Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I have never professed to " know how these things work?", i just post on the way i see it, and the way i see it is that by encouraging millions into the country (for votes as Labour has admitted) when the amount of people outstrips the amount of property, then sellers and landlords can hike up the prices until they re out of the price range of those that want to get on the ladder. The Tories have need to do more on curbing immigration, but Labour were a disgrace, in my opinion.
I believe that now properties are being built (albeit years to late) that " reducing net immigration to 100,000" might give our youngsters a chance.
Now you answer a question, seeing as you Lefties demand answers and keep banging on and on.........how would you keep up housing and infrastructure with immigration larger than Brighton and Hove put TOGETHER ie 330,000 + A YEAR as was?

Hang on; you haven’t answered any of my questions?!

How much has immigration over the past 20 years (13 years of Labour and 7 years of Tory government) affected property prices and how much has every other factor that can affect property prices affected property prices increasing?

How much difference will reducing net immigration to 100,000 (eventually, hopefully, possibly one day) make to property prices?

How much more affordable will property be in five years time with a Tory government?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Hang on; you haven’t answered any of my questions?!

How much has immigration over the past 20 years (13 years of Labour and 7 years of Tory government) affected property prices and how much has every other factor that can affect property prices affected property prices increasing?

How much difference will reducing net immigration to 100,000 (eventually, hopefully, possibly one day) make to property prices?

How much more affordable will property be in five years time with a Tory government?

The only one i did not answer was
"How much more affordable will property be in five years time with a Tory government? "
How would i know the answer, what league will the Albion be in in five years time?

Again,
"Now you answer a question, ........how would you keep up housing and infrastructure with immigration larger than Brighton and Hove put TOGETHER ie 330,000 + A YEAR as was?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's not the case is it, though? The Labour manifesto does include a proposal to look at implementing "Land Value Tax" to replace the current Council Tax, and independent studies have previously concluded that those with the biggest gardens are likely to be losers under such a scheme.

I will agree with you on two things however. I'd be in the same boat regarding Land Value Tax and I'd hope it could be costed and the proceeds accounted for before it became anything other than a discussion.

I'm confused here. Can anyone explain what the concept is, and how 'Land Value Tax' differs from the existing Council Tax, which is itself based on the 'value of the property' (rather than the house) ?

:shrug:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Good news hopefully, although i await the spoilers.

" Embarrassing blow for Macron as French envoy admits banks WON'T abandon UK after Brexit
EMMANUEL Macron's bid to snatch the UK’s financial institutions after Brexit has suffered an embarrassing blow as his French envoy admitted the majority of companies would not flee Britain."
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...institutions-wont-abandon-UK-Brexit-EU-France

Even this article says 15-20% of bank operations will move - hardly insignificant!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The only one i did not answer was
"How much more affordable will property be in five years time with a Tory government? "
How would i know the answer, what league will the Albion be in in five years time?

Again,
"Now you answer a question, ........how would you keep up housing and infrastructure with immigration larger than Brighton and Hove put TOGETHER ie 330,000 + A YEAR as was?

If immigration is a key point for you – how can you vote Tory when immigration numbers historically peaked in 2013/14, and continue to be higher than much of the preceding decades? 7 years of Tory government and they have literally done nothing to curb immigration. Please don't blame the EU as 50% of those numbers are non-EU. Is it a case of 3rd time lucky they are bound to sort it this time?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Depends what constituency in. I will vote labour not because I like corbyn but if kemptown goes labour it will help curtail Tory excess.
Where I now live the vote is more or less evenly split between Tory and lib dem with labour trailing so far behind they are almost a non entity, I have always voted labour regardless but this election I will vote for the party most likely to stop the conservative incumbent.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood

" Embarrassing blow for Macron as French envoy admits banks WON'T abandon UK after Brexit
EMMANUEL Macron's bid to snatch the UK’s financial institutions after Brexit has suffered an embarrassing blow as his French envoy admitted the majority of companies would not flee Britain."
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...institutions-wont-abandon-UK-Brexit-EU-France

Actual quote from the envoy that bears no relation to the headline:

“Most institutions consider that they will have to relocate something like 15-20 per cent of their present activities in London.

“So the majority of the business will remain in London but 15-20 per cent is not insignificant.”

My goodness, how embarrassing for Macron.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm confused here. Can anyone explain what the concept is, and how 'Land Value Tax' differs from the existing Council Tax, which is itself based on the 'value of the property' (rather than the house) ?

Essentially Land Value Tax has nothing to with the property at all, just the land it sits upon. Bigger land = more tax.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
If immigration is a key point for you – how can you vote Tory when immigration numbers historically peaked in 2013/14, and continue to be higher than much of the preceding decades? 7 years of Tory government and they have literally done nothing to curb immigration. Please don't blame the EU as 50% of those numbers are non-EU. Is it a case of 3rd time lucky they are bound to sort it this time?

"how can you vote Tory". Do you not read my posts?, even today i have stated i have NEVER voted Tory.........repeat I have NEVER voted Tory.......

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

“Most institutions consider that they will have to relocate something like 15-20 per cent of their present activities in London.

“So the majority of the business will remain in London but 15-20 per cent is not insignificant.”

I would say it was "embarrassing" how the papers and Remainers were stating that the Banks/major business were moving out of London.......we were doomed were we not.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Essentially Land Value Tax has nothing to with the property at all, just the land it sits upon. Bigger land = more tax.

Thanks.

There is certainly some sense in that, but some difficulties, too. If we (as a nation) are genuine about seeking to drive house building, without encroaching unnecessarily on green space, then punitive taxes for sitting in a single house on a big town centre plot, have some merit.

BUT - the 'value' of the land is essentially set by council planning decisions, which is fraught with issue.

Would seem a tricky policy to implement equitably.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Land Value Tax seems to make sense to me, but I would like it explained fully. Major landowners sitting on dormant land seem to be in the firing line, also those holding on to vacant property?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

So you believe losing 20% of current banking business with the EU to Paris is acceptable?

The articles includes:

“Most institutions consider that they will have to relocate something like 15-20 per cent of their present activities in London"

So Brexit hitting jobs, balance of payments, wealth and making the country poorer, lets all rejoice at this great news

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I would say it was "embarrassing" how the papers and Remainers were stating that the Banks/major business were moving out of London.......we were doomed were we not.

“Most institutions consider that they will have to relocate something like 15-20 per cent of their present activities in London. from the article you posted, Do read it all before posting

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

depends on whether they follow through on policy, which is essentially the same as Labour. both say they'll build lots of homes, but neither say how that will be delivered, both ignoring that the current planning laws obstruct building.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

As Bozza has posted - it's done on the value of the land rather than the value of the property. I've not seen the detail in the manifesto but the Daily Mail article I was shown suggested land value is 55% of the value of a property ( which is utter rubbish - try more like 30% ). What I've not seen is then how the land value relates to what Labour would charge in tax. Once gain the Daily Mail scare people suggesting people with big gardens will see their bills quadruple.

Now what is a 'big' garden ? Mine is 120ft by 25ft - big by modern standards but I brought in Hangleton because property is cheaper so I'm not cash rich so why should I pay high rates/council tax/land tax because my cheaper home happened to come with a big garden .... especially as it's a bungalow which often come with more land.

Lot's of if's but's and maybe's and I've not seen any detail on then policy .... which is strange given the usual suspects complaints about the Tory policies having no detail.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

It doesn't really matter who is embarrassed or whether 15-20 % will make people feel vindicated or not. The whole issue has been used like many others just to score points. It's just not realistic to think that banks will relocate en Masse to a high tax and regulation country like France. Quite apart from anything else it would involve persuading people to relocate their families. Persuading a few people to become expats is one thing but a whole workforce of high earners ? It's a ridiculous idea but it was repeated ad infinitum last year by people with no knowledge of the City just so they could win an argument on the internet.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As Bozza has posted - it's done on the value of the land rather than the value of the property. I've not seen the detail in the manifesto but the Daily Mail article I was shown suggested land value is 55% of the value of a property ( which is utter rubbish - try more like 30% ). What I've not seen is then how the land value relates to what Labour would charge in tax. Once gain the Daily Mail scare people suggesting people with big gardens will see their bills quadruple.

Now what is a 'big' garden ? Mine is 120ft by 25ft - big by modern standards but I brought in Hangleton because property is cheaper so I'm not cash rich so why should I pay high rates/council tax/land tax because my cheaper home happened to come with a big garden .... especially as it's a bungalow which often come with more land.

Lot's of if's but's and maybe's and I've not seen any detail on then policy .... which is strange given the usual suspects complaints about the Tory policies having no detail.

Most of what you've quoted from the Mail (amazingly) is tosh though. 55% of value? In some cases, many cases in fact, the land PLUS PERMISSION is close to 100% of the value. Somewhere like a bungalow in Hangleton, where you might fit two properties for example.

Also, I suggest that people (some deliberately) are getting this wrong when they talk about the SIZE of the land, rather than the value - which obviously is mostly driven by WHERE it is. they are not going to charge more for half an acre in Hangleton, than a mews plot in Kensington.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here