Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Gallbladder surgery

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Yes. I had mine out in 2018, whilst on holiday in Las Vegas. Keyhole surgery. Felt terrible on a Tuesday night. Went to a LV hospital on Weds morning, Surgery Weds evening. Released Thursday noon. Restarted my holiday on the Friday.

Of course, I felt sore afterwards, but each day was easier and by the Sunday I was riding a bike - I was determined it wouldnt ruin my holiday

Ive had previous surgery re colitis, so recognise the possible complications.

As for the issues you raise - try and do a little exercise if you can - it does help get rid of anesthetic, plus helps in the general recovery

But, everyone is different. My sister has her gall bladder removed and it took her several weeks to get over it

Good luck

Hope you went to a better hospital than I did (Sunrise). They tried the keyhole surgery but it didn’t happen, looks like they opened me up with a backhoe. Wasn’t in great shape for a couple of weeks but all good now.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Some good tips here. I need to have mine removed due to some recent issues (and fix a hernia) - surgeon can do it quite quickly but annoyingly have quite a bit of travel and other things coming up so trying to assess the best time. Especially annoying that neither was diagnosed by 2 separate GPs and a visit to A&E !

Doesn’t help that my travel insurance is invalid if waiting for an operation…

All the best mate, apart from me catching an infection the actual operation was fine. In and out same day , ended up back in for 14 days with infected and pneumonia, wouldn't wish that on anyone.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I went to Spring Valley Hospital, Las Vegas. To be honest I thought the level of care was good. Although I did wonder what looked like coat hooks were behind seating areas - until I released they were to hold morphine drips

I had tremendous pain and felt terribly ill on the Tuesday morning. At Tuesday evening, I had the operation (Keyhole). Wednesday lunchtime I was released from Hospital. Thursday back on my holiday - albeit a bit sore, but that dissipated as the days went on.

For anyone who does have gallbladder operation, or possibly any operation, a work up of activity/exercise post op does help with recovery. Not over the top exercise mind.

Hope you went to a better hospital than I did (Sunrise). They tried the keyhole surgery but it didn’t happen, looks like they opened me up with a backhoe. Wasn’t in great shape for a couple of weeks but all good now.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Some good tips here. I need to have mine removed due to some recent issues (and fix a hernia) - surgeon can do it quite quickly but annoyingly have quite a bit of travel and other things coming up so trying to assess the best time. Especially annoying that neither was diagnosed by 2 separate GPs and a visit to A&E !

The best time is now. No point waiting to see if more complications come along, or if the surgeon drops dead or suddenly emigrates, or of the hospital cancels you. Get it done.

As for insurance, if your insurance is invalid for travel then presumably you will get back your travel costs.

I had mine done and felt fine 3 days later and never-been-better a week after that.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

I had mine out in 2010 and had a trip to Japan booked before the op ( before I knew I had gallstones too)...

A quick look online found a travel insurance company that would insure me...It was fairly pricey, around £250, but worth it and never had to cancel holiday...

And as a footnote, 14 days on Japanese diet and not a gallstone stirred !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here