Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Gallbladder surgery

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Anyone else had their gallbladder removed through keyhole surgery ? Just after some info on recovery time etc. Had mine removed Weds last week late afternoon and was discharged the same evening, since then I've been feeling really fatigued and have totally lost my appetite,, this may be down to the brutal liver shrinkage diet I was on for two weeks prior to operation. Nearly a weeks gone b and not feeling much better ! I've had 3 Major stomach operations in the past so know that recovery can take some time but thought maybe wrongly that keyhole would be much quicker, obviously not :down:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
From my experience and talking to others , recovery time can be down to the skill of the surgeon involved . Like all professionals , some are better than others .

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Yep, had mine removed 3 years ago by keyhole surgery. Took a couple of weeks at least until I felt back to normal. I had it done the first week of December, took off the 3 weeks before Christmas, and returned to work as normal after the holidays.
I would give it another week or two - but I suspect you'll start feeling OK soon. Remember the effects of the anesthetic can take a while to wear off too.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Yep, had mine removed 3 years ago by keyhole surgery. Took a couple of weeks at least until I felt back to normal. I had it done the first week of December, took off the 3 weeks before Christmas, and returned to work as normal after the holidays.
I would give it another week or two - but I suspect you'll start feeling OK soon. Remember the effects of the anesthetic can take a while to wear off too.

Thanks mate

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Yes. I had mine out in 2018, whilst on holiday in Las Vegas. Keyhole surgery. Felt terrible on a Tuesday night. Went to a LV hospital on Weds morning, Surgery Weds evening. Released Thursday noon. Restarted my holiday on the Friday.

Of course, I felt sore afterwards, but each day was easier and by the Sunday I was riding a bike - I was determined it wouldnt ruin my holiday

Ive had previous surgery re colitis, so recognise the possible complications.

As for the issues you raise - try and do a little exercise if you can - it does help get rid of anesthetic, plus helps in the general recovery

But, everyone is different. My sister has her gall bladder removed and it took her several weeks to get over it

Good luck

Last edited:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Had mine removed about six years ago and was definitely feeling better on week two. Some of my "feel better" was definitely down to the fact that the bloody thing was gone and I have been able to eat whatever I want since that time......a massive plus to look forward to...!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Same as cjd. I tend to recover pretty quickly so I can't really can't offer much advice on that, but the feeling of being able to eat anything I wanted without the possibility of that unbelievable pain was so liberating.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Yes. I had mine out in 2018, whilst on holiday in Las Vegas. Keyhole surgery. Felt terrible on a Tuesday night. Went to a LV hospital on Weds morning, Surgery Weds evening. Released Thursday noon. Restarted my holiday on the Friday.

Of course, I felt sore afterwards, but each day was easier and by the Sunday I was riding a bike - I was determined it wouldnt ruin my holiday

As for the issues you raise - try and do a little exercise if you can - it does help get rid of anesthetic, plus helps in the general recovery

But, everyone is different. My sister has her gall bladder removed and it took her several weeks to get over it

Good luck
Thank you, been trying to get out for a short walk every day

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
I'm wondering if the liver shrinkage diet which consisted of 5 sugar free yoghurts and 2 tins of weight watchers soup a day has also had an effect on my appetite. Certainly lost some weight on it !

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk

Good luck
Thank you, been trying to get out for a short walk every day

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Anyone else had their gallbladder removed through keyhole surgery ? Just after some info on recovery time etc. Had mine removed Weds last week late afternoon and was discharged the same evening, since then I've been feeling really fatigued and have totally lost my appetite,, this may be down to the brutal liver shrinkage diet I was on for two weeks prior to operation. Nearly a weeks gone b and not feeling much better ! I've had 3 Major stomach operations in the past so know that recovery can take some time but thought maybe wrongly that keyhole would be much quicker, obviously not :down:

Had mine out in mid April via keyhole but got kept in overnight because of other issues. Despite doing a desk job I still needed the two weeks off work as I felt knackered a lot of the time but really started to feel better towards the end of the 2 weeks, so hopefully things will improve for you soon. My appetite was a bit suppressed for longer than I expected but it started to pick up about 3-4 weeks after the op and I've had to calm things down a bit since to avoid putting weight back on. Things improved for me once I picked up the rate of exercise, even just going for a walk seemed to help. Best of luck with your recovery

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Had mine out in mid April via keyhole but got kept in overnight because of other issues. Despite doing a desk job I still needed the two weeks off work as I felt knackered a lot of the time but really started to feel better towards the end of the 2 weeks, so hopefully things will improve for you soon. My appetite was a bit suppressed for longer than I expected but it started to pick up about 3-4 weeks after the op and I've had to calm things down a bit since to avoid putting weight back on. Things improved for me once I picked up the rate of exercise, even just going for a walk seemed to help. Best of luck with your recovery

Thanks for the reasuring reply, good to know I'm not being too much of a wimp :)not been a full week yet so hoping for improvement soon .

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
I knew i felt I'll, caught an infection and have been in hospital for the past 12 days. Also have a chest infection both of which are slowly getting better. Hopefully be able to get home sometime next week

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I knew i felt I'll, caught an infection and have been in hospital for the past 12 days. Also have a chest infection both of which are slowly getting better. Hopefully be able to get home sometime next week

Hope you are fully fit soon.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Fingers crossed for a quick recovery, we need more images of Fridat beer posing in front of pretty backdrop :)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Some good tips here. I need to have mine removed due to some recent issues (and fix a hernia) - surgeon can do it quite quickly but annoyingly have quite a bit of travel and other things coming up so trying to assess the best time. Especially annoying that neither was diagnosed by 2 separate GPs and a visit to A&E !

Doesn’t help that my travel insurance is invalid if waiting for an operation…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here