Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Cancel culture has claimed someone on the left, and the tears are flowing!!! :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
Everyone should be entitled to air any view they want. Its called free speech.... expect when you work and are the face of a organistation, that is paid for by threat of jail by the British public where you have to stay politically neutral to work there.

He cannot have it both ways.
Leave the BBC, and say what the hell you like.
Work for the BBC, keep your mouth shut on anything political.
The right say the BBC is left wing
The left wing say the BBC is right wing.
My thoughts is the BBC should have been binned years ago, or at least not made a forced subscription to own and watch any live television.

For the record I think Linekar is a prick and cannot stand the bloke, but hopefully his whining will be bring the Beeb to its knees even quicker. But if he wants free speech, then do not take the BBCs money. And that goes for left and right wingers.

But I still cannot get over the funniest thing in all this, the left have had one of their own cancel, and cannot handle it!
But I think Mr Gary has a few skeletons in his closet, that are well known in certain circles, and he really cannot afford to push this too far!!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Maybe you should email PB and suggest players should express their political opinions on Twitter, as I am pretty sure they sign up to not doing so as things stand.
Can you point me to where they’re legally told that, as you’re pretty sure?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You say “we” are so lucky now, but let’s not forget that yet again in Europe people are being oppressed and attacked by a totalitarian regime, just like the Nazis.

I am firmly free speech even if I don’t agree with it, which in this case, I’m not offended but can see both points of view.
Lineaker is using his popularity for good not evil, and well done Ian Wright & Alan Shearer, for standing up for what they believe.
It depends. People escaping war, persecution, conflict or violence, I agree with you.

Others coming to the UK uninvited and not subject to the above, we should have a system. To my knowledge no western country has an unlimited open doors policy. The deportation numbers from our nearest neighbours are accelerating fast.

I support free speech of course. But I don’t believe in likening us to a regime where the murders of opponents and Jews started almost on day one. Imho rhetoric or wild exaggeration should be the preserve of ill informed keyboard warriors.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Maybe you should email PB and suggest players should express their political opinions on Twitter, as I am pretty sure they sign up to not doing so as things stand.

I am guessing btw
You're being silly, now.

Someone volunteering a comment does not predicate everyone else being required to comment. Crikey!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Cancel culture has claimed someone on the left, and the tears are flowing!!! :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
Everyone should be entitled to air any view they want. Its called free speech.... expect when you work and are the face of a organistation, that is paid for by threat of jail by the British public where you have to stay politically neutral to work there.

He cannot have it both ways.
Leave the BBC, and say what the hell you like.
Work for the BBC, keep your mouth shut on anything political.
The right say the BBC is left wing
The left wing say the BBC is right wing.
My thoughts is the BBC should have been binned years ago, or at least not made a forced subscription to own and watch any live television.

For the record I think Linekar is a prick and cannot stand the bloke, but hopefully his whining will be bring the Beeb to its knees even quicker. But if he wants free speech, then do not take the BBCs money. And that goes for left and right wingers.

But I still cannot get over the funniest thing in all this, the left have had one of their own cancel, and cannot handle it!
But I think Mr Gary has a few skeletons in his closet, that are well known in certain circles, and he really cannot afford to push this too far!!!
Nobody's perfect.

Except me.

:drama:

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
I’m sure most companies have social media policies and other HR policies and if you break them, you expect consequences.
Mine does and forms part of your annual recertification of contract.

So if the BBC have this policy for employment, then why does he expect no sanctions for breaking the rules ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can you point me to where they’re legally told that, as you’re pretty sure?
The fact they don’t is what makes me pretty sure. Surely not that hard for you to realise that?

ROBS BROTHER

Jan 27, 2022
Thanks for the response. I think the first step to discussing this problem is to understand the distinction between the different groups within the immigration debate.

Asylum seekers, economic migrants are not 'call them what you want' they are two distinct groups with two distinct strategies necessary to process them. It is vital to understand the difference and not allow people to conflate the two.

This conflation is how you have ended up with the hopeless and ineffective policies we are seeing.

A agree that a fair and equitable response is what everyone (including Lineker) is after. The point is that the policy being offered by the Conservatives is simply not one.
If the conservative policy is not the one and I'm not saying one way or another whether it is, all I'm met with is deafening silence when it comes to alternatives. Maybe Starmer, Lineker et al should turn their attention to that

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You're being silly, now.

Someone volunteering a comment does not predicate everyone else being required to comment. Crikey!
Perhaps both you and GB can explain why virtually none do then?

Or is that silly too?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It depends. People escaping war, persecution, conflict or persecution, I agree with you.

Others coming to the UK uninvited and not subject to the above, we should have a system. To my knowledge no western country has an unlimited open doors policy. The deportation numbers from our nearest neighbours are accelerating fast.

I support free speech of course. But I don’t believe in likening us to a regime where the murders of opponents and Jews started almost on day one. Imho rhetoric or wild exaggeration should be the preserve of ill informed keyboard warriors.
Thing is. Sue Ellen has now made it illegal to seek asylum. Asylum seeking (unless done via an embassy (in Iraq) via the appropriate channels (with the appropriate fees paid))) is now illegal.

That's a Big Thing.

That would have required Jews to stay in Germany in the 30s.

Which is Lineker's point.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
1C0CD4BE-88FC-4587-A040-F981ECE44507.jpeg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Perhaps both you and GB can explain why virtually none do then?

Or is that silly too?
None do what? Comment?

As they say, it only takes good people to stay silent for evil to prevail.

Staying silent, even if most do that, is not a virtue.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Thanks for the response. I think the first step to discussing this problem is to understand the distinction between the different groups within the immigration debate.

Asylum seekers, economic migrants are not 'call them what you want' they are two distinct groups with two distinct strategies necessary to process them. It is vital to understand the difference and not allow people to conflate the two.

This conflation is how you have ended up with the hopeless and ineffective policies we are seeing.

A agree that a fair and equitable response is what everyone (including Lineker) is after. The point is that the policy being offered by the Conservatives is simply not one.
Very much this. The British government now and those in decades to come must do better. Much much better. Process. Accommodate. Find work. Integrate. Because millions more refugees (war, economic and increasingly climate) will be coming here because of these causes. It simply isn’t acceptable or realistic to pretend other solutions exist in my view.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It depends. People escaping war, persecution, conflict or violence, I agree with you.

You are of course right, we should have a system, it would be called an asylum system but this government choses not to have one. I think about 75% of those applying are granted asylum. This government just wants to stop them getting to the point where they can claim asylum. The government are grandstanding because where they are in the polls, that's all they can do. Process the applicants quicker and we wouldn't be spending money on hotels and they'd be earning and contributing to society.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
None do what? Comment?

As they say, it only takes good people to stay silent for evil to prevail.

Staying silent, even if most do that, is not a virtue.
My sole point is that if you work for a company that requires you to to sign up to not expressing political opinions you shouldn’t. If you choose to, you live with the consequences. I kind of hope Lineker doesn’t back down but I think he might.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You are of course right, we should have a system, it would be called an asylum system but this government choses not to have one. I think about 75% of those applying are granted asylum. This government just wants to stop them getting to the point where they can claim asylum. The government are grandstanding because where they are in the polls, that's all they can do. Process the applicants quicker and we wouldn't be spending money on hotels and they'd be earning and contributing to society.
Exactly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here