Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yep, this. The Tories solution to improving the economy was to slash spending, naturally hitting hardest those who need it the most. When that caused the economy to threaten to dip into recession, they eased off and the economy slowly began to recover. At that point, Osborne was telling anyone who would listen that they were doing a good job.

As far as I'm concerned, this is rather like repeatedly punching yourself in the face, then stopping for 5 minutes before lauding the fact that your face doesn't hurt any more.

I don't care which party governs, but if you really are that worried about the levels of public spending (and personally, I'm not) then do it by increasing the taxation base - either by expanding the economy or closing some of the loopholes that need to be closed, or both.

You're not alone in using this metaphor. See:

http://www.theguardian.com/business...-austerity-labours-limp-response-paul-krugman

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As soon as anyone mention 'efficiency', they relate this to cuts. This is why I now detest politics...

OK, here's something about efficiency that doesn't mention cuts. Why is the UK's productivity so poor compared with the rest of Europe? Whether it's the Bank of England talking about it or the BBC, we're remarkably unproductive (or inefficient) to use your words.

To be fair to the government, we've been unproductive compared to the likes of France and Germany for decades -I remember discussing this in my Economics A level, 40 years ago - but the current figures are particularly bad, the worst since the war

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I see the preliminary gdp figures for the first quarter of this year show
growth of 0.3% down from 0.6% for the last quarter of last year .
In terms of GDP growth per capita both would be weaker still.
It seems the slowest recovery in modern history is slowing down.
Hardly the slowest recovery in modern history: "The ONS said the economy was 2.4% larger than the same period a year earlier, meaning it remains the fastest growing economy in the G7."

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
You can't win. Whichever way you look at it, the economy isn't doing bad. Growth rate has dropped slightly, but it's still growing stronger than most other developed countries. However, the left have been blinded by the rhetoric of "Evil Tories", "Spend, spend, spend".

In response to [MENTION=4251]ROSM[/MENTION], and CMD "Cameron, the prime minister who has demonstrated knowing the price of everything and value of nothing", the lefties think throwing money at public services is OK, irrespective of the value for money. As soon as anyone mention 'efficiency', they relate this to cuts. This is why I now detest politics...

Thanks, it's nice to be called a lefty....

I work in a business where we define redundancies as efficiency saving. Its just semantics.

My comment on price and value relates to the leader of the Conservative and unionist party, doing his best to stir up hatred between England and Scotland/Europe or whoever in order to save his skin. It's short term gain for long term pain. This from the worst strategic pm in recent history. There is no long term strategy, just loads of tactical wriggles

And I write this as someone who, on paper would be a natural tory voter

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So it's not about DC then, you write as someone who doesn't vote tory. I'm not sure what it could say on paper that would make any difference to that. Maybe it says you're well off, but wealthy people can be left wing too.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
So it's not about DC then, you write as someone who doesn't vote tory. I'm not sure what it could say on paper that would make any difference to that. Maybe it says you're well off, but wealthy people can be left wing too.

Since john major, I cannot recall anybody who has led the tory party into an election who could say they were one nation Conservatives. David Davis could have done I think.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Since john major, I cannot recall anybody who has led the tory party into an election who could say they were one nation Conservatives. David Davis could have done I think.

this, i agree with you.

Def a centrist at heart, voted Tory in 92, new labour 3 times from 97, Tory in 2010...... but the more hard left policies offered by Labour now and even more so the SNP will end in economic calamity again (where a sustained period of everyone being squeezed occurs) as it did when Labour exited in 2010, 1979 and 1964.

They just never learn, i like their social justice, but it has to be affordable without deficit and massive debt else everyone suffer.

Like a kid who is given a budget of 50p to buy something in the candy store, they will rush in bedazzled by all they can get their hands on, stuff their faces, fill their pockets and then realise they cant actually pay for it, leaving the tab for someone else, and no sweets for the next generation.

Current cons are the least worst of the bunch, Labour hasnt changed at all

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Voted Tory in 87 which was my first election, was out of the country in 92 but would have voted Labour had I been more organized and Labour ever since. My politics seem to get more left-wing and hardened with age.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Voted Tory in 87 which was my first election, was out of the country in 92 but would have voted Labour had I been more organized and Labour ever since. My politics seem to get more left-wing and hardened with age.

That bucks the trend. Normally people get wiser as they get older.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I know someone who voted Tory in 79 and SWP in 83 :lolol:

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Thanks, it's nice to be called a lefty....

I work in a business where we define redundancies as efficiency saving. Its just semantics.

My comment on price and value relates to the leader of the Conservative and unionist party, doing his best to stir up hatred between England and Scotland/Europe or whoever in order to save his skin. It's short term gain for long term pain. This from the worst strategic pm in recent history. There is no long term strategy, just loads of tactical wriggles

On a related point going back to the Scots referendum of 6 months or so ago....Do you think Alex Salmond et al stirred up hatred (your terminology) between those whom wanted to leave the Union and those whom wanted to stay?

Viewing it as an Englishman (and not being affiliated to any political party) I actually do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's easier to vote labour if you don't have to live with the consequences though.

Oh behave. I've spent plenty of my life in the UK thank you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Interesting, you don't appear to be a selfish buffoon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here