Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thing is. Sue Ellen has now made it illegal to seek asylum. Asylum seeking (unless done via an embassy (in Iraq) via the appropriate channels (with the appropriate fees paid))) is now illegal.

That's a Big Thing.

That would have required Jews to stay in Germany in the 30s.

Which is Lineker's point.
Not yet it isn’t but all the rhetoric about illegal migrants is lies because the bill hasn’t passed yet.
They aren’t illegal so Braverman is trying to make them illegal.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
80% of those who apply for asylum here are granted it.
Britain takes in fewer than most European countries. View attachment 158161

I don’t care for such statistics because they’re so questionable and manipulated by all sides. Unquestionably though wherever we might be in such tables, even if we were 1st, we can and must do much more. Including totally reforming our immigration policy which is an utter cluster#%^*. This begins by removing an incumbent government which hasn’t a shred of credibility in more or less anything including this ministry. Then hoping the next knows what it’s doing on every front, not just immigration.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He isn’t employed by the BBC. He is freelance.

Not sure it actually matters in this example. In terms of "production" (in that what you see on air) a huge percentage are employed on a casual basis.

Channel Four is bound by impartiality rules but doesn't make any programmes itself. No-one you see on air is "on the payroll".

I personally think Linekers "defence" is disingenuous in that respect, but a complete red herring. He is clearly bound by the rules, but the rules and their application need looking at.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I tell you what, let's check the ratings / viewers for tomorrows show, compare them to what they usually get, then we can judge if Lineker's views are out of step with public opinion
Make sure you run the figures by the Secretary of State for Culture first.

Just to give them the OK, you understand?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I tell you what, let's check the ratings / viewers for tomorrows show, compare them to what they usually get, then we can judge if Lineker's views are out of step with public opinion
I suspect people will watch out of curiosity at first, and of course, there will be some crowing how much they prefer it, but give it a couple of weeks, and it will tank.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not sure it actually matters in this example. In terms of "production" (in that what you see on air) a huge percentage are employed on a casual basis.

Channel Four is bound by impartiality rules but doesn't make any programmes itself. No-one you see on air is "on the payroll".

I personally think Linekers "defence" is disingenuous in that respect, but a complete red herring. He is clearly bound by the rules, but the rules and their application need looking at.
I’ll try to find it, but there was evidence he isn’t. I’ll come back to you.

Here it is.

ROBS BROTHER

Jan 27, 2022
Why did Theresa May turn down President Macron’s offer of an asylum processing centre in France?
Why did the boats increase from 43 in 2018, to thousands last year?
Why did Britain throw out the Dublin Agreement, which enabled us to return migrants to Europe, when we left the EU?
I don't think this addresses the question posed

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Why did Theresa May turn down President Macron’s offer of an asylum processing centre in France?
Why did the boats increase from 43 in 2018, to thousands last year?
Why did Britain throw out the Dublin Agreement, which enabled us to return migrants to Europe, when we left the EU?
Where do u get 43 from…I’m seeing various figures higher than that ..but no doubting the exponential growth

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
lD8LSh6.png

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Or chant F Lineker?
The problem with doing that is that while it would seemingly be in defence of/supporting the BBC and/or it's decision, it would put them in the position of needing to cut it out of the Broadcast thus negating showing support in such a way, and leading to the same negative impact on the quality of the boradcast as those trying to support them.

If you're wanting to do that (show support/defend them), flags/giant signs that cameras can focus on and won't require the sound to be broadcast should be your tactic.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You are of course right, we should have a system, it would be called an asylum system but this government choses not to have one. I think about 75% of those applying are granted asylum. This government just wants to stop them getting to the point where they can claim asylum. The government are grandstanding because where they are in the polls, that's all they can do. Process the applicants quicker and we wouldn't be spending money on hotels and they'd be earning and contributing to society.
Imho it won’t happen, the Tories will effectively run out of time, so we’ll see the status quo.

Then over to Starmer in Dec 2024.

On the wider housing issue, the sauce of local tensions, I wonder what Starmer intends to do about the missing 3m homes. Sturgeon-esque rent controls and no eviction laws, won’t put a family of refugees or Anglo-Saxons in a single new home.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Can I suggest in any of the countries they travelled through to reach the Channel coast
That’s not sustainable. Or realistic. International Nimbyism really. It’s impossible when millions of displaced people are fleeing climate change, as they have begun to, never mind all the other causes, to expect such a policy to work. And we certainly don’t need any further evidence that it doesn’t.

New balls please!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why would it be unprofessional? It's not like they are doctors and lives are at stake? In 2013 I believe BBC journalists went on strike so it isn't without precedent.
Because it’s a public service broadcaster, and to do with an individual disciplinary. Keep calm and carry on. I want my five live commentary tomorrow please! :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Where do u get 43 from…I’m seeing various figures higher than that ..but no doubting the exponential growth
Government website which I can’t find right now but this article states 200 odd migrants which fits in with 40 odd boats.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here