Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election predictions

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So you're not interested in his plan then. Why didn't you just say that from the start rather than wasting his time insisting divulged his plan?
I'm interested in showing why announcing a plan is a bad idea. Why are you finding this hard to grasp?

You got confused in a conversation between other people and now you're trying to suggest I'm wasting time etc :rolleyes:

Ok chaps, [MENTION=240]larus[/MENTION], [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION], I can accept that showing the opposition all your cards would be a BAD idea.
Ok good, so we're not at complete opposite ends of the debate then.

So with that in mind, shouldn't we the electorate, have a mandate on whether to accept the negotiated deal?
Would that be nice in an ideal world - yes. Is it realistically achievable, no. This is why:

1) Government tells people they will get a vote to accept a deal or not
2) EU rub hands together and pat each other on the back. They offer us the worst deal in history, knowing that the public will have to reject it.
3) We reject the deal, so we don't leave the EU, the EU get what they always wanted (us to stay) and our public don't get what they wanted (to leave).

Or are you happy to let the government negotiate then make their negotiated agreements become law before being held to account by the population?
It's not perfect, but what other way is there?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Theresa May's whole election strategy is based on the British electorate showing a complete blind act of faith on her, backed up by a heavy critique of her opponent. No need for plans, costings or appearances on TV debates, just ape Maggie Thatcher, call Corbyn a cvnt and it's job done.
I don't like her election strategy, I don't like that she hasn't been more open to interviews (although I don't mine her avoiding the leaders debate, which I think is just a circus), and I don't understand why she's avoided interviews as I think she does fine in them.

But we're not discussing her election strategy, we're discussing the governments plans for Brexit. I don't think they should tell us their plan, because it's unworkable to do so.
We have voted for Brexit. There will be Brexit negotiations. We only have a choice of two candidates to lead those negotiations, so do I want that to be Corbyn or May? Jesus christ I hope it's May.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
You're a lost cause as it doesn't matter what concerns are raised, your fingers are in your ears. :shrug:

This is true when looking at 99% of debates online about politics now, especially since the Trump election and Brexit. People have picked their sides and whoever agrees with them are genius and whoever doesn't is a communist, fascist, racist, homophobic, leftie scum etc etc

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The UK has already offered to get this issue sorted early but this has been declined by the EU. So, the EU which you love so much is the party screwing with peoples lives.

No. No it hasn't. The UK offered a cloud-cuckoo land suggestion that it wanted a deal finalised by end of July. A totally ridiculous fantasy time scale especially when your next act is to waste 6 weeks focussing on a election. But this is all a smoke screen because Theresa May can of course unilaterally decide the future of EU citizens in the UK; she doesn't have the will or decency to do this.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
[MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION], let's put it another way. You don't think it is possible to put a plan in place. However, [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] said this about the Tories:

Can either of you explain what Titanic means by this? To me it's the sort of nonsense you'd expect from Soulman.

A 25,000 word copy and paste from another source with no reference to where it is from ?

[emoji38]ol:

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
I don't like her election strategy, I don't like that she hasn't been more open to interviews (although I don't mine her avoiding the leaders debate, which I think is just a circus), and I don't understand why she's avoided interviews as I think she does fine in them.

But we're not discussing her election strategy, we're discussing the governments plans for Brexit. I don't think they should tell us their plan, because it's unworkable to do so.
We have voted for Brexit. There will be Brexit negotiations. We only have a choice of two candidates to lead those negotiations, so do I want that to be Corbyn or May? Jesus christ I hope it's May.

Here lies the problem when you get people like this.

No policies = don't care.
No costings = don't care.
Negative campaigning = don't care.
Interviews like a robot = don't care
No debating = don't care
Slash all public services = don't care
Think she might be a good negotiator = Yes I will vote Conservative

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

No debating = don't care
Did I say I don't care? No, I said I don't like. And then I said it again.

But IMO the Brexit negotiations are the most important factor over the next 5 years, and I think May would do a better job than Corbyn.

Although if we didn't have Brexit coming up, I'd still think a government lead by May would do a better job for the country than one lead by Corbyn. I suspect many of his MPs would agree with me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

No debating = don't care
Looking forward to him addressing your post by dissecting it into 50 separate pieces and telling you you're confused in an attempt to make himself look intelligent.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Jan 30, 2008
Did I say I don't care? No, I said I don't like. And then I said it again.

But IMO the Brexit negotiations are the most important factor over the next 5 years, and I think May would do a better job than Corbyn.

Although if we didn't have Brexit coming up, I'd still think a government lead by May would do a better job for the country than one lead by Corbyn. I suspect many of his MPs would agree with me.
PEOPLE HAVE SHORT MEMORIES , IT WAS ONLY A FEW MONTHS AGO THAT HIS OWN MP's were resigning because they had no faith in him DOES THE GENERAL ELECTION MAKE HIM ANY BETTER................. only for day dreamers
REGARDS
DR

larus

No. No it hasn't. The UK offered a cloud-cuckoo land suggestion that it wanted a deal finalised by end of July. A totally ridiculous fantasy time scale especially when your next act is to waste 6 weeks focussing on a election. But this is all a smoke screen because Theresa May can of course unilaterally decide the future of EU citizens in the UK; she doesn't have the will or decency to do this.

IMO, the EU is the party trying to play hard-ball over this. You continue to believe what you want (as per normal), but all I have seen so far from the EU team is disingenuous, such as Juncker leaking/misleading after a PRIVATE meeting at Downing Street. The UK government has said it is willing to sort this out fast, but that is different to being dictated to.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Weird innit?

I look at my Twitter feed and Facebook feed and it seems like Labour are going to win with the biggest landslide imaginable. Everyone I know is voting Labour. All the people I don't know, but who am connected to through social media are voting Labour

Here in Hove I walk out of my front door and the place is awash with Peter Kyle / Labour posters - only seen one Tory one so far in the entire constituency

What can possibly go wrong?

Any yet, I know this is just one big ECHO CHAMBER and outside of my little bubble, millions are going to vote for the Tories....

,,,and they will win convincingly...

...but hopefully with a reduced majority

God it's going to be depressing tomorrow

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Weird innit?

I look at my Twitter feed and Facebook feed and it seems like Labour are going to win with the biggest landslide imaginable. Everyone I know is voting Labour. All the people I don't know, but who am connected to through social media are voting Labour

Here in Hove I walk out of my front door and the place is awash with Peter Kyle / Labour posters - only seen one Tory one so far in the entire constituency

What can possibly go wrong?

Any yet, I know this is just one big ECHO CHAMBER and outside of my little bubble, millions are going to vote for the Tories....

,,,and they will win convincingly...

...but hopefully with a reduced majority

God it's going to be depressing tomorrow

Totally my situation. I put it down to the people I choose to surround myself with and have as friends. Feels like I'm in a bubble beause I know approx. 1 in 4 will vote Tory. Also the embarrassed Tory voter is not to be underestimated. Says nothing but like a silent assassin will put that across against any old candidate with a blue rosette on.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Why? He is the better speaker. Most would agree that his campaign has been better than hers as indicated by the Tory lead being reduced significantly. People do not turn out to listen to her speeches, unlike Corbyn she has not given the UK electorate any sort of articulated vision of the future, or even felt the need to do so.

Crucially, she and Davis have failed to indicate that they have any clue as to how the EU works, or have any idea what we might owe as an exit charge, or that they have done ANY homework on the subject. There's no indication that Liam Fox's state visits to drum up trade have yielded any encouraging signs either.

May's 6 years as Home Secretary can be summed up in two words - and I use these words pointedly - "car crash". She's overcut police numbers, messed up immigration, a whole series of U-turns as PM. Anyone believing in her to deliver a good deal is doing so either through blind faith, because they hate Corbyn or a combination of both.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Because her policies are more realistic that his.

He is the better speaker. Most would agree that his campaign has been better than hers as indicated by the Tory lead being reduced significantly. People do not turn out to listen to her speeches, unlike Corbyn she has not given the UK electorate any sort of articulated vision of the future, or even felt the need to do so.

Crucially, she and Davis have failed to indicate that they have any clue as to how the EU works, or have any idea what we might owe as an exit charge, or that they have done ANY homework on the subject. There's no indication that Liam Fox's state visits to drum up trade have yielded any encouraging signs either.

May's 6 years as Home Secretary can be summed up in two words - and I use these words pointedly - "car crash". She's overcut police numbers, messed up immigration, a whole series of U-turns as PM. Anyone believing in her to deliver a good deal is doing so either through blind faith, because they hate Corbyn or a combination of both.
If the public agree with you, then Corbyn will win today, and he'll lead the negotiations. I disagree with you.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Because her policies are more realistic that his.

If the public agree with you, then Corbyn will win today, and he'll lead the negotiations. I disagree with you.

But I was responding to your specific point " But IMO the Brexit negotiations are the most important factor over the next 5 years, and I think May would do a better job than Corbyn."

We're talking about one leader's ability to negotiate Brexit being better than the other and I don't see what relevance her domestic policies being "realistic" have on negotiations around the table on the specific subject of Brexit. She had two main objectives as Home Secretary in her dealings with George Osborne and that was to obtain enough government funding to keep enough police on the beat and our borders secure, and she failed to do that with her own colleague.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
This is probably the first election in my lifetime that's a serious two horse race between Left and Right.

The problem is that the Labour manifesto is too left-wing (and it's not really that left wing) to attract the older swing voters, you've got nothing for most in the Conservative Manifesto, but then you have Everything free for Everyone in the Labour manifesto, the fact that there's no centre orientated alternative to either and the media bias against Corbyn will always push older swing voters to the right; that and the fact that some people still seem to view May as Thatcher mark 2.

Had we had the Libdems of 2010 now, it could've been a bit more interesting, as I'd imagine they'd be neck in neck with Labour and the Tories, perhaps even ahead of both.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's simply the bubble of group of mates in parts of our conurbation. It was the same with Brexit - how people in SE England openly admitted that there were voting for Brexit, when in the end even in this region, a majority did.

You might not get on with those who despise Hard Left politics, hence they're not in your bubble.

Those who put Green and Labour posters up, make the most noise and type away relentlessly on NSC in support of Corbyn, are outweighed by the numbers of private people in the suburbs, rural communities and swathes of Britain who feel strongly about free enterprise or Brexit, or just distrust Hard Left policies on the economy. A Blair type opposition led by the likes of Umunna and Yvette Cooper might have had a greater chance of gaining power, on a moderate ticket.

Putting Tory posters with (a few) intolerant idiots in places like Brighton and Lewes around might lead to a smashed window or scratched car.

Whatever the result, I'm glad that all votes are equal in a constituency. The quiet person as much as the angry protester.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here