Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't think it matters whether you're a right wing johnny or whatever, but it's difficult to argue that Lineker should be denied his speech, while others are allowed it. Is anyone arguing that?
No. The likes of Mad Nad are just being one-eyed and focusing on Lineker while refusing to acknowledge the existence of others (of a different persuasion) doing the same. You and @Tom Bombadil have hit the nail on the head.

There are other nails, too, and it seems they have all been swiftly hit on the head today. Interesting times....

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Out of curiosity as I’m up in sunny Leeds, did Jeff Stelling mention it much on Sky? You’d think he would have to.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I don't think it matters whether you're a right wing johnny or whatever, but it's difficult to argue that Lineker should be denied his speech, while others are allowed it. Is anyone arguing that?
not anymore trig, not anymore

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Seems to me the BBC were in a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation. At least we wont have to hear Shearer saying' it should have been in the back of the net' a dozen times or more
how would the beeb be damned if they had left well alone and let lineker speak?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Out of curiosity as I’m up in sunny Leeds, did Jeff Stelling mention it much on Sky? You’d think he would have to.
Not directly, but there was a parallel. One of their presenters, Michelle Owen, was criticised, on Twitter, for wearing pink trackies.
Jeff Stelling commented on the ridiculous criticism, and said ‘in solidarity with Michelle, I am wearing pink trackies’ Standing up as he said it, revealing his pink trackies. :lolol:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Tweets from Roger Mosey (@rogermosey) the former Head of BBC TV News and Director of Sport:

"So a few quick thoughts on where we are now with Gary and the BBC and the future. (1/5)

First, the tweets this week weren't compliant with editorial guidelines as they have developed over the decades. The BBC is right about that, and also that impartiality is vital. But... (2/5)

The BBC has been inconsistent in applying the guidelines over the years. Their statement about not wanting Lineker to be "an opinion-free zone" is an example of murkiness. The corporation also hasn't explained why Lineker is restrained but Alan Sugar & Co seem not to be. (3/5)

But most crucially now, by removing Lineker from MOTD, it looks as if the BBC has given in to one side of the culture war. That is, of course, intensified by the presence on the BBC board of govt appointees - most notably the chairman. (4/5)

So suggestions for now: Richard Sharp should go. He damages the BBC's credibility. Ideally, Lineker should stay within clear, agreed guidelines. And the BBC should send out its executives to be interviewed and explain how they intend to resolve this crisis. (5/5)"

That's pretty much where I am.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So what’s the end game here, how is it moved on? Is it as simple as GL adding “views are my own and retweets are not an endorsement” to his Twitter account?’
Lineker will be dropped from MotD, many aspiring football pundits will decide if they end their career or step in. BBC management dont have any interest in backing down and many outside the BBC think Lineker overpaid and too much money spent on football rights anyway. could see MotD gone from BBC.

or... after the weekend a statement from BBC clarifying the position for comments, they found Lineker didn't breach them and so will continue. it all blows over as if nothing happened, save a witty reference by Lineker next week.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That’s a point….. Have any of the other companies that GL works for made any statements ?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Any news on radio Sussex commentary of today’s game
Tweeted earlier that they’re at the ground but no news I’ve heard on whether they go out

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Tweets from Roger Mosey (@rogermosey) the former Head of BBC TV News and Director of Sport:

"So a few quick thoughts on where we are now with Gary and the BBC and the future. (1/5)

First, the tweets this week weren't compliant with editorial guidelines as they have developed over the decades. The BBC is right about that, and also that impartiality is vital. But... (2/5)

The BBC has been inconsistent in applying the guidelines over the years. Their statement about not wanting Lineker to be "an opinion-free zone" is an example of murkiness. The corporation also hasn't explained why Lineker is restrained but Alan Sugar & Co seem not to be. (3/5)

But most crucially now, by removing Lineker from MOTD, it looks as if the BBC has given in to one side of the culture war. That is, of course, intensified by the presence on the BBC board of govt appointees - most notably the chairman. (4/5)

So suggestions for now: Richard Sharp should go. He damages the BBC's credibility. Ideally, Lineker should stay within clear, agreed guidelines. And the BBC should send out its executives to be interviewed and explain how they intend to resolve this crisis. (5/5)"

Likewise

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Seems to me the BBC were in a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation. At least we wont have to hear Shearer saying' it should have been in the back of the net' a dozen times or more
Not really. They could simply have said 'Gary Lineker' tweets are his own views and do not reflect the views of the BBC'

So what’s the end game here, how is it moved on? Is it as simple as GL adding “views are my own and retweets are not an endorsement” to his Twitter account?’
Yes - and the BBC could do the above.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Lineker will be dropped from MotD, many aspiring football pundits will decide if they end their career or step in. i dont think the BBC management have any interest in backing down and many outside the BBC think Lineker overpaid and too much money spent on football rights anyway. could see MotD gone from BBC.
I can see Lineker returning. Tweeting out he stands by his tweet, but apologises for the distraction and interruption to this week's MotD (tweeting so that next week they don't have to talk about it too much on the actual show to ensure political neutrality), maybe copied in to a press release from the BBC. Then they don't mention it again, and at the end of the season Gary decides it's time to step down from the show.

He'll continue to be involved in football broadcasts - cup games, internationals etc. MotD can bring in someone new to present without the taint of pushing Gary out, maybe Alan and Ian step aside "to allow the show a fresh start". Again, they still have live games they can do punditry on.

Edit to clarify: Those will be stated reasons. Whether the BBC sack him or he quits because he doesn't want to not show support for causes he believes in, and they all just agree to present it as an unrelated decision.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

"f*** that" is where I am.

If you run a private company: fine, be the fascist **** who decides what opinions, feelings and thoughts people can and can not express.
If you are publicly owned company in a democracy: sorry, you shouldn't be allowed to silence your workers, because you have a responsibility to live up to the core principles of a democracy... which includes free speech.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here