macro camera in the business. (I won't be getting one, too much dosh and not enough patience)

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good job.

You can see the improvement chronologically as the camera equipment is improved.
I wouldn't put the differences down to the equipment. I like the close-ups on 20th Sept 15 and 31st Aug 12. The 2016 photos have been taken from above the lizards, and I think it looks better when you're lower.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Good job.

I wouldn't put the differences down to the equipment. I like the close-ups on 20th Sept 15 and 31st Aug 12. The 2016 photos have been taken from above the lizards, and I think it looks better when you're lower.

EXIF details @ https://www.flickr.com/photos/shoreham/21570947436/in/photostream/

The 1912 would have been taken on the Canon SX40 (this camera got much better with the SX50). SX bridge cameras not much cop for landscapes in the English weather.

Li zards are pre-breeding with less light available in March. More skittish and hard to get so close.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
It's a bit underexposed, could do with brightening in post.
attachment.php

Any better?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
attachment.php

Any better?
Definitely. The brightest part of the snow is close to clipping, as is the brightest part of the waterfall. Your white balance is a bit cool (blue), but that might be an artistic choice, it was cold after all. It that the full shot as you took it, or have you cropped it at all?

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Definitely. The brightest part of the snow is close to clipping, as is the brightest part of the waterfall. Your white balance is a bit cool (blue), but that might be an artistic choice, it was cold after all. It that the full shot as you took it, or have you cropped it at all?

Thanks - yes the blue tinge is deliberate.
It has been cropped slightly but only because I needed to straighten it and by doing so it chopped a tiny bit off the top left.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
attachment.php

Any better?

FFS is that Seljalandsfoss. If so, I had to photograph it a few years back in the middle of winter, it was honestly the coldest that I have ever been in my life, it was hours before the feeling came back to my hands. Beautiful nevertheless and the only waterfall in the world that you can walk behind

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
FFS is that Seljalandsfoss. If so, I had to photograph it a few years back in the middle of winter, it was honestly the coldest that I have ever been in my life, it was hours before the feeling came back to my hands. Beautiful nevertheless and the only waterfall in the world that you can walk behind

Yes it is. Wasn't able to walk behind it this time due to the 6 inches of ice on the path but have been behind it many times in the past. Amazing waterfalls in Iceland - just processing by Skogarfoss and Gullfoss pics :)

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Brighton Bank Holiday Write-Off.

Today was as cold and horrible as yesterday was warm and lovely.

Attachments

• Bank Holiday Write Off 2 NSC.jpg
    Bank Holiday Write Off 2 NSC.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 318

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
WOW
impressive, be careful out there though.
if that was me I would consider putting that on a canvas
excellent picture once again

I think you're right.....you stick that on a 6 foot x 2 foot canvas Jack and i'd bloody buy it. Might be worth photo-shopping out that monstrosity they call the i360 pole though. Spoils the whole picture IMHO

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I think you're right.....you stick that on a 6 foot x 2 foot canvas Jack and i'd bloody buy it. Might be worth photo-shopping out that monstrosity they call the i360 pole though. Spoils the whole picture IMHO

its like a giant lightning rod!! I hate it
but the picture is fantastic

this is the website I use for mine
you can view it in different frames etc
http://www.canvas4life.co.uk/

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
this is the website I use for mine
you can view it in different frames etc
http://www.canvas4life.co.uk/
Thanks Zukey. Looks good. A 60" x 24" print would cost £ 152.99
I'll get another price from someone I know who does this sort of thing and go from there. I think this would look quite nice on canvas as you and Jevs suggest.
I'll let you know how I progress.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'll get another price from someone I know who does this sort of thing and go from there
I think it could do with some work in Lr before printing that large.

Happy to have a go to give you more ideas if you'd like

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks Triggaaar. The original is much sharper being over 6.61 mb as opposed to the 156 kb shrunk version posted on here.
Here it is on Flickr, full size.
Can I download it from somewhere?

PS - I really like your Flickr

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports