Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This - plus Dacre has had the Mail print things that Labour are allegedly going to do that aren't in the manifesto two days on the trot, on a "garden tax"

That's not the case is it, though? The Labour manifesto does include a proposal to look at implementing "Land Value Tax" to replace the current Council Tax, and independent studies have previously concluded that those with the biggest gardens are likely to be losers under such a scheme.

The Conservative manifesto doesn't include a named "Dementia Tax", but it doesn't stop opponents coming up with a scaremongering name to try and make a point.

It's just another example of the ridiculous tit for tat.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The housing market has a history prior to 1997. It also has seen nothing to curb growth since 2010 - inexplicably through a financial meltdown. Unless you are really left wing not sure how someone from the right can criticise the housing market under Labour given what we saw '79-'97 and the great housing asset strip. You seriously believe Tory policies would have led them to curb the housing market and build more homes - the very notion goes against their 18 years in power.

As i have stated many times.........i have never voted Tory. I have also stated that i will not vote Labour again, as the charade of being a party for the working class is bollocks.
Out of the two i believe this country will be better run by the Tories, quite frankly Labour are a liability. This is my opinion, i do not have "special needs" and all the other childish insults hurled by those who are not getting the opinion they want.
TBH i dislike Labour even more after seeing the way they and their supporters have acted post the EU referendum.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The housing market has a history prior to 1997. It also has seen nothing to curb growth since 2010 - inexplicably through a financial meltdown. Unless you are really left wing not sure how someone from the right can criticise the housing market under Labour given what we saw '79-'97 and the great housing asset strip. You seriously believe Tory policies would have led them to curb the housing market and build more homes - the very notion goes against their 18 years in power.

It's not that the Tories would have had any decent policy after 1997 if they were in power - it's that Labour carried on down the exactly same route as the previous Tory government. No real home building, no reversal of the awful housing policies implemented by the previous Tory government. Both parties are to blame for the chronic shortage of affordable housing and the rampant housing inflation and neither have really tackled the problem in their latest 'promises'.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's not that the Tories would have had any decent policy after 1997 if they were in power - it's that Labour carried on down the exactly same route as the previous Tory government. No real home building, no reversal of the awful housing policies implemented by the previous Tory government. Both parties are to blame for the chronic shortage of affordable housing and the rampant housing inflation and neither have really tackled the problem in their latest 'promises'.

Don't disagree with that.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Exactly, my lads are in the same boat. Do you think mass immigration under the Labour party was good for 1) Having enough properties 2) Keeping the prices of properties down to more affordable prices.

FYI youngsters could not get on the property market under Labour. Thirteen years they allowed the country to fill up so many were competing for few, the prices go up.

You keep harping on about Labour, immigration and increasing house prices, so I guess you know how these things work? So I'll ask again, as I'd love to know the answer to these questions...

How much has immigration over the past 20 years (13 years of Labour and 7 years of Tory government) affected property prices and how much has every other factor that can affect property prices affected property prices increasing?

How much difference will reducing net immigration to 100,000 (eventually, hopefully, possibly one day) make to property prices?

How much more affordable will property be in five years time with a Tory government?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I don't usually resort to this BUT this statement is utter utter bollocks !!!!!!!!!!!!

I do understand we need to attract better paid jobs not everybody wants to go to London
The point I was making employment is far worse in many other countries but we need to try an attract better paid jobs to Sussex
Technology is changing and we need to keep up that's all and I am shit with it and need help from my younger relatives.:shrug:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As i have stated many times.........i have never voted Tory. I have also stated that i will not vote Labour again, as the charade of being a party for the working class is bollocks.
Out of the two i believe this country will be better run by the Tories, quite frankly Labour are a liability. This is my opinion, i do not have "special needs" and all the other childish insults hurled by those who are not getting the opinion they want.
TBH i dislike Labour even more after seeing the way they and their supporters have acted post the EU referendum.

So which far right party are you supporting this time around, as you have left UKIP behind

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
That's not the case is it, though? The Labour manifesto does include a proposal to look at implementing "Land Value Tax" to replace the current Council Tax, and independent studies have previously concluded that those with the biggest gardens are likely to be losers under such a scheme.

The Conservative manifesto doesn't include a named "Dementia Tax", but it doesn't stop opponents coming up with a scaremongering name to try and make a point.

Quite, a couple of examples.

I hear that on June 2nd Labour will be demonstrating outside Poole Hospital to stop the closure of the A&E unit. A worthy thing to be doing apart from the fact that the A&E is not actually closing, it is being downgraded so that major trauma cases go to Bournemouth which will actually help Poole A&E to cope with other cases. What I find truly incredible about this is today I actually got a Labour election leaflet through the door and there is a piece in there form Helen Ellis NHS Development Manager, who has known the Labour candidate, Katie Taylor for years, so why has she not explained to her what is actually happening with Poole A&E?

Labour MP Andy Slaughter has put out leaflets saying that only he can save Charing Cross Hospital from closure - but the hospital is not closing and they have asked him to cease and desist.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I do understand we need to attract better paid jobs not everybody wants to go to London
The point I was making employment is far worse in many other countries but we need to try an attract better paid jobs to Sussex
Technology is changing and we need to keep up that's all and I am shit with it and need help from my younger relatives.:shrug:

My point, which I agree was badly put but I was riled by your post, is that there are not jobs for people that want them ..... I speak from experience as currently Mrs W is out of work and jointly over the last three years myself and Mrs W have jointly been out of work for a total of 14 months ..... so far.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
So which far right party are you supporting this time around, as you have left UKIP behind

Listen, i have resisted responding to your posts, you know the ones that keep mentioning UKIP all the time, because lets just say i can not be bothered with you.
I shall vote for who i want to, just mind your own business.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Yes it includes a proposal to LOOK at it - not implement it necessarily. A quick google is your friend here if you want to see how scared the right wing press are. Ludicrous projections from the Telegraph and The Sun
land tax.JPG

See that link at the bottom? You can click here to read it

It's from the pro-left Independent on 16 May. In other words it's not secret. Labour was press releasing it two weeks ago but this was at the stage when the right's tactic was to try and get Corbyn ignored and repeat "strong and stable" ad infinitum. Two weeks later and they've turned to project fear and taken an admitted proposal and spun it so that everyone's council tax will treble.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Listen, i have resisted responding to your posts, you know the ones that keep mentioning UKIP all the time, because lets just say i can not be bothered with you.
I shall vote for who i want to, just mind your own business.

So the Greens still have hope then?

*pleading Caroline Lucas face*

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes it includes a proposal to LOOK at it - not implement it necessarily. A quick google is your friend here if you want to see how scared the right wing press are. Ludicrous projections from the Telegraph and The Sun
View attachment 85886

See that link at the bottom? You can click here to read it

It's from the pro-left Independent on 16 May. In other words it's not secret. Labour was press releasing it two weeks ago but this was at the stage when the right's tactic was to try and get Corbyn ignored and repeat "strong and stable" ad infinitum. Two weeks later and they've turned to project fear and taken an admitted proposal and spun it so that everyone's council tax will treble.

Yes, I know all that, but thanks anyway. Do you think I've not used a computer before?

As I said it's just the "Dementia Tax" taken from the other side. Take a proposal from the other side, give it a name and spin it to scare.

I know Labour only do properly costed and tight financial specifics so their vagueness on this one troubles me greatly. Just how much more could my family be paying under this proposal? I can't vote for them. Not that it will make an difference, obvs.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
You keep harping on about Labour, immigration and increasing house prices, so I guess you know how these things work? So I'll ask again, as I'd love to know the answer to these questions...

How much has immigration over the past 20 years (13 years of Labour and 7 years of Tory government) affected property prices and how much has every other factor that can affect property prices affected property prices increasing?

How much difference will reducing net immigration to 100,000 (eventually, hopefully, possibly one day) make to property prices?

How much more affordable will property be in five years time with a Tory government?

I have never professed to " know how these things work?", i just post on the way i see it, and the way i see it is that by encouraging millions into the country (for votes as Labour has admitted) when the amount of people outstrips the amount of property, then sellers and landlords can hike up the prices until they re out of the price range of those that want to get on the ladder. The Tories have need to do more on curbing immigration, but Labour were a disgrace, in my opinion.
I believe that now properties are being built (albeit years to late) that " reducing net immigration to 100,000" might give our youngsters a chance.
Now you answer a question, seeing as you Lefties demand answers and keep banging on and on.........how would you keep up housing and infrastructure with immigration larger than Brighton and Hove put TOGETHER ie 330,000 + A YEAR as was?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yes, I know all that, but thanks anyway. Do you think I've not used a computer before?

As I said it's just the "Dementia Tax" taken from the other side. Take a proposal from the other side, give it a name and spin it to scare.

I know Labour only do properly costed and tight financial specifics so their vagueness on this one troubles me greatly. Just how much more could my family be paying under this proposal? I can't vote for them. Not that it will make an difference, obvs.

It's not though. Here's the Telegraph on Dementia Tax two days ago. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/28/families-could-see-half-value-home-put-risk-dementia-tax/ Even the right wing press don't like it. The Indy was quite positive on Land Value Tax though.

I will agree with you on two things however. I'd be in the same boat regarding Land Value Tax and I'd hope it could be costed and the proceeds accounted for before it became anything other than a discussion. And if Corbyn gets in as Prime Minister I'll meet you for a beer wearing a Palace shirt. You know that'd kill me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
May to be next PM odds on the drift on Betfair this morning, presumably as a result of the YouGov "hung parliament" stuff. Looking like going 1.17/1.18 very shortly.

I was surprised odds didn't shift last night when the news broke, so I took advantage again. WH let me get another small chunk on at 1.17 which I immediately layed off at 1.14.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
May to be next PM odds on the drift on Betfair this morning, presumably as a result of the YouGov "hung parliament" stuff. Looking like going 1.17/1.18 very shortly.

I was surprised odds didn't shift last night when the news broke, so I took advantage again. WH let me get another small chunk on at 1.17 which I immediately layed off at 1.14.

All this dough you are making should help pay for the 'land tax' :whistle:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Makes me think of the 1696 Window Tax which stayed in force for 156 years! Amazing how a taxation policy had such an impact on our built environment when some 300 years later we still see historic buildings with bricked up former window openings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here