• In

Votes: 379 77.0%
  • Fence

Votes: 62 12.6%

• Total voters

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I have seen a lot worse but we have got good players, but the system that Oscar plays is just so defensive , there has only been a handful of games i have enjoyed this season .
I dont mind losing but i want to enjoy the football . we have the players but it seems he does not have the courage to play a more attacking style . we are hardly scoring a goal a game and i am tired of hearing we have lots of chances , because in most games we have very few clear cut chances or shots at goal .

How many clear cut chances did Ipswich have on Saturday?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Thing is with that, I see a lot of people saying judge him after next season but I think the problem is, the crowd is getting restless.
What was it, 29000 against Ipswich? Probably 2 or 3 thousand below that if you counted bums on seats. There was an awful lot of empty paid for seats on Saturday.

I know a few good knowledgeable football people that have not renewed are have not been to every game. The reason they give. Its boring and unenjoyable football.

If Garica suddenly showed us the attacking football he promised, then I think people would accept it more than the boring rubbish we have at the moment.

Off course if his boring football takes us up this season, all will be forgotton and he'll be a hero.

But if it doesn't then there is going to be a lot of restless paying fans at the Amex next season.

Unless has already promised to change the way we play and bring the attacking football he promised, I think the club will be taking a massive gamble leaving him in charge next season if he fails this season, purely down to the lack of entertainment value.

Personally as much as I love the club, I would not take that gamble.

I think the short term future is far more important than people think it is.We are on a crest of a wave still. The Amex syndrome that the doom merchants have predicted for the past few seasons, is very closely upon us. If this style of football carries on into next season, and we fail to make the play offs, then the drop of in support will be massive IMO.

I think it may have happened this season, but for the fact we are still in the shout for the play offs.

If this does continue and this time next season when ticket renewal time comes around, and we are well outside the play offs, then I think the Amex syndrome will kick in, and I for one would rather act now, by either ordering Garica to play to style he promised when he joined, or simply let him go and act in the short term interests of the club, because without short term success (until the end of the year), I think the mid term outlook (next 3 or 4 seasons) is bleak.

spot on
really good post
although wasted on those who cannot see the overview

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I have seen a lot worse but we have got good players, but the system that Oscar plays is just so defensive , there has only been a handful of games i have enjoyed this season .
I dont mind losing but i want to enjoy the football . we have the players but it seems he does not have the courage to play a more attacking style . we are hardly scoring a goal a game and i am tired of hearing we have lots of chances , because in most games we have very few clear cut chances or shots at goal .

history will only ever show the results

unfortunately

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I think we do play attacking football. It's based on using possession to create attacking opportunities. If you're referring attacking without consequence then I can see why you're disappointed. I guess I like the evolution that has happened in European football, where the spanish model has merged the italian tactical defensive set up with the technical aspects of dutch "total football".

If we didn't play a form of attacking football we wouldn't have the number of shots we do. If you think that the number of shots we have isn't enough, on average we have more shots than the opposition.

The issue is our finishing.

This website is quite interesting http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/211/Statistics/England-Brighton
But whatever the stats say, we are not scoring goals. If it was the odd game, who could complain. But its game after game after game. In my opinion, whatever the style is, if you don't score goals, you need to change it.

As I say, for the club, and that means the team we all love, the main problem is lack of entertainment. Entertain and fail, the fans will come back. Fail to entertain and fail, and do it for long enough you will drive fans away.

When I speak to other season tickets holders of other clubs, they were amazed that we have had to renew and already will start paying next seasons season ticket this season.

If it wasn't for that masterstroke of marketing from the club, the current situation would be a lot more serious come the end of April.

As it is, the question I ask, is can I see it improving under Garica next season. The answer based on what I have seen of him (and I sit right behind the dug outs and pay for more attention to the managers that I probably should, but there not much to entertain me at the moment) is that he will not or can improve the entertainment value. Therefore the next question is, do I think he will get us promoted this or next season. Again I think the answer is no, and for that reason and that reason alone, I personally would sack him tomorrow and bring in someone proven to entertain, because I think this club is sitting on a knife edge over the next 10 months, that could see the fan base plumett, and I would do everything possible for the good of the club to stop that happening, and if that means making an unpopular choice of changing the manager as this late stage of the season I would do it. Not because we might missed out on promotion this season, but what his style and entertainment value of the football, we potentially do to us in the short/medium term.

Thats an interesting comment re the Poyet and ceiling....and yes it did seem to be Grabban taking the mick and demanding more.

Presuming Garcia gets another chance next season, you wonder what the budget will be then...various people out of contract ...the age of our back line...imho it won't just be tactics or indeed what manager :shrug:

Ignoring Ulloa's salary there's a £2M(?) over budget transfer expenditure made in the January 2013 window.
BHA's Board approves two budgets based on Championship or Premier League membership for this season in March/April 2013, enabling all departments to forward plan for 2013/14.
Budgeted P&L (in both) will include around £500K amortisation for Ulloa, this manifests itself as expenditure.
We don't get promoted so Poyet, who knows what's coming, goes public to offload the flack and becomes even more arsey. This results in him being fired for misconduct but may not be the entire story - eg timing of Reading's "approach" and the date the alternative BHA budgets were set.
Cost cutting, redundancies and service contract renegotiation are expedited to "clawback" an additional £500k.
BHA doesn't pay Poyet any severence (supposedly)
Club announces in summer 2013 that Garcia's budget is slightly above that set for 2012/13 - remember budget does not equal expenditure so comparison is of cautionary relevance.
I ask Bozza to change my username to Hybridxx or similar. :smile:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
How many clear cut chances did Ipswich have on Saturday?
How many saves did their keeper have to make? It is not a one off game either was it!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ignoring Ulloa's salary there's a £2M(?) over budget transfer expenditure made in the January 2013 window.
BHA's Board approves two budgets based on Championship or Premier League membership for this season in March/April 2013, enabling all departments to forward plan for 2013/14.
Budgeted P&L (in both) will include around £500K amortisation for Ulloa, this manifests itself as expenditure.
We don't get promoted so Poyet, who knows what's coming, goes public to offload the flack and becomes even more arsey. This results in him being fired for misconduct but may not be the entire story - eg timing of Reading's "approach" and the date the alternative BHA budgets were set.
Cost cutting, redundancies and service contract renegotiation are expedited to "clawback" an additional £500k.
BHA doesn't pay Poyet any severence (supposedly)
Club announces in summer 2013 that Garcia's budget is slightly above that set for 2012/13 - remember budget does not equal expenditure so comparison is of cautionary relevance.
I ask Bozza to change my username to Hybridxx or similar. :smile:

