Garcia

• Out

Votes: 51 10.4%
  • In

Votes: 379 77.0%
  • Fence

Votes: 62 12.6%

• Total voters

I know I only see 4 or 5 games a season but I don't get this argument that we don't play attacking football. As others have said we make lots of chances, you can only do that by playing attacking football.

OK we don't score enough goals, we all know that, but if we could just sort that out then we'd be a reall force to be reckoned with.

Buzzard

Oct 5, 2009
I dont think that Oscar is the problem, to me it is Barber. When he was out in Canada it was said that he fell out with the chairman due to him micro managing the club. He has said that he thinks it is right that Oscar is only the coach as poyet was getting to much say in the club. so is it a case of due what you can with what you have got. He brought in nathan Jones not oscar, you never see them talking during the game. Paul Barber said on the radio on saturday that the players brought in are on the say so of Oscar, but then said that Oscar says who he wants and the director of football goes out and trys to get them. Is it a case of we could not get him but we got this one instead. I think in a few years time we will have a football club financially sound with no debts, but a team that lacks ambition and being also runs due to lack of money being put into the playing budget. I am not saying we should go out and get ourselves in debt.

I know I only see 4 or 5 games a season but I don't get this argument that we don't play attacking football. As others have said we make lots of chances, you can only do that by playing attacking football.

OK we don't score enough goals, we all know that, but if we could just sort that out then we'd be a reall force to be reckoned with.

As an aside, do you live near Jaranilla de la vera? My wife's sister and husband retired there (from Chelmsford!) in 2004 and are here next week. They've already invited us over again for Los Escobazos in December - now that's a wild night if you've never been, they managed to burn through some overhead power cables and much of the tarmac a few years back.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Did you read what I posted?

"I think more of our shots would go in, if we had Orlandi, Crofts, a fit Ulloa available all season plus a decent replacement for Barnes".

Lets look at where we would expect the goals to come from.....
We have an over reliance on one person; Ulloa, he has been injured for part of the season.
Buckley has been inconsistent (and injured), occasionally wading in with goals.
Kaz. erratic (and injured)
Our biggest goal scoring threat from midfield (Crofts) is injured.
Orlandi, who i think people are expecting to contribute has been injured.
Hoskins. Injured
CMS. Injured

Clue for all of the above = INJURED for part of the season. so when they 're injured we have to rely on other players (see below), plus I would suggest that a player who is carrying or coming back from injury is not going to be that consistent when it comes to playing performance and that may affect their sharpness in front of goal.

That leaves.
Solly. Young and snatches at chances
JFC. Young and snatches at chances
Ince. Young and snatches at chances

Hmm.... anything similar about those three?

So, who's left who could be contributing?
Lets ignore the defence as it's kind of a bonus when they score ;-)

Kemi. disappeared
Spanish Dave. Not been his best season.
Andrews. I don't think he is aware of where the goal is.
Barnes. Sold.

So who did we get in?
Lita. No idea what went on with him.
Obika. Worst player ever.
Lingaard. Jury's out. Clearly a talent, but.... young and snatches at chances?

So in summary it's not that I think they're weak, I think our primary goal threats have been inconsistent, mainly due to injury, plus a number of the shooting opportunities have fallen to young players who haven't made the most of those chances.

As for the stats thing. Your view is totally subjective.

The stats which are compiled independently, indicate that you are wrong. Commentators have consistently said that we are dominating games. The majority of people posting don't agree with you either.

I've just spent a stupid amount of time typing this. But it's probably pointless.

Excellent post. We have been playing with one hand behind our back all year. Sadly we have lost KEY players to injury and transfer and have not had the funds to replace them. The continuity has been non-existent and in my opinion we have done well to still be in the hunt for the playoffs. Getting pretty tired of the knee jerk reactions every time a result doesn't go our way. I went last night and was as frustrated as anyone by the result (which was very harsh) and our inability to make the most of good attacking opportunities but hey that's football, I'll live with it. Looking forward to saturday now, let's move on.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I dont think that Oscar is the problem, to me it is Barber. When he was out in Canada it was said that he fell out with the chairman due to him micro managing the club. He has said that he thinks it is right that Oscar is only the coach as poyet was getting to much say in the club. so is it a case of due what you can with what you have got. He brought in nathan Jones not oscar, you never see them talking during the game. Paul Barber said on the radio on saturday that the players brought in are on the say so of Oscar, but then said that Oscar says who he wants and the director of football goes out and trys to get them. Is it a case of we could not get him but we got this one instead. I think in a few years time we will have a football club financially sound with no debts, but a team that lacks ambition and being also runs due to lack of money being put into the playing budget. I am not saying we should go out and get ourselves in debt.

You're being very selective with what you're hearing there. He said Oscar identifies targets, or positions or even type of players he wants, then our head of football operations goes out and finds who is available, comes back and presents the options back to the coach. Barber made it clear that ultimately Oscar had the final say on who of those options he might want (if affordable). Oscar will no doubt already be telling Burke what he is looking for in the summer, whether specific names, or type of player.

Oscar has been in this country 9 months. He couldn't possibly have time to learn about his own squad, and scout his own targets in a country he's never managed in. Our set up means we can appoint a coach like Oscar to come in and learn on the job as it were. We haven't scored enough, but I think that is more down to the players than tactics or coaching. Had we had Buckley, Crofts, Ulloa and Orlandi fully fit most of the season, I'd be confident in suggesting we'd have 10 - 15 more goals to this point.

Oscar's Maccabi scored 78 goals in their 36 game title winning season. The season before they scored 55, the previous champions got 48! He's not a defensive manager, but he needs time to develop this squad, and gain experience of English football.

To be where we are with 9 to play is a great achievement I think. It's been painful to watch at times, but we're still in there, and I seriously believe we'll be a lot better next season. I look back to last season when Pearson's neck was on the block, even Dyche finishing 11th with Burnley. You have to give a manager a bit of time.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Right. Just so I've got this straight: you think Paul Barber came in from Canada & went "you know what we need here? A little-known Welsh Charlton Athletic youth coach with Albion history and a decent grasp of Spanish"?

That's ludicrous. He'd probably never even heard of Nathan Jones. We employ people to make football decisions and, to a reasonable degree, I don't believe Paul Barber is one of them, much less that he personally chooses football staff and imposes them on the manager. If anybody at board level would have known about Jones, it would be more likely to have been Dick Knight (back in the day) or Tony Bloom.

Jeez, I accept you have your perceptions about Barber, largely due to off field issues perhaps, but come on, be sensible here!

Oh, and I see Oscar & Jones talking on the touchline plenty- I think you're being a little selective to suit your argument.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For a bit of light relief, an old boss of mine was great at keeping things in perspective, and often said 'remember, there is always someone worse off than yourself'. With that, I present the ManU 'What will it take to sack Moyes' thread from Redcafe

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/what-will-it-take-to-sack-moyes.384307/page-16

Personally think OG has done a decent enough job with the awful catalogue of injuries he's had to deal with (seriously who would've done better ?), and happy to give him a full summer window and a good shot at next season to properly make his mark. If we're not comfortable play-off material by Christmas and averaging a goal a game then I'll maybe need to reconsider but not for now. IN.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Do this poll again when Oscar has had 9 months with a virtually injury free squad and is able to field the same team for 2 games running. That is what the issue is, not his style of play.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Think about how Poyet's departure caused mayhem here. What must it have down in the dressing room? And then the month or so of uncertainty before OG arrives. At the beginning of the season most posters here were saying that 9/10 place finish would be good. We're still in the play off mix (although I'd put my money on Ipswich to finish in sixth place). OG is trying to make the team play to an intelligent system, and he's having to do it while grinding out results and with major injuries to key players. The problem is a basic one - we can't score goals although we make the chances, but we're in a good place and looking in the right direction. All is good. Strengthen in the summer, lots of work on the training ground, and we'll be flying next season.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Think about how Poyet's departure caused mayhem here. What must it have down in the dressing room? And then the month or so of uncertainty before OG arrives. At the beginning of the season most posters here were saying that 9/10 place finish would be good. We're still in the play off mix (although I'd put my money on Ipswich to finish in sixth place). OG is trying to make the team play to an intelligent system, and he's having to do it while grinding out results and with major injuries to key players. The problem is a basic one - we can't score goals although we make the chances, but we're in a good place and looking in the right direction. All is good. Strengthen in the summer, lots of work on the training ground, and we'll be flying next season.

good evening and welcome.....yes ,yes , yes , i think the frustration may be with the comings and goings of messrs Lita and Obikaand now Lingard , Obika being shayte and Lita whilst being a reasonable striker in his time didn't even amass 180 mins on the pitch and Lindgard being played out of position...( go on ,please correct me....not you NK , the other lot) we thought we had your archetypal box to box midfielder in Augustien but the ****er has disappeared.....so i think that the long in the tooth fans are starting to wonder who the feck is getting the players in ,are they actually asking OG if he wants them and if so why isn't he playing them once they are here......this has been a real roller-coaster of a season and unfortunately we have thrown away 6 points that i think most people would have thought 4 points in.......for this reason i say bollox and have a good night my son...:thumbsup:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
We all know that it must have been hard taking over from Gus with all the other rubbish going on, it's also been tough with the injuries. Credit to Oscar for playing and sticking with the younger players, maybe he has had to with FFP, I don't know.

My only observation is that we don't play creative football, yes I know we have more efforts most weeks but how many are clear cut. We don't pack the opponents penalty area. I suppose you can't have everything as our defensive record is fantastic but I would like a bit more entertainment.

I voted fence, glass half full, half empty.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Calm down everyone, it was only Vulture. He has his little moments every now and again.

Couple of observations:

-I'd be interested to know which of those slating the "negative football" supposedly played last night were actually at the game and which have made this judgment based on radio commentary. I thought it was far from our worst away performance of the season. We displayed plenty of attacking intent in the first half in particular, and got lots of joy down the wings. I rather wish LuaLua was in a better run of form as they looked so vulnerable to pace at the back, and we were beating the full backs every time. The crosses into the box, several times, weren't quite hitting the mark. We also hit the bar with a header and our corners occasionally looked slightly more threatening than they have done in previous games. Yes, we faded a bit in the second half, but that was always going to happen as Wednesday probably got a bollocking at half time for looking so mediocre.

-actually digging a thread out would probably make me lose the will to live, but I distinctly remember plenty of threads at times last season about Gus Poyet's "negative football". Anyone who went to that away game at Ashton Gate last season will know exactly what I mean, and that was when we actually had a few fit striking options. People used to moan loads about Poyet's perceived lack of killer instinct (quite possibly the same ones who are unfavourably comparing Oscar now).

-Oscar can demand all the dynamic, attacking football that he wants, but if Will Buckley breaks, unaccompanied into the penalty box and slots one comfortably into the goalkeeper's midriff, or Lingard continues to shoot with all the venom of a sleeping My Little Pony, I don't know quite what anyone expects the manager to do about it (WITHIN the confines of the current squad).

I felt a lot worse after the Ipswich result, for some reason. Not sure why that is, as typically an injury time goal is all the more painful. Maybe it's down to the other results. Feels like a let off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports