Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I've never been to the South coast of England and I always imagined Hove to be a posh place. How come Labour won it? Is it a bit like Hampstead, full of pampered Labour luvvies?
I'm not being funny, this is a genuine question.

I am not sure where it covers - does it include Portslade and Southwick ? The people I know who live in Hove are neither posh nor Tory (I don't think).

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I am not sure where it covers - does it include Portslade and Southwick ? The people I know who live in Hove are neither posh nor Tory (I don't think).

it includes Portslade,Mile Oak, Hangleton, but not Southwick thats in West Sussex,
Hove has not been posh since the live exports

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I've never been to the South coast of England and I always imagined Hove to be a posh place. How come Labour won it? Is it a bit like Hampstead, full of pampered Labour luvvies?

Three parts to the Hove Constituency, sub urban probably conservative, urban Hove Labour and the post war estates probably a mix of both, of course the other parties grab votes in all these areas.

Kosmonaut

Proud Hoveonian
Feb 10, 2013
Hove
Labour won in hove because they pumped a huge amount of money into a highly charismatic candidate, while the Hove candidate was a very grumpy looking (I'm sure he's not grumpy in person) ex police chief, whose campaign was fairly dismal.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide

was always a safe tory seat when I was a kid. all our lovely middle class homes have been split into flats and sold to horrible labour voting working class/trendy lefty people. disgraceful.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Labour won in hove because they pumped a huge amount of money into a highly charismatic candidate, while the Hove candidate was a very grumpy looking (I'm sure he's not grumpy in person) ex police chief, whose campaign was fairly dismal.

This although he's definitely not grumpy and the seat was hardly a bellwether.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
BBC exit poll... Amazing

Conservative 316 Labour 239 SNP 58 LIB 10 UKIP 2

Just wow!!!

With 1 seat to declare, the actual result.

Con 330
Lab 232
SNP 56
LD 8
UKIP 1
Green 1

The exit poll actually (slightly underestimated the Tories and overestimated Labour).

How wrong, how unbelievably wrong though were all the opinion polls in the weeks leading up to the election

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Sussex to be entirely blue apart from Brighton Pavilion with an excellent local MP in Caroline Lucas, Norman Baker losing...Ed Ball losing...George Galloway losing...Tories increasing their votes and seats across the board and something north of 310 seats...

If even a few of these come to fruition then it would be a great election. Get most of them then that is quite incredible. Get the lot and I think I've died and gone to heaven.

Farage losing would be the cherry on the cake.

Did this not all happen??

Are you talking to St Peter yet?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It has its moments but the demographic has changed a lot in the past 20 years. It was blue-rinse but then came a younger crowd who were priced out of Brighton.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It was a bit more than this. He was heavily involved and known in the community prior to his selection. This played a part imho.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Ernest and Herr Tubthumper's victory thread [Election 2015]

Were you able to see into the future,,,Bravo......You are pleased no doubt as you call it "2015 Election Victory Thread"

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The final seat is in, St Ives GAIN by the Conservatives from the Lib Dems...

CON 331 (+24)
LAB 232 (-26)
SNP 56 (+50)
LD 8 (-49)
DUP 8 (-)
SINN FEIN 4 (-1)
SDLP 3 (-)
PC 3 (-)
UUP 2 (+2)
UKIP 1 (+1)
GREEN 1 (-)

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The final seat is in, St Ives GAIN by the Conservatives from the Lib Dems...

CON 331
LAB 232
SNP 56
LD 8
DUP 8
SINN FEIN 4
SDLP 3
PC 3
UUP 2
UKIP 1
GREEN 1

Well, there we go, the political map has been re-drawn. How many people expected a Conservative majority this time yesterday I wonder?

And I wonder if Labour would have lost fewer seats in Scotland had they not chosen the Wrong Brother?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
What am I missing, there are 650 seats, the Tories won 330, yet sky are showing them as having a majority of only 4 ?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I would never have guessed anything like this yesterday evening. I doubt there will be a general election now until 2020 - and then every UK party will have a different leader.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What am I missing, there are 650 seats, the Tories won 330, yet sky are showing them as having a majority of only 4 ?

They must be maths dunces or something. Each seat gained above 325 increases the majority by 2 (not 1) because every seat you gain is one less for the opposition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here