Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gaming - 2017

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I think Cyberpunk is at a playable level now. There are a few glitches still but I think its ok. I do understand the frustration as it was so long in the making, and anticpation was high. I think if you go in with a bit patience and accept that it won't be perfect, you'd probably be surprised at how good it is. There's a lot of doom and gloom in the media, that in my opinion make it sound a lot worse than it is in reality.

For me, my favourite game of all time is Skyrim. I just think it was genre defining and pushed the boundaries completely. The fact is it will be 10 years old this year, and I still think there are very few games that come close to it. Anyone making an open world game today, should sit down and study Skyrim as a foundation for their game.

One of the things that I absolutely love about it is the openess to the game. There are lots of openworld games that still make you have to follow a story from points a to b to c etc. Skyrim lets you choose what story you do, when to take up story missions, if at all. You don't even have to complete the main story if you dont want to, you can go off and create your own adventure. I genuinely don't think there are many games that offer that.

Following on from that I think Fallout 4 is also pretty amazing. From a technical point of view, its probably better than Skyrim, in terms of graphics and little touches like the main character being able to speak. They basically took the gameplay from Skyrim and polished it. It's a perfect example of what I said earlier about game developers using Skyrim as a foundation for a game. I could play Fallout 4 and Skyrim all day every day. I think I perfer Skyrim though, just because it really did push the boat out when it came out. It was such a big leap, and set the standard for other games, its such a brilliant achievement and the fact its still amazing and beats a lot of modern day rivals is testament to a wonderfully crafted game.

How about you? What are your favourite games?

Skyrim is my favourite game by a country mile, I've played it through multiple times already and I could easily start another game now.

I've recently started playing FreeSpace 2 again after getting round to installing FreeSpace Open and I'd forgotten how fantastic it is, it is a shame they thought no one would be interested in a space flight sim and there hasn't been a decent one since.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Think I am finally pulling the trigger on Tsushima today, has anyone played Immortal Fenyx Rising?

I've just finished Fenyx Rising. So far my stand out game for this generation, its outstanding and well worth a purchase. A lot of offers for it at the moment too.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Skyrim is my favourite game by a country mile, I've played it through multiple times already and I could easily start another game now.

I've recently started playing FreeSpace 2 again after getting round to installing FreeSpace Open and I'd forgotten how fantastic it is, it is a shame they thought no one would be interested in a space flight sim and there hasn't been a decent one since.

It sounds like you will also be eagerly anticpating Bethesda's upcoming effort 'Starfield', which is billed as Skyrim in space. Personally I absolutely can't wait for the new Bethesda titles to come out. Starfield has largely been clouded in secrecy so far. Which does kind of suggest that it's a long way off. But the company are excited about a game that they are calling a new franchise, alongside Elder Scrolls and Fallout, which suggests they are going big with it. I have a sneaky suspicion that just about the time the pandemic finally ends and we can all go outside again, Bethesda will release some titles that will encourage me to remain indoors for days on end.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
I can't point out some particular kind of games. I like WoW, Valorant, Destiny 2, Crysis 2, sometimes can play CS GO.

It sounds like you enjoy the online multiplayer experience. Out of interest do you happily join up with random folk or are their specific people you play with? Personally I found playing Call of Duty online years ago quite a formative experience. Although the games were, incredibly good I found playing thems brought me into contact with a level of racism, homophobia and just the general dregs of society that I had never expereinced before or come across in any other form. Some of the people I met on there are genuinely some of the worst human beings I've ever interacted with. As a result I tend to shy away from playing with strangers online. I prefer to play with a small group of friends, or if they're not around, just do my own thing.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill

Have you checked out Elite Dangerous? they have a new expansion coming this year, looks like you can go explore planets etc like No Mans Sky (also worth checking out)

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Have you checked out Elite Dangerous? they have a new expansion coming this year, looks like you can go explore planets etc like No Mans Sky (also worth checking out)

I bought Elite Dangerous ages ago, but I struggled a bit to get to grips with it early doors and ended up leaving it to oneside. I keep meaning to go back to it and dedicate some time to it, but just haven't got round to it yet. Have you got any pointers that might help me settle into it?

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
I bought Elite Dangerous ages ago, but I struggled a bit to get to grips with it early doors and ended up leaving it to oneside. I keep meaning to go back to it and dedicate some time to it, but just haven't got round to it yet. Have you got any pointers that might help me settle into it?

Not really, its a bit of a slow burner until you get to grips with the controls. If Skyrim is your thing then how about Elder Scrolls online?

Braggfan

May 12, 2014

Not really, its a bit of a slow burner until you get to grips with the controls. If Skyrim is your thing then how about Elder Scrolls online?

Well thats good to know it's a slow burner. I don't mind that, as I can prepare myself to be patient, I think i probably just need to dedicate some time to it.

I struggled with Elder Scrolls online to behonest. I think it loses some of the interactiveness of the environment you get with the single player games of Elder Scrolls and Fallout. So much so in fact, that it put me off checking out Fallout 76. Which is a shame because I really wanted to like it.

My cousin works for Bethesda, and I remember chatting to him about Skyrim when it first came out. He told me then that they were working one Elder Scrolls Online, years before it came out. I think I had an image in my head about what I wanted it to be, and it just didn't live up to that unfortunately.

I do think its interesting though when you look at some of the big companies with multiple big franchises, they seem to flick between them, polishing the new versions effectively. Bethesda alternate between Elder Scrolls and Fallout, and seem to have really honed the single player, open world platform. Similarly Rockstar, have alternated between GTA and Red Dead, but honed and polished the online openworld genre. It does seem to be an effective way of making games that are already very good, better and better.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013

I put hundreds of hours into No Man's Sky before my son was born, haven't touched it since. My gaming is pretty limited to whatever is available on the Switch these days although I haven't touched that for about 3 weeks. The Outer Worlds was the last thing I played which wasn't too bad.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I think Cyberpunk is at a playable level now. There are a few glitches still but I think its ok. I do understand the frustration as it was so long in the making, and anticpation was high. I think if you go in with a bit patience and accept that it won't be perfect, you'd probably be surprised at how good it is. There's a lot of doom and gloom in the media, that in my opinion make it sound a lot worse than it is in reality.

[MENTION=41898]Franky Small[/MENTION] Playing on a base Xbox One it is disappointing to see what it looks like on PC. Whilst the core of the game remains an ambitiously impressive achievement, I have found the limitations of playing it on my console tiresome at best. Seeing what can be achieved on the same console (Red Dead Redemption 2, Control, etc.) visually, I don't think the doom and gloom around the issues are unjustified. I have ploughed in around 50 hours so far and I would say I get a complete crash (having to reboot the game) every 3-4 hours. Last night it was as simple as loading up the map. On top of that technical glitches are weird, random and abundant. Despite this, it is the most I've enjoyed the narrative of a game since RDR2, the side missions are just sensational, and every time I return to the main story I find myself gripped for 2 odd hours.

My honest opinion is that there is a great game in there if you have the hardware to run it. Currently, it's a great narrative mired by technical issues. If you have a top end PC go for it. If you don't I'd wait until you have an Xbox Series S/X or a PS5 and CDPR have released the next gen update before heading in. It's a single player experience and the reality is it is only going to get a) better, and b) cheaper as time goes on.

Franky Small

Nov 29, 2020
UK
[MENTION=41898]Franky Small[/MENTION] Playing on a base Xbox One it is disappointing to see what it looks like on PC. Whilst the core of the game remains an ambitiously impressive achievement, I have found the limitations of playing it on my console tiresome at best. Seeing what can be achieved on the same console (Red Dead Redemption 2, Control, etc.) visually, I don't think the doom and gloom around the issues are unjustified. I have ploughed in around 50 hours so far and I would say I get a complete crash (having to reboot the game) every 3-4 hours. Last night it was as simple as loading up the map. On top of that technical glitches are weird, random and abundant. Despite this, it is the most I've enjoyed the narrative of a game since RDR2, the side missions are just sensational, and every time I return to the main story I find myself gripped for 2 odd hours.

My honest opinion is that there is a great game in there if you have the hardware to run it. Currently, it's a great narrative mired by technical issues. If you have a top end PC go for it. If you don't I'd wait until you have an Xbox Series S/X or a PS5 and CDPR have released the next gen update before heading in. It's a single player experience and the reality is it is only going to get a) better, and b) cheaper as time goes on.
Thank you for sharing your point of view. Couldn't agree with you more :)
it is a pity that one of my favourite games (WoW) is not coming to consoles in the foreseeable future. At least a representative from Blizzard stated that once :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here