Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Hyperbole everywhere.
I wonder really how many people are outraged by Lineker's comments or the BBC's intrusion.
Media driven hate and shit stirring in any and every direction. No opportunity missed and people lap it up.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
matt frei on lbc postulating that this entire kerfuffle is cos the tories are going to fight the GE on immigration, as they have nothing else, sophistry?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
BBC haven’t miscalculated because they’re

Beeb have strongly denied this, and put out a statement to this effect and are showing it on BBC3 I believe?
However, they also had a statement on their Countryfile page clearly stating the show was a six-part series with no mention of the final episode being hived on a different platform. So perhaps they're not being entirely honest after all.

EDIT - I assume that this is the Attenborough show being referred to. The quote is incomplete, If not, then apologies.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
At what level of earnings do you lose your right to criticise a government without losing your job?
He’s a high profile face of the bbc . And is very, very well remunerated for the privilege . I don’t necessarily agree with the bbc’s position but I don’t think it’s asking too much for Lineker to either stop taking the money or suck it up.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
watched by the target audience though? its an odd side issue to keep coming up, based on speculation by anonymous source, denied by the producer.
I've never watched BBC3 but have watched all the Attenborough documentary Series on primetime BBC1
Every
Single
One
But hey who cares what the BBC with our money

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Suggestion the MOTD production team won’t be working today.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Can't we all chip in and pay a politician to say something he might be outraged by?
Can you buy politicians?
Maybe something along the lines with "hang all the black people"?
I'm sure he'd find that quite offensive, meaning he might say something like "no I don't like that", which is clearly not impartial and according to some in here would be a good reason to sack him.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
He’s a high profile face of the bbc . And is very, very well remunerated for the privilege . I don’t necessarily agree with the bbc’s position but I don’t think it’s asking too much for Lineker to either stop taking the money or suck it up.
So what's the salary threshold where you are/aren't allowed to express an opinion in public?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You don't think it is too much to ask that people working in television should not be allowed to criticise the government without getting sacked or suspended?

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Glenn Murray is out too!

I wonder when the small handful of Brighton fans supporting the BBC on this will realise they're on the wrong side of history?

You are in danger of making an assumption here that fits with your own views. You actually have no idea whether a 'small handful' of Brighton fans support the BBC or whether the majority do (in truth, most probably don't care that much) , or whether they would be 'on the wrong side of history. An NSC thread is not necessarily representative of all Brighton fans. For what its worth, this was the subject of debate amongst last night's crowd in our local pub. Apart from one person who was incensed by the BBC, no one cared about the politics but everyone wanted Lineker sacked because he is an overpaid twatt.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
So we've got presenters, pundits and production teams "oot".
Who will be the first player to support Gary and withdraw from playing this afternoon or tomorrow.

Edited to clarify withdrawing from playing.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here