Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
She pretty much is. Just a "character" the media are using to stir up hatred from the ignorant towards people on benefits.

"look! Look at the silly poor fat lady, look! She is spending your taxes on Findus pancakes and fags. Nope, nope, don't look over there at Billionaires owing the taxpayer Billions, look back at these silly poor people stealing your taxes. Nope, you're looking over there at the MP's deliberately not building new homes so they can artificially raise the price of their own property portfolios, look back at Fatty Boom Boom cackling with her neighbours on benefit street. Look at them, look you ****ing morons, look at the poor people not us!!! "

Or something.

The stunningly sad thing is it works. We're like a nation of bovine masochists. If Benefits Street had been a heartwarming tale of people succeeding in finding jobs off long term benefits against the odds, no ****er would have watched it and no ****er would have remembered it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Because I look around me and take note of what I see, without resorting to 'charity' reports with a political agenda to push. Do you REALLY beleive that a third of children in the UK are in poverty? If you really do believe that, then you have very high expectations. I would suggest that not having a flat screen TV, or the latest games console, or an i-Phone really does not count as being in poverty. Not having food on the table, or clothes on your back, or fuel to heat the home IS poverty, I do not believe that one third of children live in conditions like that in the UK.

I have high expectations. Is there anything wrong with that? Is it better than having low expectations?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The stunningly sad thing is it works. We're like a nation of bovine masochists. If Benefits Street had been a heartwarming tale of people succeeding in finding jobs off long term benefits against the odds, no ****er would have watched it and no ****er would have remembered it.

Channel 4 have got a lot to answer for. Gone are the days when it saw itself as radical, and could broadcast delicious affairs such as After Dark. Now, it's merely a vehicle for bullying certain minority groups. Its news output is good though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Correct, my apologies: regions/countries. Should I now doff my cap to..............nah, boxxocks to that.

So even though the author of the formula now says that it is now heavily flawed, do you still think that those who pay the most tax should be led by those who not only pay less, but actually receive the most in return?

You're on a roll today.

Lord Barnett doesn't 'now' say it is flawed as he died last year, however given the accuracy of your posts so far I'm sure you were aware of that. The point he raised that drew attention at the time of the referendum actually wasn't regarding who deserved to receive the most of our taxes, his point was that his formula wasn't fair in how it calculated that distribution.

If you wanted to give a devolved power more, then it should be done without hiding behind his formula. He wasn't saying it was unfair to give more money if there was an identified need, he was saying his formula didn't account for that need. It is a different message to what you appear to be trying to adopt.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Seriously though, one of my pals is from the Costa del Sol. She lives in London, has a good job, loves the country (probably more than me) and more than pays her way.

She has first hand experience of (mainly) British immgrants ghettoising parts of her own home making no effort whatsoever to integrate. Needless to say the attitudes of some sections of the British public to her is a source of extreme frustration.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Still no 'crossover' point for the Tories. Whatever's going wrong 'Dave', Gideon and Linton?

LAB back in the lead with Populus
CON 33
LAB 34
LD 9
UKIP 14
GN 4

D

Deleted member 22389

Because I look around me and take note of what I see, without resorting to 'charity' reports with a political agenda to push. Do you REALLY beleive that a third of children in the UK are in poverty? If you really do believe that, then you have very high expectations. I would suggest that not having a flat screen TV, or the latest games console, or an i-Phone really does not count as being in poverty. Not having food on the table, or clothes on your back, or fuel to heat the home IS poverty, I do not believe that one third of children live in conditions like that in the UK.

Completely agree here.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Thanks for clarifying that, the IDS I believe what I think despite evidence pointing to the contrary then

Evidence provided by who? A Labour party funded think tank? A charity who need to provide a raison d'etre?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Those are the ones I feel sorry for, that is real poverty to me.

So just before they are made homeless, living off benefits in council houses, just before they get sanctioned or their addictions take over or their mental illness makes them incapable of managing their finances, appointments or lives in general and chucked on the street , that's when they are scum? When they have been made homeless and are on the street though, then you feel sorry for them? When it's too late.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
And there are plenty of homeless sleeping rough here in shop doorways in Brighton thanks to the Tory policies and the Green council.

How are the Green council responsible for rough sleepers? FFS of all things to chuck at the Greens this is the most ludicrous. The one party that is serious about tackling the ill effects of drugs, raising the funds to maintain spending on social care and building affordable housing.

Blaming the Tories, yes. They don't give a sh*t about rough sleepers and have in fact deliberately managed to inflate their numbers through welfare sanctions. How you tie the Greens into this is mystifying.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I believe most statistics , both charity based and independent studies all agree that the figure of 1 in 4 children living in poverty is probably accurate. I have no problem with the charity findings as all charities are subject to scrutiny and their findings are checked by independent reviewers and not allowed to be published if found to be spurious. They are simply not allowed to lie. I'm more inclined to believe these collected reports than the ill informed ramblings of NSC's resident right wing faction.

D

Deleted member 22389

So just before they are made homeless, living off benefits in council houses, just before they get sanctioned or their addictions take over or their mental illness makes them incapable of managing their finances, appointments or lives in general and chucked on the street , that's when they are scum? When they have been made homeless and are on the street though, then you feel sorry for them? When it's too late.

Did I say they where scum?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Got to disagree with you I'm afraid. At my eldest son's school, my step daughers school and the school my sister teaches at there is plenty of evidence of children in poverty. Just a few examples, my step daughter has on a number occassions given away her lunch ( or part of it ) because some pupils don't have enough money to get lunch. One of my son's friends was in tears because his family can't afford to have the internet at home so his homework suffers as so many schools use online homework now. Small examples but I suggest you go and look at some schools - it might open your eyes. We can argue about the exact percentage but there are plenty of children in this country living in poverty and it's not a small number.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Got to disagree with you I'm afraid. At my eldest son's school, my step daughers school and the school my sister teaches at there is plenty of evidence of children in poverty. Just a few examples, my step daughter has on a number occassions given away her lunch ( or part of it ) because some pupils don't have enough money to get lunch. One of my son's friends was in tears because his family can't afford to have the internet at home so his homework suffers as so many schools use online homework now. Small examples but I suggest you go and look at some schools - it might open your eyes. We can argue about the exact percentage but there are plenty of children in this country living in poverty and it's not a small number.

This.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here