So when Barber says Garcias budget is higher than the season before its just spin really ...thanks for the rest thats interesting

So when Barber says Garcias budget is higher than the season before its just spin really ...thanks for the rest thats interesting

Not in my view. I've worked in the pharmaceutical industry most of my working life and budgets were primarily for planning and business discipline, actual expenditure is something else. Same principles in the pharma consultancy business I own now. Sounds patronising perhaps (unintended) but people need to understand what the word means, particularly that knobhead Steve Claridge.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not in my view. I've worked in the pharmaceutical industry most of my working life and budgets were primarily for planning and business discipline, actual expenditure is something else. Same principles in the pharma consultancy business I own now. Sounds patronising perhaps (unintended) but people need to understand what the word means, particularly that knobhead Steve Claridge.

lol

''need to understand what the word means'' ..thats it i don't think people really do.....but then you've made it sound a lot clearer than what I've seen from the club tbh

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
But whatever the stats say, we are not scoring goals. If it was the odd game, who could complain. But its game after game after game. In my opinion, whatever the style is, if you don't score goals, you need to change it.

I'm quoting this bit and suggesting you really think about what you're saying.

Whatever the stats say? They are the nearest you have to facts. The facts are that the players believe they have a shooting opportunity and are taking that opportunity. The result is they are not converting those opportunities into goals.

Look at it like this, are you saying that even though we, on average, have more shots than the opposition that it is down to tactics that we are not scoring?

Really? or is it down to the players?

I think it's down to perception, and people being subjective.

E.g. You might say "I like fast end to end football, therefore whatever the stats say, I believe that more of our shots would go in if we played fast end to end football"

Whereas I would say "I think more of our shots would go in, if we had Orlandi, Crofts, a fit Ulloa available all season plus a decent replacement for Barnes".

:)

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
How many saves did their keeper have to make? It is not a one off game either was it!

You're completely missing the point.

We had more shots. We had more chances. We didn't convert the chances.

That is not down to tactics, it is down to the player the chance falls to.

See my reply to your other post.

lol

''need to understand what the word means'' ..thats it i don't think people really do.....but then you've made it sound a lot clearer than what I've seen from the club tbh

Glad it helped (cue some accountancy type, El Pres exempted, telling me I've got this all wrong) but no business is ever going to spoon feed its customers on word definition is it.
FFS despite Barber, Bloom, The Albion Roar etc etc flogging this to death a large proportion of NSC still thinks that Garcia is the team manager and a head coach is the first Mill Road P&R bus to leave the Amex.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Glad it helped (cue some accountancy type, El Pres exempted, telling me I've got this all wrong) but no business is ever going to spoon feed its customers on word definition is it.
FFS despite Barber, Bloom, The Albion Roar etc etc flogging this to death a large proportion of NSC still thinks that Garcia is the team manager and a head coach is the first Mill Road P&R bus to leave the Amex.

lol.......time for some shut eye..night

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
How is he supposed to provide attacking football when all the flair players are either always injured (Buckley, Orlandi), mostly out of form (KLL) or not snapped up when given the chance (Conway)?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
You're completely missing the point.

We had more shots. We had more chances. We didn't convert the chances.

That is not down to tactics, it is down to the player the chance falls to.

See my reply to your other post.
I think you are missing the point.

If its a one of game, I could accept it. But game after game after game, the stats show we are dominating, Garica is using these stats to back this up but watching the game we are not. We may dominate possession stat wise, but we are not dominating games. I believe those two points are very different things.

I am using the Ipswich game as an example, because its the most recent, and in my view a typical performance from us, the only difference being we didnt snatch a win like we did against QPR, Ipswich snatched the win.

23 shots I read somewhere as a stat. A fact as you put it.

I SAW their keeper make one reasonable save from Lingards volley. That is a fact as well.

Now, Ulloa we are lead to believe is priced above £5million. We have a £5 million striker, and we have 23 shots, yet didn't really threaten their keeper. Its not a one off. Would you agree to that?

SO although you're stats, you're facts as you say, show we are dominating, my eyes, as pointed out above tells me we are not.

Now are you suggesting that our players are that poor, that week in week out that although having above average shots per game, we are scoring hardly any goals.

Are you saying that those players are that weak?

I don't think they are?

So why is our shooting, our shots on target so piss poor, compared to the amount of shots you claim we are having??

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I was under the impression that he was building the team from the back.
Defensively strong to concede less goals, then improve the midfield to help the defense and service the forwards, mounting occasional forays forward when required, and lastly, getting a couple of good forwards, one of which can track back if required.
It's only time and money which makes things happen and we know that money is short.
At least he is improving what he has got at the moment, so in for me.
Long haul not short term.......................................................though play off place would be nice!:blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here