Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just read that, how on earth are our young people ever going to understand politics and the way that we vote. I would sooner a clear Labour majority than what is likely.

I see where you're coming from but I'd prefer another hung-parliament and another one in 5 years. That I hope will trigger a PR debate. All things considered it's a lot fairer and as you point out simpler.

Good point re the young vote. Whover can get the youngsters out to the polling stations will smash an election. I wonder why the main parties don't do more, or focus the majority of their efforts on, the youth vote.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Why it’s so hard for Cameron to win

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/04/29/why-its-so-hard-cameron-win/

So, Labour only need 270 seats to get in. The Tories need 290. Shows what nonsense FPTP is.
Those 20 seats are the advantage they got when Labour last changed the boundries...when the Tories wanted to change them back to an even keel,Cleggy reneged on his promise...(a bit of a habit with him as per tuition fees) to back the Tories if they gave him a referendum on AV,which they did. Can have referendum on that, but the thing that affects us most...the EU, it's a struggle to give the British people a vote. I asked sometime ago if anyone could list the benefits we get from the EU...no one listed one item.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Those 20 seats are the advantage they got when Labour last changed the boundries...when the Tories wanted to change them back to an even keel,Cleggy reneged on his promise...(a bit of a habit with him as per tuition fees) to back the Tories if they gave him a referendum on AV,which they did. Can have referendum on that, but the thing that affects us most...the EU, it's a struggle to give the British people a vote. I asked sometime ago if anyone could list the benefits we get from the EU...no one listed one item.

And perhaps you should check to see why Clegg wouldn't support the boundary changes!

Also, can you confirm how the last changes benefitted labour to the tune of 20 seats and who actually proposed the changes?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

There's lots of benefits, both macro and micro, and economically and for everyday relatively small things, which when all added up come to a great sum. I did once try and make a case for this but the anti-EU people picked on the really small items and ridiculed them. It's often these small things which I like as they're aimed fairly and squarely at making joe-public's life easier.

One issue UK residents have is the fact is the UK vetoes a lot of these everyday small things so you don't get the benefit. One example which for some reason sticks in my head was an EU vote on the minimum number of bicycles which have to be carried on trains. This came in some time ago and is supported by virtually every nation except England which vetoed it for 15 years. I concede this is not a big deal on it's own but when aligned with numerous other rulings it creates a rather easy environment for me to live my life. And one does have to ask why the UK didn't support this. But someone will say "what, we pay 60bn a year for Herr Tubthumper to be able to carry his bike on a train?" I could also tell you about the funding the EU provides for clinical studies into areas which are not lucrative enough for big-Pharma to get involved in. And if you want to talk economics there's a lot to be said in this area as well; my industry is something the UK can be proud of and benefits hugely and enormously from stream-lined pan-EU wide legislation.

I'll happily make a good case over a beer but I cannot be arsed to do it on here anymore.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. Still think the SNP shredding of Labour in Scotland (potentially close to a wipeout) will mean Labour don't get the no of seats they are expecting

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Where did I suggest that is Labour's central theme? Also, why didn't you use the whole post rather than a section out of context? I would normally credit you with a bit more intelligence in that the point I was making was to judge the last Labour government on their record up to the global crisis. Seems I was wrong.

first, i missed "n't" as in "isn't" (late night posting...). it was a rhetorical question. secondly i quoted the pertinent part relvant to the point i was making.

which is, that Miliband and Balls have made a campaign around "cost of living", of asking people to judge if they are better or worse of right now. they arent making any claims on their previous record (some would say quite rightly, though as we know it wasnt all bad). the chap you reference sounds like he's made this assessment and decided hes better off so going to vote Tory. dont blame him for such a short term view, blame the politicians for short termism.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Drew, the way you come across suggests anyone that doesn't fall into line or at least near to your beliefs is a simpleton, it's very unattractive you know!

Not quite sure how you arrive at that? I respect many people that have diametrically opposed political views to me. I made a post about someone who I thought was taking a very simple and, in my view, blinkered view on what was going to decide how he voted. I'll take the same view of someone who votes Labour because 'that's what his dad did' or something similar!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
first, i missed "n't" as in "isn't" (late night posting...). it was a rhetorical question. secondly i quoted the pertinent part relvant to the point i was making.

which is, that Miliband and Balls have made a campaign around "cost of living", of asking people to judge if they are better or worse of right now. they arent making any claims on their previous record (some would say quite rightly, though as we know it wasnt all bad). the chap you reference sounds like he's made this assessment and decided hes better off so going to vote Tory. dont blame him for such a short term view, blame the politicians for short termism.

Ok, fair enough. I agree what you say about Miliband et al and the cost of living. However my point is that you would be better judging it on what they did before a global meltdown. He is of course entitled to that view and to vote how he chooses. At least he is planning to vote.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The Labour Party won't tell us how much they are going to borrow, the Tories won't tell us what they are going to cut. This is the contempt that the mainstream political parties have for us.

Can you imagine the amount of smoke and mirrors there will be in a EU referendum (should we ever get one)?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
So would you be supportive of this if it had been Cameron and Osborne bailing out their 'Banking friends'..? I doubt it somehow.

I supported Osborne when he bailed out the irish banks. So yes, given the cataclysmic impacts of banking failure then I would have backed them

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
One more week and this thread will be FINNISH
The title will change to something like 'not long to go now people, will David be able to fool anybody into getting into bed with him' or 'not long to go....why is this unconstitutional labour government allowed, what's it got to do with jocks/Taffs/greenies

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The title will change to something like 'not long to go now people, will David be able to fool anybody into getting into bed with him' or 'not long to go....why is this unconstitutional labour government allowed, what's it got to do with jocks/Taffs/greenies

Not sure that the one seat that 'the greenies' will have will hold much sway.

A bit like the 1 (4 max) that UKIP will hold will have much sway either.

Another Election in October anyone?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
I think the fixed term parliament legislation means an election can only be called following a vote of no confidence that isn't overturned within 2 weeks or if 2/3 majority of MPs vote for an election

If cons lose this, I suspect there will be a leadership battle and they won't be ready to fight an election too soon

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I think the fixed term parliament legislation means an election can only be called following a vote of no confidence that isn't overturned within 2 weeks or if 2/3 majority of MPs vote for an election

If cons lose this, I suspect there will be a leadership battle and they won't be ready to fight an election too soon

You wouldn't have thought Ed could survive missing the biggest political open goal in years, and squandering a 7 point poll lead in just a few months, would you??

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Cameron has just walked the question time debate. Miliband was a rabbit in headlights.

It was all down to non Labour supporters in the audience sticking the knife in deeper to Miliband than non Tory supporters doing the same to Cameron. Cameron was reminiscent of Chamberlain returning from Munich in 1938 waving a scrap of paper that was worthless but Miliband missed out on the trick by not waving about the letter Maudling left in the Treasury for Callaghan in 1964 which basically said the same thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here