Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Garcia's reasons for leaving (from today's Argus, per Andy Naylor)

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
It seems to me that article could have been written weeks ago. So my question is...why wasn't it? I don't expect to read it in the club programme, but I do expect to read it in the Argus if they knew.

Are the Argus now so 'in' with the club that they dare not stand up to a sharp call from Barber? Being in a play-off campaign is not a good reason, they are supposed to be independent journalists covering the football club, not an extension of the club's PR machine.

I.don't know. There have been a few sharp calls from the club to the argus in recent history. Maybe if the argus did know this and didn't run with it, was because they didn't went to unsettle the play off push. Or because Oscar promised exclusivity if they waited until season end

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It seems to me that article could have been written weeks ago. So my question is...why wasn't it? I don't expect to read it in the club programme, but I do expect to read it in the Argus if they knew.

Are the Argus now so 'in' with the club that they dare not stand up to a sharp call from Barber? Being in a play-off campaign is not a good reason, they are supposed to be independent journalists covering the football club, not an extension of the club's PR machine.

That article is pretty negative towards the club - I'm not sure it was published with their blessing.

I'm also pretty sure they wouldn't have known that Oscar was going to jump ship until the weekend just past.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
"He gave the club a list of potential signings from Spain and abroad when he took the job. None of them were delivered."

If a manager cannot get the players he want's, he won't have the team he want's playing the way he want's.

It's a stupid idea to separate management from recruitment in my opinion.

A manager having a player he does not particularly want, a player being managed by a manager who does not particularly want him. We are playing exactly as you would expect under these kinds of circumstances. It's horrible and it needs to change now.

I think this is obvious now with Lita and Obika what a waste of the player budget these two were.
We keep hearing that we did not have a great player budget, but we sure knew how to waste what we had if you include Agustein, Monakana, Rodriguez, Chickson Lita and Obika which all came out of this seasons budget, but contributed very little to the team.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think if you recruit a manager, you should have faith in him and let him deal with the transfers. He obviously has to work within a budget, and that needs to be closely monitored but it's no different from any other business in that regard. Front end people will always want to spend more money than the business can afford and will be reigned back. But you still need them to come up with the ideas, the vision of what they want.

Why appoint a manager if you don't trust him fully to build a team? Makes no sense to me.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I.don't know. There have been a few sharp calls from the club to the argus in recent history. Maybe if the argus did know this and didn't run with it, was because they didn't went to unsettle the play off push. Or because Oscar promised exclusivity if they waited until season end

El Presidente said on another thread there were people who knew all this weeks ago, he mentioned Naylor by name and also 'In The Know' types on NSC, and suggested that not upsetting the play-off campaign was the reason. Now what fans know and choose/choose not to publish is totally up to them. But IF as he suggested the Argus knew and now feel they can't run a story, however true, because it might upset the club, that is serious. It's their job and profession and that would be far too good a story to sit on. One of the truths about journalism is that if you never upset anyone, you probably aren't doing your job properly.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That article is pretty negative towards the club - I'm not sure it was published with their blessing.

I'm also pretty sure they wouldn't have known that Oscar was going to jump ship until the weekend just past.

Let's hope we never get to the stage where the Argus feel they have to have the club's 'blessing' before they publish a story!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Let's hope we never get to the stage where the Argus feel they have to have the club's 'blessing' before they publish a story!

Absolutely, but it was you who seemed to be suggesting that the timing of this piece is to do with influence from the club. I'm suggesting I don't think it is.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely, but it was you who seemed to be suggesting that the timing of this piece is to do with influence from the club. I'm suggesting I don't think it is.

Actually, it wasn't me. It was El Pres initially (before this article appeared). But having read it, it looks as if much of the information has been known for a while.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I would imagine most fans would be pissed off this all came out during our run-in though, and they wouldn't want to p off their readers

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I agree with you but my general point is under FFP we seem to have introduced a layer of authorisation within the club which if the argus are to be believed caused a delay that put the player off. For all we know bloom would have sanctioned the deal for the sound business reasons you detail but it took so long he lost interest and signed a new deal at Bournemouth.

We obviously need to control our spending in a FFP environment but we need a process and understanding that does not mean us missing out on our targets

Yep that layer of authorisation has been very costly. When you have 25,000 + fans turning up every home game and great away support hoping for success, it is a massive failure, and the knock on effect might rear its head with lower attendances next season because we now know that the club is not serious about promotion.

Why would the fans want to turn up if the recruitment department doesn't? (That's not a question to you btw)

albionite

May 20, 2009
If true what is wrong with that, kind of like the idea that they sit on a story and not derail a club while still in a chance for play offs.
Wish the national tabloids would do the same with national team at major comps. You wait they will have one or two shocking stories about players just before it starts.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
El Presidente said on another thread there were people who knew all this weeks ago, he mentioned Naylor by name and also 'In The Know' types on NSC, and suggested that not upsetting the play-off campaign was the reason. Now what fans know and choose/choose not to publish is totally up to them. But IF as he suggested the Argus knew and now feel they can't run a story, however true, because it might upset the club, that is serious. It's their job and profession and that would be far too good a story to sit on. One of the truths about journalism is that if you never upset anyone, you probably aren't doing your job properly.

I'm not sure what the Argus' thinking would be, but rather than just being 'scared of upsetting the club' is it not just more likely that the appreciate how beneficial to themselves their relationship with the club is? The Albion news sells that paper, and on the whole Albion fans want to read good news, in the middle of a succesful season.

I think they'd be more scared of 'upsetting' their readership than the club - which was a real chance if they were seen to be shit stirring / destabilising things at a crucial time.

Remember when the Jury's Inn scandal broke? There is no way the Argus could not run that story, and yet even then there were calls for boycotts of the paper on here, and a general feeling that the paper was being 'disloyal / ungrateful' to the club.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Serious question - for those commenting on the budget - what are we supposed to do? Spend more than we can afford? I don't understand managers moaning about it, in the business world if an executive of a company sets up boundaries on funds or certain constraints then those below can't just just quit, you have to deal with it. We've spent 90 odd million on a training ground, 30 million or so on a training ground recently.

I heard the same as Bozza re: Oscar btw, apparently he wasn't interested in picking out a player and going and specifying specific players he was happy for Burke to do this & he was offered the title 'manager' after the Poyet case was dropped and he rejected it. I'm willing to bet Oscar has another job lined up, no source for that but this whole situation stinks of him wanting an easy get out clause.

Brillo71

Apr 30, 2014
The AMEX stadium is of "Premiership Quality" AND this was bragged about when moving in. Its a stadium capable of hosting International matches due to its inside training/warm up areas. Now we have fantastic, quality training facilities that ALL the players are excited about. If this is not enough to show the intentions of the club, then I dont know what is? Not all championship clubs have a fraction of what Brighton now have, they have come a long way.

However, with the parachute payments now in place, unless a team gets out of the Championship - they will always struggle against those team that have experienced this.

With the financial strain and cost covering that needs to go on, staying inside the FFPs is very difficult. What will QPR do if they dont win the Play off final!? Oh I know, they will pay the leniant fine imposed and push for automatic promotion next season! Along with Norwich, Fulham, Wigan, Forest, Blackburn... The list goes on!

The Championship is becoming tougher and tougher to get out of. You cannot sit back and expect to build or a few more years before getting up! Thats not a positive or realistic way of looking at things. The fan base will drop! How much emptier has the stadium appeared this season? Crowd attendance is still high due to season ticket holders - That didnt make the matches! They will go, gate sales will go down.

With a few extra players - earlier in the season when Garcia wanted them - Brighton may have actually done better. The new training facility next season will help - but the manager in MUST use the development squad and have funds available to improve the squad straight away. On top of that - we need the core of our current squad to remain. That is the only way to push for Automatic promotion.

Otherwise, accept that you have a lovely stadium and are a Championship side at best! I dont think any fan will appreciate that - and it wont attract quality players. Youth players will go elsewhere as they want top tier football.

Its not rocket science but FFP seems to be holding the club back. The Club hierarchy needs to change and give the manager appointed more power, and ensure its a manager that will play passing possession football - else the club will come straight back down again!

Just my thoughts...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

The Argus is on its last legs. Circulation down to the low thousands if you believe what you read, hemorrhaging their best employees, moving sub-editing out west. It surely can't be viable in print form much longer and the Albion is one of its few remaining selling points, so they'd be loathed to burn any unnecessary bridges with the club I'd have thought.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
I'm not sure what the Argus' thinking would be, but rather than just being 'scared of upsetting the club' is it not just more likely that the appreciate how beneficial to themselves their relationship with the club is? The Albion news sells that paper, and on the whole Albion fans want to read good news, in the middle of a succesful season.

I think they'd be more scared of 'upsetting' their readership than the club - which was a real chance if they were seen to be shit stirring / destabilising things at a crucial time.

Remember when the Jury's Inn scandal broke? There is no way the Argus could not run that story, and yet even then there were calls for boycotts of the paper on here, and a general feeling that the paper was being 'disloyal / ungrateful' to the club.

I agree entirely - the other thing to bear in mind is if, by some miracle, we had been promoted, then I'm sure Oscar would have stayed - being given a much bigger transfer budget and presumably a significant say in who was in his team.

If the Argus had of run this in the run up to the play-offs, they would quite rightly have been accused of disloyalty and negativity towards a team trying to do its best in the play-offs. On balance their decision to wait and see was probably the right one.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I feel sad that we will never see the team that Oscar would have built. He did an amazing job given the circumstances which now seem to be so constraining that he must have wanted to walk away after January.

I remember Oscar on arrival saying he was looking for a project and turned better offers down to come here. One can only conclude the truth of budget constraints (presumably not what he was told before he came here) and now the news that not a single one of his targets was delivered, are perfectly reasonable reasons for him to walk away. Shocking just shocking IMO.

Difference between Oscar and Gus is that Gus was allowed to sign his targets and didn't in reality take us any further than Oscar.

Spot on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here