General Election 2015

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I cannot see anything other than Caroline Lucas winning.
Not all voters in Brighton Pavilion will distinguish between local and national issues on May 9th , the council elections on the same day could be her downfall.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
As an aside, what do other NSCs think of students having the choice of whether to vote at where they are studying, or at their parent's address?

Surely it should be one or the other?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The level of support for both parties might suggest that but IMO the FPTP system makes it very difficult for national support to translate into seats for minor parties.

the thing is that FPTP isnt designed for parties at all, its based around votes for the constituency. we then poll at a national level and wonder why there might be a different result.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, what do other NSCs think of students having the choice of whether to vote at where they are studying, or at their parent's address?

I don't see it as a big deal. The choice is a common sense approach. Can you imagine how unworkable and off-putting it would be if it was based on say the length of time they spent in a certain area over the 5 year election cycle. Out of interest how does it work for non-students? What if I moved tomorrow, which constituency do I vote in? Genuine question.

As an expat I get to vote in my last constituency but this isn't fool proof and can easily be fiddled.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

But that's been the case for years. It was the case when I was at uni in the 70s and probably long before that. It's not just for students, anyone who has two homes can be on one or the other

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Fair enough - just wondered how many of the students that vote where they are at University, then actually stay there after they've finished studying? - In the case of Brighton quite a few I guess.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
What if I moved tomorrow, which constituency do I vote in? Genuine question.

I think, but could be wrong, there's a cut off date with the Electoral Register, after which you can't change/register.

If you moved house the day before a GE you certainly wouldn't be voting in you new constituency.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think, but could be wrong, there's a cut off date with the Electoral Register, after which you can't change/register.

If you moved house the day before a GE you certainly wouldn't be voting in you new constituency.

Ta. Gwylan was a bit more thoughtful with his point though. Multiple home owners is a better analogy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What do folk think about the expat vote?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

It is one or the other -- as opposed to one, and not the other, which is what I think you mean. And what's wrong with that. It encourages an engagement in politics among a group that's increasingly excluded from politics. It's a much better idea than extending the voting age to 16, in my view.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But that's been the case for years. It was the case when I was at uni in the 70s and probably long before that. It's not just for students, anyone who has two homes can be on one or the other

The thing with people with two homes, it's not overly common so they are unlikely to have a huge effect on any particular result ( and they pay council tax in both areas ). Students being able to vote where they are studying ( assuming it isn't their home town anyway ) can effect the results in areas where there is a mass concentration of them. Brighton, Bristol, Cambridge, Oxford are just some examples.

The local Green Party have admitted that they rely on the student vote ( and being a minority party who can blame them ) BUT given that students are often only 'passing through' and don't pay council tax it would seem a corruption of the democratic process for a single group of people can have such an effect on the result.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
What do folk think about the expat vote?

A very thorny question that. As it stands the UK is one of only a few countries in the world where your right to vote expires after 15 years of being non-resident. Countries like Spain only grant residency, not citizenship, unlike the UK that seems to hand them out like confetti! So assuming I live long enough [I can vote in next 2 GE's] where then do I vote? After all the UK still takes income tax from me [deducted at source] and I also pay [albeit small amount] of tax to Spain. Remind me of the slogan coined during 'The American Revolution'?????

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A very thorny question that. As it stands the UK is one of only a few countries in the world where your right to vote expires after 15 years of being non-resident. Countries like Spain only grant residency, not citizenship, unlike the UK that seems to hand them out like confetti! So assuming I live long enough [I can vote in next 2 GE's] where then do I vote? After all the UK still takes income tax from me [deducted at source] and I also pay [albeit small amount] of tax to Spain. Remind me of the slogan coined during 'The American Revolution'?????

There is a cross-party bill to remove the 15 year limit. I think it was being read this week actually.

http://www.votes-for-expat-brits.com

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The thing with people with two homes, it's not overly common so they are unlikely to have a huge effect on any particular result ( and they pay council tax in both areas ). Students being able to vote where they are studying ( assuming it isn't their home town anyway ) can effect the results in areas where there is a mass concentration of them. Brighton, Bristol, Cambridge, Oxford are just some examples.

The local Green Party have admitted that they rely on the student vote ( and being a minority party who can blame them ) BUT given that students are often only 'passing through' and don't pay council tax it would seem a corruption of the democratic process for a single group of people can have such an effect on the result.

I just think any rule on this is unworkable. There's pros and cons to students having this choice and my take is that it's a common sense approach which hopefully helps people to vote. The student vote is the same for all parties as well; any party can tap into it.

PR would remove the issue.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I don't see it as a big deal. The choice is a common sense approach. Can you imagine how unworkable and off-putting it would be if it was based on say the length of time they spent in a certain area over the 5 year election cycle. Out of interest how does it work for non-students? What if I moved tomorrow, which constituency do I vote in? Genuine question.

As an expat I get to vote in my last constituency but this isn't fool proof and can easily be fiddled.

Of the 650 seats the biggest deal is in Brighton with 10.5% 'voters' lost down to the block register being outlawed

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Ha - enjoy your last few months of shitty Tory rule, it's looking like a Labour/SNP coalition now

Just why have Ladbrokes et al gone shorter again to 1/2 a Tory win?
With Two Kitchens Mr Beans' lot out to 13/8 I look forward to all you loony left putting your money where your mouth is? Money for old rope eh!? Go on I dare you

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Of the 650 seats the biggest deal is in Brighton with 10.5% 'voters' lost down to the block register being outlawed

I have no idea what you're talking about. Care to elaborate?

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
I have no idea what you're talking about. Care to elaborate?

Universities were able to block register students, this has been stopped so students now have to register individually. This was changed so i was told because students were having two votes one at home and one at university.The change is expected to affect the Green vote because many students are not expected to register.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports