Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is brilliant. Reasons not to support Lineker.

1. He earns too much, the lucky bastard.
2. Being on MOTD, gives him undeserved authority.
3. He wants to enter politics (?), so we shouldn't trust him.
4. He's not in politics, so don't pay attention to what he says.

Talk about shoot the messenger. Christ.
Superb.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Possible, but given nobody who supports Lineker's side, and is against the small boats policy, said this, and plenty of people who are for the government policy, and who've shown no interest in football for their entire lives did come out and say it ..... i reckon they are just saying what they think their side in the culture war demands them to say rather than what they actually think.
nobody seems a bit of a stretch. you don't speak for me. I'm against the policy. support Linekers side but have no desire to see him return to match of the day

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'm amazed that so much credence is given to Lineker's comments. If I were on the level of payment which he pockets I think I'd be keeping a lower profile. Nevertheless, if he wants to make his name in politics (which seems to be the objective) then let him stand in an election somewhere and see if he can convince the voters.
I reckon that he has absolutely no desire to be a politician. :shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Superb that it is now the jobs of the Tory lapdogs in charge of the BBC that are on the line and GL, with continued support from his colleagues is reinstated.
And he is not cowed….

AD3C9A20-F65D-497D-9634-B7270658420A.jpeg

That’s the true British spirit. Back yourself.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Mail Online headline 🤣

Fury at BBC for humiliating climbdown as Gary Lineker wins Twitter row: Tim Davie apologises and invites the host back to Match of the Day - and presenter celebrates with yet another tweet about migrant crisis​

So the Mail and everyone else is calling it a win for Lineker (and good sense). Yet our own swivel eyed social commentator and troll of the people @Wokeworrier has called it as a score draw.

We need to up our trolling game on NSC.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The 2 things that have just made me sigh the most during this whole thing

1 - the WEIRD obsession some people have about the holy licence fee. "I don't pay my licence fee to......blah blah blah". Oh just SHUT UP. It's like £15 a month and there WILL SOMETIMES be stuff on the BBC, over ALL the channels, ALL the websites, ALL the radio stations that you JUST might not love. You know what? Don't watch/listen to that bit. I don't really like Mrs Brown's Boys. I'm not kicking off about it. It probably costs me less than 1p per year when you consider all the thousands of hours off bbc content out there. I don't complain to Netflix because 90% of their content isn't to my liking despite me paying for it. I watch the bits I like.

2 - People who think they are being edgey by saying "You know what? I actually preferred MOTD without the commentators or the over-paid pundits". Of course you did Steve.

Add into that the bizarre habit of referring everything back to his salary. 'you'd think that on his money he'd be trying to keep a low profile' one of my personal favourites.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So the Mail and everyone else is calling it a win for Lineker (and good sense). Yet our own swivel eyed social commentator and troll of the people @Wokeworrier has called it as a score draw.

We need to up our trolling game on NSC.
Sounds like one of those North Korean news bulletins after they lost to Brazil at the World Cup claiming they actually won

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm amazed that so much credence is given to Lineker's comments. If I were on the level of payment which he pockets I think I'd be keeping a lower profile. Nevertheless, if he wants to make his name in politics (which seems to be the objective) then let him stand in an election somewhere and see if he can convince the voters.
Just like Marcus Rashford eh? Stick to football?

It shows that these two people have a conscience unlike many politicians who are only in it for themselves.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well you actually. By denying the content of very recent posts, you appear to be inadvertently claiming ownership of those vacuous arguments.

At least make some semblance of an argument, rather than all your ad hominem stuff.
And the **** has given you a thumbs up! He will never stop till he joins he likes of Das Reich in the NSC dustbin. Plum.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is brilliant. Reasons not to support Lineker.

1. He earns too much, the lucky bastard.
2. Being on MOTD, gives him undeserved authority.
3. He wants to enter politics (?), so we shouldn't trust him.
4. He's not in politics, so don't pay attention to what he says.

Talk about shoot the messenger. Christ.
Top reseach. Do you find flat-headed nets best for catching all the flat fish and wrigglers at the bottom of the pond? When I'm feeling lazy I find a shovel will do. :thumbsup:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Top reseach. Do you find flat-headed nets best for catching all the flat fish and wrigglers at the bottom of the pond? When I'm feeling lazy I find a shovel will do. :thumbsup:
For me, the best one was 'If I were on the level of payment which he pockets I think I'd be keeping a lower profile.'

It's all going on there. Jealousy, inadequacy, an inability to comprehend why anybody would show empathy for refugees when enjoying a high income etc. Classic.

Is there a word for when you set out to troll, and you end up whooshing yourself and being completely unaware you've done so?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For me, the best one was 'If I were on the level of payment which he pockets I think I'd be keeping a lower profile.'

It's all going on there. Jealousy, inadequacy, an inability to comprehend why anybody would show empathy for refugees when enjoying a high income etc. Classic.

Is there a word for when you set out to troll, and you end up whooshing yourself and being completely unaware you've done so?
:lolol:

Partridged?

Fabridecanted?

Caked?

Jessup-Jessuped?

Clarkey-catted?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Interesting story from 1978 about refugees fleeing Vietnam on a battered freighter named Huey Fong.

After some resistance, they were allowed to land at (then) British-ruled Hong Kong.

One of the refugees went on to become America's 'hot sauce billionaire' (he named his company after the boat which saved his life).

Another of the refugees, on the same boat, spent a year in refugee camp on Hong Kong before the US took him in.

He won an Oscar (Best Supporting Oscar) last night...

Great to see the Mail write such heartwarming stories about refugees!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
:lolol:

Partridged?

Fabridecanted?

Caked?

Jessup-Jessuped?

Clarkey-catted?
I'm drawn to Fabridecanted. I'll see if I can come up with any contenders.

But I'm still trying to figure out at what income level the empathy kicks in at. In gammonworld, it obviously doesn't kick in at the modest wage he is taking home, but then, he thinks a high income would lead to a low profile, and therefore also zero empathy. I'm going to sleep on that one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here