Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Theresa May has done an incredible job of making Corbyn look polished and competent in this election campaign. Her lack of ideas, vision, and constant mantras now hopelessly lampooned has marked her out as a genuine political pygmy.

My 10 year old son and his friends have been doing impressions of May attempting to answer any question with "Let me be clear.....strong and stable... etc".

Even kids can see what a total joke she is.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Poll of Polls now has Con 44%, Lab 37%.

7% was the margin at the last election....

Support for the smaller parties appears to be evaporating. The Lib Dems that thought they were going to take the country by storm must be very disappointed as must be the people that used Labour's support of Article 50 as a stick to beat Corbyn with.

Makes me a bit worried about Lewes and Eastbourne though, seats I thought the Lib Dems would get back fairly easily. Are we seeing a higher than usual tactical vote?

https://ig.ft.com/elections/uk/2017/polls/

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Poll of Polls now has Con 44%, Lab 37%.

7% was the margin at the last election....

Support for the smaller parties appears to be evaporating. The Lib Dems that thought they were going to take the country by storm must be very disappointed as must be the people that used Labour's support of Article 50 as a stick to beat Corbyn with.

Makes me a bit worried about Lewes and Eastbourne though, seats I thought the Lib Dems would get back fairly easily. Are we seeing a higher than usual tactical vote?

https://ig.ft.com/elections/uk/2017/polls/

If we see the tactical vote the Libs Dems will win Lewes & Eastbourne. The latter has lots of old people who are Brexiteers so not sure if it will happen

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
But old people don't want May's Dementia Tax.

Expect its not a dementia tax is it. Just the left labelling something and shouting hysterically as they do.

Instead of only being left with £23k of your assits, now you will have at least £100k.

I am sure those calling a dementia tax, will next week be criticising it for letting hard working people keep more of the assists than they presently do and calling for that 100k to be shared amongst society, rather than left to family.

It will go from dementia tax, to helping their rich friends.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If we see the tactical vote the Libs Dems will win Lewes & Eastbourne. The latter has lots of old people who are Brexiteers so not sure if it will happen

Yeah, sorry I was't very clear. I was trying to opine that the abandonment of the smaller parties for the big 2 could be illustrative of the tactical vote in action and as long as the Lib Dem 8% is focused in the right seats they can still make gains. Tories odds on in both seats though.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If this election campaign had another month in it, the tories would be out.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Expect its not a dementia tax is it. Just the left labelling something and shouting hysterically as they do.

Instead of only being left with £23k of your assits, now you will have at least £100k.

I am sure those calling a dementia tax, will next week be criticising it for letting hard working people keep more of the assists than they presently do and calling for that 100k to be shared amongst society, rather than left to family.

As I have previously explained - It's a punitive tax on those that require care but wish to remain in their own homes. At present, any calculation of assets for care at home does not take the value of that HOME in to account. Now, you may not be aware but people like to keep their relatives in their in home because that's where in many cases they have lived for years and are most comfortable during this most vulnerable stage of their life. That and the fact that life expectancy once that individual has moved in to a care home is very short. I'm sure you don't need to be told that most of the people that are in this situation are suffering with some form of dementia.

Of course those with other, more liquid, assets are only impacted by this change in that instead of £23k being protected, now they are proposing £100k. You probably realise that those with significant other assets are not those in the most need, they are the most wealthy. Your 2017 caring Tories.....

Dementia tax is a pretty fair description.

D

Deleted member 22389

Sums it up.

D

Deleted member 22389

As I have previously explained - It's a punitive tax on those that require care but wish to remain in their own homes. At present, any calculation of assets for care at home does not take the value of that HOME in to account. Now, you may not be aware but people like to keep their relatives in their in home because that's where in many cases they have lived for years and are most comfortable during this most vulnerable stage of their life. That and the fact that life expectancy once that individual has moved in to a care home is very short. I'm sure you don't need to be told that most of the people that are in this situation are suffering with some form of dementia.

Of course those with other, more liquid, assets are only impacted by this change in that instead of £23k being protected, now they are proposing £100k. You probably realise that those with significant other assets are not those in the most need, they are the most wealthy. Your 2017 caring Tories.....

Dementia tax is a pretty fair description.

Don't forget your savings need to be exhausted before they start tapping in to the value of your home. They have made it sound like the Tories will just take your home anyway to shit everyone up, or am I wrong?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yeah, sorry I was't very clear. I was trying to opine that the abandonment of the smaller parties for the big 2 could be illustrative of the tactical vote in action and as long as the Lib Dem 8% is focused in the right seats they can still make gains. Tories odds on in both seats though.

Interesting to see what happen in my seat in West Oxford, absolutely neck and neck Tory v Libs. You Gov saying too close to call

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Don't forget your savings need to be exhausted before they start tapping in to the value of your home. They have made it sound like the Tories will just take your home anyway to shit everyone up, or am I wrong?

Just shake that magic money tree... that will sort it. :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But old people don't want May's Dementia Tax.

my other half knows quite a older generation from the Eastbourne area, they aren't nearly as worried about the "dementia tax" as left wing posters, politicians and Daily Mail headline writers. one told her that's what you save for, to pay for your old age, which is straight from the manifesto.

aside from that though i dont think Ansell has a strong following and the few hundred majority has to be a risk. in Lewes, Caulfield will do better with a 1k majority, up against a newcomer and may benefit more from a split vote than lose from tactical votes.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Are all the Tory voters being a bit bashful/ashamed in the latest poll on this thread, or is there a genuine upheaval in process? Sadly, suspect the former.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here